• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Whiteley

Dave Whiteley

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6183 posts
  • Interests:Plant, close-up and macrophotography.

Posted 23 January 2007 - 12:04 PM

I have just bought one of these for the diffuser as it is easier to carry around than my piece of plastic, plus the reflectors are handy too. They are rather like a cheaper version of the Lastolite reflectors.:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lencarta-80cm-32-5-i...0QQcmdZViewItem

I have not received it yet so will report on it's quality when I get it, hopefully tomorrow. However their feedback comments on Lencarta products seems to be OK.

I happened to mention I had just bought one on a close-up photography web site and they immediately sold another. Mine was despatched today and when I returned the e-mail acknowledging their despatch e-mail I mentioned the above. I received the following e-mail in reply:-

"Dear Dave,

Many thanks for your kind recommendation on the web. We are just starting out in this business but we are very serious at bring in top quality products at competitive prices to customers, while providing the best customer service possible.

Apart from reflectors, softboxes and etc we are now in the process of introducing some higher end products, like studio flash. One entry-level studio kit is already available in our eBay shop, a tri-head 600ws kit with softboxes, air-cushion stands, radio trigger and other accessories. As I say we are just starting out but we are serious in this business. Maybe later this year we shall start to move away from eBay and you shall see display advertisements in magazines such as Practical Photography and the like. ;-)

Personally I feel for the technology that is involved, big name brands are simply rip-offs. Imagine a single flash head costing more than some of the DSLRs. It's surprising how they manage to distribute through layers of middlemen and demand the customers to pay for it. The essence of our business model will be to distribute high quality products directly to the end customer, not allowing middlemen who probably walk away with something like 70% margin each at the expense of customers."

I reproduce the above solely as a matter of interest because I cannot yet comment upon the quality until I receive my goods. From Luis's comments on the Ailen Bees set-up in Lighting Forum, 200 watt seconds heads may not be powerful enough for many, but I am not into studio lighting so I leave it to others to comment? I presume they are more powerful than an SB 800 on a stand though firing through or bounced off an umbrella though?

The other lighting kit is continuous lights, but I dont know how much heat their fluorescent bulbs put out? The old incandescent Photoflood bulbs were pretty hot, but normal fluorescent lights are cool, so whether these bulbs are hot or cool I do not know! Anyway the reflectors seem cheap. The sellers EBAY shop is here:-

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Lencarta-Photo-Direct

Dave Whiteley
Nikon D200
AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70 mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED
60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor
70mm-180mm AF ED f4.5-f5.6 D Micro-Nikkor
Tamron SP AF200-500MM F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF)
Nikon PB6 belows, Nikon Tubes.
2X Nikon SB600 flash guns
Manfrotto dual flash bracket

#2 Rebel

Rebel

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 12:23 PM

Looks like a good price.

I got a similar one from here where it costs a bit more but is still cheap:

http://www.7dayshop....go=SEARCH&comp=

I've been pleased with it.

The Lastolite ones are overpriced IMO. They are such a simple gadget and once they get dirty or damaged you have to buy a new one so I don't see much point in paying top dollar for them.
Who we are, shapes what we see ~ Chris Orwig

Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go and do that. For what the world needs, is people who have come fully alive ~ Gil Bailie

#3 Dave Whiteley

Dave Whiteley

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6183 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 02:46 PM

Can't quite decide if it's the same one Rebel, but there does not look to be much difference? All the best, Dave Whiteley
Nikon D200

#4 Dave Whiteley

Dave Whiteley

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6183 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 06:43 AM

Reflector came promptly this morning. The goods seem to be pretty well made, I guess of Chinese origin. Like Lastolite there is a knack in folding them up to get them back in their bags! You have to twist the ring in half and then fold it. It takes a bit of practice until you get used to it, a bit like putting up a deck chair for the first time. The reflector surfaces, being usually folded, do exhibit a crumpled appearance which may alarm some people, but this does not matter. In fact is an advantage because it reduces specular reflections from the subject. In macro photography we are told to make small reflectors using kitchen foil but to never use it in it's mirror like state but to first "scrunch" it up into a ball then smooth it out again so you get a surface that reflects light in all directions to the front. Therefore a crumpled surface on a reflector is an advantage, not the disadvantage as it may seem to people who have not used them before. I regard the unit as good value for its price when compared to brands like Lastolite. Dave Whiteley
Nikon D200

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users