• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 ANovice

ANovice

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Photography, woodworking, golf & travel.

Posted 31 March 2016 - 01:42 PM

Trying to decide on a new printer and would like some input/suggestions.  So far I've used a retain store to get prints made but now looking at getting a new printer for home.  There are a ton of choices and I don't want to spend a ton of $'s but would like one that will at least support 8" X 10" prints, color as well as B & W with pretty good quality.  I do summit photos to the photo clubs bimonthly competitions as well as those brave soles that sit for me on occasion.  Would not want anything that does not provide a very good quality, if that can be achieved at a reasonable price including ink & paper.  

Your thoughts/input as always are appreciated and valued.

Agge

#2 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23706 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 31 March 2016 - 02:17 PM

Hmm I only have a small dedicated photo printer but I know Jazz and a few others have more serious Epson type photo printers I am sure they will chime in.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#3 ANovice

ANovice

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 04:57 PM

Thanks Jim for your prompt response.

#4 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23706 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Posted 31 March 2016 - 05:10 PM

Just a little info I have the Epson Picture Mate PM225 it takes printer cartridges and paper that is packed together and I get very nice 4x6 prints but that is all it does. I will try to send Jazz a PM so he can tell you about his Epson I am not sure which one he has.

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#5 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15411 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 31 March 2016 - 05:20 PM

What is your budget?

I have been looking at printers, but I haven't purchased one yet. I have been looking at the epson P800, and there is a P600 version of it. Here is a review;

https://luminous-lan...or-p600-review/

It's about $800.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#6 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3407 posts
  • Interests:I have been blessed to have a wonderful family that permits my activities doing photojournalism.

Posted 01 April 2016 - 01:52 PM

Hey ANov,

I have an Epson 1800 and a 1900. They do just fine for me as I send much work to local printer via email. They do things cheaper.

The Epsons print 19X13 as largest print. Artisan is cheaper and does good. The 2000 costs more and does great. The difference is 200. and about 700.

Look them up on neutral sites to get customer feedback. Look at write ups on Dennis' suggestion.

Edited by fotofill, 01 April 2016 - 01:54 PM.

Sports and photojournalism
http://www.fotofill.net

#7 ANovice

ANovice

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 01:55 PM

Thanks again Jim.

Dennis; my budget is not that high but I think I understand where you are coming from (YGWYPF).  One of the club members also has a really nice Epson which makes very good prints (IMO) but it is more than I want to pay.  Guess my real question is can one get a cheaper printer in the 1 to 2 hundred $ range that makes really good 8 X 10's or maybe up to 11 X 14's?

I'm feed up with my HP.  It is doing stuff I can't figure out or fix (not printing a full page and making multiple copies when it should only be one copy)  :angry:

Agge

Thanks FotoFill.  Will check them out but may exceed my budget.

#8 Guest_chaswes5_*

Guest_chaswes5_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2016 - 04:13 PM

If budget constraints are an issue, check out the Canon Pro 100.  Does a good job for the $.

#9 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21449 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 02 April 2016 - 04:09 AM

I have a photographer friend who told me.... "Never buy a printer, they are obsolete the minute you buy them! Find a good place to take your work and stick with them!"

So, I never bought a printer AND ..... I seldom print as a result!! :(

Epson is the way to go....check out the replacement ink cartridges....the prices (generally speaking) will make your head spine. This is fully, something to consider with the purchase because the expense follows you forever!

Avoid HEWLIT PACKARD like the plague!!
Signature_Line_V4

#10 ANovice

ANovice

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 09:11 AM

Thanks all for your responses.  Yep, pretty discussed with HP and looking at Canon & Epson printers.  Guess I could get along without and utilize a print shop until the time comes that I need to print more often.  However I really do like the idea of making my own prints for the utility of it.  Also a great point about the ink and paper.  Just like in the old days of chemicals and paper when making prints from film/negatives.  I'll make a post once I can make a decision and see what the results are.  

#11 Ron W

Ron W

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7078 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 03:47 PM

What Charles said. I have an Epson Stylus Pro 3800 and have tried printing with marginal success. If I am doing a big print, I always send it to a commercial printer. Printing is a black art.

www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

#12 Old Dog New Tricks

Old Dog New Tricks

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8358 posts
  • Interests:Scenic & Nature Photography, Travel, Cooking, Kayaking, Grandson and Granddaughter.

