• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis

Dennis

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14824 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 15 March 2018 - 09:16 AM

Read it here

https://theblog.adob...-cloud-pricing/

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group

Nikon D4, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#2 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 20409 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:37 PM

And.... the screw tightens a little deeper into your wallet  ..... 

Signature_Line_V4

#3 Old Dog New Tricks

Old Dog New Tricks

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8294 posts
  • Interests:Scenic & Nature Photography, Travel, Cooking, Kayaking, Grandson and Granddaughter.

Posted 16 March 2018 - 07:09 PM

The photography subscription won't change.

Posted Image

"Photography is man's attempt at immortality. To save our memories and share them. The places we have been, the people we have known, the things we have done. To share with others for eternity, or until the images fade away."

Shooting with
Film Nikon N60, N70(2), EM, Mamiya C-330, C-33, RB67
Digital Nikon D7100 D7000, Nikon D200(RIP), Fuji S3Pro(Retired)

#4 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23114 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 16 March 2018 - 11:11 PM

The photography subscription won't change.

For now and I keep waiting for them to kill Classic. Im still very uneasy with Adobe.

Jim
  • Art likes this

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#5 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4213 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, getting photos of people at their best.

Posted 18 March 2018 - 08:05 AM

If they kill LR Classic, I think it's gonna be due to the shift toward tablets. The new LR CC is aimed at that series of operating systems.

Someone made a point in a previous discussion that they thought Apple might start eliminating the laptops and desktop machines in favor of tablets like the iPad Pro. Microsoft has already taken a big step in that direction with the Surface, and Samsung has made quite a dent in the tablet market as well.

At my last job, we had surfaces connected to a pair of 27" HP monitors and it was just like using a desktop. Another example -- my wife's little 12" MacBook Air will link up to both of our 27" monitors simultaneously along with a full size keyboard and mouse and it blossoms into a full blown workstation.

Don't be surprised if the Apple comes out with an iOS/OSX hybrid for the iPad that'll be analogous to Windows 10 for the surface in the very near future. Also don't be surprised if the next generation iPhone/Windows Phone/Android Phone can become a full-blown workstation like a surface or MacBook Air can today.

I think the move toward more tablet-centric apps like the new LR CC is inevitable. Once we get settled from the move (which is turning out to be a long process due to construction problems in our new place <_< ), I'm going to download the new LR CC and get accustomed to it. Might not be too long before I'll have a location shoot where I'll be tethered to an iPad instead of a MacBook...
Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#6 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6725 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 18 March 2018 - 12:47 PM

Don, you make some very good points, and you aren't the first one to make them.  It might be just a matter of time.

My problem is that I have a hard time accepting a tablet as more than a toy.  I have an older iPad Air that I use every day.  I read news apps; check weather apps and glance at social media.  Great. 

However, my device has its limits.  Using the iPad keyboard to type is much slower than the Bluetooth keyboard that I'm typing this with.  Then, the screen is pretty small, for looking at spreadsheets.  I'm sure that I could buy hardware and software add-ons that would let me do more.  At some point, however, the cost of the device plus the add-ons might exceed the cost of a good laptop.  :huh:

When it comes to connecting your wife's MacBook to larger monitors, I've done the same thing with my laptops and I love it!  I don't know if I can connect an iPad like that, but I'm betting that it would be a lot more expensive.  :huh:

I think that you will ultimately be proven correct.  How far and how fast will depend on what it's being used for.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#7 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23114 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Posted 18 March 2018 - 02:43 PM

I see a lot of stuff over the next few years going to tablets but for heavy work like true Photoshop and other power intensive applications I can not see the current tablets even the top of the line ones filling the bill. The Windows Surface is more Laptop than tablet, it is more a laptop minus the keyboard with a touchscreen.

This is the surface Pro specs hmm very laptop if you ask me. So if you make a tablet that is a Laptop without a fixed keyboard then essentially its a laptop and I am ok with that it has a HD, full power processor and respectable RAM.