Posted 02 April 2016 - 09:04 PM

I have the Epson WF 1430.  Does a nice job.  Would like a better one, but for what I am doing it works for now.

Posted Image

"Photography is man's attempt at immortality. To save our memories and share them. The places we have been, the people we have known, the things we have done. To share with others for eternity, or until the images fade away."

Shooting with
Film Nikon N60, N70(2), EM, Mamiya C-330, C-33, RB67
Digital Nikon D7100 D7000, Nikon D200(RIP), Fuji S3Pro(Retired)

#13 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19639 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 05 April 2016 - 05:29 PM

I have the Epson Photo R2000 and use it regularly. Finally using LR and PS CC to do some printing.

Bigger than 13x19..goes to print house.

Recommendation....Epson Printers.

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#14 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23706 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 06:45 PM

Seems Epson is the clear favorite around here.

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#15 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21449 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 05 April 2016 - 06:47 PM

Seems Epson is the clear favorite around here.

Jim

Agree, the local guys all like Epson, from what I have been hearing.

Signature_Line_V4

#16 Don Kondra

Don Kondra

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 07:45 PM

Have you considered last years model ?

My Canon iP6520 was ~$500 when it was released.

After the new model came out, I paid $140 for the old model and there was a $40 mail in rebate !

Prints up to 13" x 19".  

Cheers, Don 

#17 Guest_chaswes5_*

Guest_chaswes5_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2016 - 08:39 PM

Epson is a great brand. My Epson 3880 worked flawlessly for a little over two years--then didn't. Repair cost was estimated to be $700.00. I would have to send the printer to Epson (at my cost) with a full charge on all cartridges. Needless to say--I did not.

I bought a Canon Pro100 to tide me over. A full load of cartridges is $103.00. It prints great for a printer under $400.00. LOOK for Sales and Rebates.

#18 Arlon

Arlon

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2761 posts
  • Interests:Just about anything as long as it's outside.

Posted 06 April 2016 - 08:32 PM

I got my Pro-100 for $35 after rebates. That was almost 2 years ago so I doubt that rebate exists but the do run good rebates from time to time. All of the current printers are going to be pretty decent. I also refill my old cartridges for the Pro-100 so ink cost is almost nothing and results have been great. Printing can actually be fun. Some of the other printers also can do longer images as well. so you could do some panoramas if you need to. 

Edited by Arlon, 06 April 2016 - 08:33 PM.

D50, D90, D100 IR, D700, D800E and a bunch of old manual lenses..
D70 IR (stolen), D200 (stolen)

#19 ANovice

ANovice

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 02:35 PM

Been very busy of late and had not gotten back to this.  Thanks for the updates and additions.  Sounds like a lot of good comments about both the Epsons and Canons.  At some point I'll just bite the bullet and but a printer.  For now will start looking for deals/rebates.

Agge

#20 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23706 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 04:39 PM

Printers seem to go on sale fairly often so maybe you can get a good deal.

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#21 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19639 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 13 April 2016 - 12:13 PM

Now is a good time to get one. Lots of online and store ops.

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#22 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Competitive Target Shooting, Field Target - Rifle, PFT - Pistol Field Target, Indoor Silhouette, Cooking, Adult AirGuns, Computers, Martial Arts.

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:56 PM

I have a photographer friend who told me.... "Never buy a printer, they are obsolete the minute you buy them! Find a good place to take your work and stick with them!"

So, I never bought a printer AND ..... I seldom print as a result!! :(

Epson is the way to go....check out the replacement ink cartridges....the prices (generally speaking) will make your head spine. This is fully, something to consider with the purchase because the expense follows you forever!

Avoid HEWLIT PACKARD like the plague!!

But when u need quick print you cant beat having a printer around for occasional stuff you need. But I agree more serious stuff should be at a printhouse!