Surface Pro (newest version) Intel Core i7 / 256GB SSD / 8GB RAM and you can get a 1TB SSD in it too that is pretty impressive to be honest. Plus they have a Surface studio think iMac knock off. :P But it is nice looking like the iMac.

Apple seems to be slowing moving its desktop stuff into iMacs which I think is the way to go you get an amazing screen with amazing speed with little clutter. Add a second screen and you have a super system and the iMac pro is jaw dropping in specs and price to be honest but if money was no obstacle I would own one. Plus I see Apple's small Mac mini as the new entry level Apple with the iMac being it flagship years ago it was the iMac that was entry think Bondi Blue that you can still use by the way and the super huge G Macs.

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#8 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 14824 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 06:31 PM

Clouds are not just for storage. When WiFi gets fast enough, cloud computing, pay by the cycles/mips/ what ever you want to call them.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#9 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 20409 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 19 March 2018 - 08:00 PM

Clouds are not just for storage. When WiFi gets fast enough, cloud computing, pay by the cycles/mips/ what ever you want to call them.

Yes, there has been talk about this for decades!  This is not a new concept and may very likely go this way. You PAY as you PLAY!

This is a very dangerous game.

You really need to have a system where YOU control your data, files and information, not the CLOUD.  I also don't like being held hostage by software companies over my data, files and information by being forced to subscribe to their software.

Signature_Line_V4

#10 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • 4213 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:37 AM

Here's the nightmare scenario:

Don't be surprised if, in a few years, there will be no more local storage available.  You won't be able to buy a hard disk or SSD drive, or a CF card, or a jump drive, or a CD-R or any other storage device, and even if you could, there will be no ports on the computers for them.  It may even become illegal to possess them if the corporations have their way.  All storage, applications and even operating systems will be in the cloud and be subscription based.

The Internet simply will stop working with older OS'es, so old computers with private storage will become increasingly useless and won't be able to shield you from the inevitability of cloud-only operation.  Then if you want to keep your files, you pay every month.  Can't pay? Your intellectual property converts to someone else's ownership and is likely disposed of.  Privacy will not exist.  Can't pay to keep your tax returns in the cloud?  They'll be turned over to someone who can use them to extract more money from you.  Lose your job and need Word to create a resume?  You'd better have enough reserves to keep paying for it, cause you can't own it.  Think you'll be able to get around that by using Notepad ++? The OS will charge you a hosting fee for that, assuming you still can pay for the OS subscription.

As far as photography, film will no longer be available, and pen and paper might even be difficult to find.  You will be forced to keep EVERYTHING in the cloud. 

I heard something last night on the news about elimination of individual vehicle ownership by 2025 (seriously - it was on KTLA, I think) and there's even been talk of elimination of individual home ownership at some point.  Wanna get to work?  Uber, Lyft, or public transportation will be your only options.  Bicycles? They'll get you 10 years in the slammer for possession and 50 years for use.  Want a place to live?  Rent or go to prison.  All so you can make the MAN richer.  Tycoons are buying up water rights by the hundreds of square miles.  I've even heard talk of people trying to figure out ways to buy air rights!!  Not air as in "air time," air as in what you breathe.

Orwell was an amateur...

Rant Mode OFF.....

Don
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#11 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 6725 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 11:19 AM

You really need to have a system where YOU control your data, files and information, not the CLOUD.  I also don't like being held hostage by software companies over my data, files and information by being forced to subscribe to their software.

I'm not disagreeing with you, Art, but I wonder if you could be more specific on how we control our data?

We use Dropbox for storage because Angela and I use different computers.  Equally important, it gives us virtual backup for important documents.  While it isn't free, it is very reasonably priced.  Setting up my own storage is the only way that I can see having the type of control that you seem to be suggesting.  The time and hardware costs would far exceed the monthly cost.  :o

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#12 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 20409 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 03:25 PM

Mark,

When you become a SLAVE to companies like Adobe, you use THEIR software on the cloud and you STORE YOUR work on the cloud.  You really no longer have control.  If you do not pay, they have your work. This is absolutely WRONG.

From a security point of view.... well.... you are at their mercy.  If they don't get hacked, you are secure.  You have no choice, it is what ever happens to them.  Every so often, no matter how big, no matter how powerful, no matter how secure, some big faceless corporation gets HACKED.

I am a strong supporter of....

1) I pay, I own the software.  I can do with it what I want.  This isn't really the agreement as all software purchases are LICENSES!  You own the right to use it on one or two computers.  Well, I WANT THAT RIGHT!

2) I can store my data how I CHOOSE!  The onus is on me.

I pay once, I use without worry I cannot afford it later.

When you lose your cash flow or means of making revenue and are forced to decide what to do with the limited resources you have... food, shelter etc... versus getting your life's work back.... painful choice!  ESPECIALLY, if it is artistic in nature, has some potential value and a possible source of future income, however remote it will be, if you don't pay.... THEY OWN IT and can do what they want with it.

NO THANKS.  

CAN'T STAND ADOBE.

Every time you pay, you support them and this concept.  It should be a FAILED concept.

Putting your work in the CLOUD is not a good thing, in my opinion unless you have funds to last you a very long time. It is not cheap. When you are a business, a few hundred dollars a year, here, and there means little when cash flow is good.  You have to live through a tough cash flow cycle to understand how at risk you are.

AND, it gets worse when you think, in a PANIC... you don't want to pay anymore but now you are going to DOWNLOAD your stuff and store it yourself.

Really......WHERE?

You could have 10 TERRABYTES of stuff on the cloud.... good luck doing that in a day or two.  You have to be very well organized.

And, maybe you are and this is not a big deal to you (speaking in the "general")... and then that is OK.  Again, knock yourself out.

This cloud concept has been talked about since I was an Apple Computer dealer and that is a long time ago.  It is near the Zenith of its reality, it is not quite there yet....not everyone has embraced it.  In 5 years, it will be much, much more proliferated.

When everyone is on the cloud, who will LOOK at your data?  You will password protect it.  WOW, I soooooo trust that to the company storying the stuff.  You think they can't access your stuff?   :lol:

NO THANK YOU.

Note: Didn't the FBI go after Apple to let them have access to an iPhone used by that shooter in Florida? was it?  Sooooo secure!  AND, some other person NOT Apple, hacked the phone!  Yup, I so trust these companies with my secure data.

Signature_Line_V4

#13 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • 4213 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 12:08 AM

Just downloaded the Luminar trial and will be playing around with it.  Any other suggestions for Photoshop and Lightroom substitutes??

Don

#14 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 20409 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:32 AM

Just downloaded the Luminar trial and will be playing around with it.  Any other suggestions for Photoshop and Lightroom substitutes??

I have Luminar, not that impressed.

DxO PhotoLab looks promising.
Signature_Line_V4

#15 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5339 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:49 PM

I'm creased laughing at all these people who live in cities with their lovely fast internet connections worried about local storage disappearing because of the evil cloud - how about you take a moment to step out of your 21st century tech bubble and think about the rest of the world where internet connections are either slow or none existent.

Stop having hissy fits and get real.

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him.

#16 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 20409 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:04 PM

I'm creased laughing at all these people who live in cities with their lovely fast internet connections worried about local storage disappearing because of the evil cloud - how about you take a moment to step out of your 21st century tech bubble and think about the rest of the world where internet connections are either slow or none existent.

I think you missed the point.

Not worried about local storage.
Signature_Line_V4

#17 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • 4213 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 08:02 AM

Yep, you missed the point. It's called 'exaggeration' or perhaps 'sarcasm.' It's used to amplify an idea by pushing it near, to, or past the point of the ridiculous, though I wouldn't be surprised if some of it happened in some form or another.
Don

#18 JasonTO

JasonTO

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Interests:Photography Interests: Birds, mammals, reptiles, amphibians, fish, insects, mushrooms, landscapes, murals, sculptures, graffiti, architecture, monuments, etc.

Other interests: Archaeology, anthropology, paleoanthropology, archaeoastronomy, history, ancient history, mythology, folklore, geography, etc.

Posted 24 March 2018 - 05:40 AM

As a side topic about the cloud, not related to Adobe CC, I find it very useful for my music collection (hundreds of GB and many of the files are impossible to replace-vinyl and cassette rips of stuff that was never digitalized, re-released on CD, etc.). 

So, if your house burns down, there goes all your hard drives and back up drives (unless you have another offsite location where you're storing these drives). If the hard drive gets corrupted, it costs an arm and a leg to have someone try and retrieve the data (if it is even retrievable at that point). I have no issue paying a few bucks a month to have a TB of cloud storage for my music and other digital files. It's not even a dent of what my music collection would cost to replace (not to mention the time and energy of trying to find it all again).

#19 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 14824 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 10:37 AM

Cloud storage isnt magical, just storage farm in someones building. They use raid tech, and others so individual failures are handled. But, what is that someones backup? Because that someones building can burn down as well. I know one of the major players lost terabytes of data to a power surge. The customers own backups were used to restore their data. So, it all depends on who is making the backups.

Thanks, Dennis.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#20 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23114 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:21 PM

I do indeed keep one portable HD in my climate controlled storage I swap them out monthly with my in the house backup HD.

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#21 JasonTO

JasonTO

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Interests:Photography Interests: Birds, mammals, reptiles, amphibians, fish, insects, mushrooms, landscapes, murals, sculptures, graffiti, architecture, monuments, etc.

Other interests: Archaeology, anthropology, paleoanthropology, archaeoastronomy, history, ancient history, mythology, folklore, geography, etc.

Posted 24 March 2018 - 04:32 PM

I do indeed keep one portable HD in my climate controlled storage I swap them out monthly with my in the house backup HD.

Jim

I have everything backed up on SSS devices, discs, and the cloud. I like the option of off-site storage.

#22 JasonTO

JasonTO

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 04:53 PM

Cloud storage isnt magical, just storage farm in someones building. They use raid tech, and others so individual failures are handled. But, what is that someones backup? Because that someones building can burn down as well. I know one of the major players lost terabytes of data to a power surge. The customers own backups were used to restore their data. So, it all depends on who is making the backups.

True. Magic isn't real anyways ;)

I still like the option of having a third method of storage that is off site. I'm well aware of the risks of power surges and other factors that can ruin data stored on the cloud. I don't just use the cloud for my back ups, I also use discs and SSS drives, etc. My point was, I have no issue paying for extra back up in the cloud since some of my music collection is irreplaceable, and I can't put a price on it (nor the time and energy it's taken over the years to cultivate it) and if something ever happened where I live (fire, flooding, etc.), then I'll be able to retrieve my files from the cloud (unless the storage facilities housing those servers, which aren't in my city anyways, simultaneously get struck by some disaster beforehand).

#23 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 6725 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 12:47 PM

Very good points from many people.

I've had trouble wrapping my head around some of the points made because when I use the Cloud (specifically Dropbox), it is less about storage and backup and more about file sharing between remote computers.  For our consulting business, Dropbox allows me to share files with Angela from anywhere with access to cell networks or the internet.  I can also share files with my client in San Francisco.  If I have an off-site meeting, I don't have lug wads of paper - I can look at it very quickly in Dropbox.

I only started using it for photo storage within the last couple of years.  I used it for backup during our trip back East in 2016.  More recently, I've found that it allows me to shoot tethered to my beat up old laptop, then import the files into LR on my iMac when I'm ready.  It eliminates the need for even more wires and hardware; plus frees up space on my iMac.  The edited images are the only ones that end up on my iMac.  Our company is already paying for the space; why not use it?

My next challenge is figuring out how to transfer images from an SD or CF card to Dropbox without using a computer.  I suspect that setting aside the time to look at this is going to be the biggest obstacle.  B)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#24 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • 4213 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 04:34 PM

I just dealt with a user who had Dropbox as an item in her Explorer favorites and another that somehow has Google Drive integrated with his hard drives on his computer.  I think what you're proposing is actually pretty easy.

Don

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users