SOME OF WHAT'S In MY GEAR BAGS

(1) Nikon D4 body fitted with leather grip (2) D3s bodies fitted with leather grips
Mamiya 645 with Lenses| Bellows | glass filters
Cambo Legend 4"x5" kit (Lenses | bag bellows | loupe | Sheet film holders..etc.)
Sony HVR-Z7U HDV Camcorder & DCR-DVD D650 HandyCam (just in case)

Nikon Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 f2.8 AF-S G ED VR Nikon Nikkor AF-S G IF-ED VR 300 mm F/2.8G VR IF G ED| AF Fisheye Nikkor 10.5mm f2.8 G ED | Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm|Nikon calls this the AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED | Fotodiox Pro Nikon Large Format 4x5 Adapter Minolta Flash Meter IV and Flash Meter III with various diffusers and a 5 degree spot meter attachment | Bogen 3051 tripod with 3047 HD 3-way head | Manfrotto 679B Monopod | BEIKE BK-45 Gimbal Head Neewer 110CM 43" 5-in-1 Collapsible Multi-Disc Reflectors (2) | Opteka RH-42 Reflector Holders (2) | Paul C Buff 22" Silver Beauty Dish & Diffuser | Photoflex medium and large Multi-Domes | Fotodiox 12"x 80" Strip Boxes with Egg Crates (2) | Shoot & DSLR Kit Wireless Flash Triggers | Zeikos White Balance Card Trio (white, black and 18%) | Calumet 32" and 44" Umbrellas (2 sets) | 5 White Lighting (P.Buff) Ultras with grids | barn doors | light stands | background stand | various seamless papers | Bogen 3085 Boom arms (2) | OCF: Nikon SB800 | Electronic and Manual Cable Releases | Tamarac MXS536801 & MXS536901 Memory/battery management wallets | 8-10 SanDisk CF Cards | Background Projector Box with patterns | HP Laptop (carried to location in camera case) | Calumet Pro Series RC1188 Rolling Camera Case | Cleaning kit | Muslin clamps | Color Gels | USB Cables | Lots of other stuff to keep this list shorter

#23 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Competitive Target Shooting, Field Target - Rifle, PFT - Pistol Field Target, Indoor Silhouette, Cooking, Adult AirGuns, Computers, Martial Arts.

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:15 PM

Trying to decide on a new printer and would like some input/suggestions.  So far I've used a retain store to get prints made but now looking at getting a new printer for home.  There are a ton of choices and I don't want to spend a ton of $'s but would like one that will at least support 8" X 10" prints, color as well as B & W with pretty good quality.  I do summit photos to the photo clubs bimonthly competitions as well as those brave soles that sit for me on occasion.  Would not want anything that does not provide a very good quality, if that can be achieved at a reasonable price including ink & paper.  

Your thoughts/input as always are appreciated and valued.

Agge

Here is the issue though and I think a pretty big one. Printer manufacturers want us to believe that was can do massive amounts of prints from one set of cartridges installed. But the actual fact is the printer are setup to do 5% coverage as a daily task (As per an HP rep that was onsite one time at an office supply retail store). Five percent (5%) coverage id for the most part text only, and not photos or graphic filling the page. So hence the money grab game by printer manufacturers.

With that said I have an HP 7610 right now which is 13"X19" at its largest print size. But  the output looks like what is on my monitors so I'm not made at spending 150 dollars. It's a Hydra so it scans, faxes, prints,..etc. But it does a really decent print for being the price it is. Its not a $2000.00 printer but if I need that then my work goes to the people that have $20,000.00 and above printer instead, which is most of my workflow

SOME OF WHAT'S In MY GEAR BAGS

(1) Nikon D4 body fitted with leather grip (2) D3s bodies fitted with leather grips
Mamiya 645 with Lenses| Bellows | glass filters
Cambo Legend 4"x5" kit (Lenses | bag bellows | loupe | Sheet film holders..etc.)
Sony HVR-Z7U HDV Camcorder & DCR-DVD D650 HandyCam (just in case)

Nikon Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 f2.8 AF-S G ED VR Nikon Nikkor AF-S G IF-ED VR 300 mm F/2.8G VR IF G ED| AF Fisheye Nikkor 10.5mm f2.8 G ED | Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm|Nikon calls this the AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED | Fotodiox Pro Nikon Large Format 4x5 Adapter Minolta Flash Meter IV and Flash Meter III with various diffusers and a 5 degree spot meter attachment | Bogen 3051 tripod with 3047 HD 3-way head | Manfrotto 679B Monopod | BEIKE BK-45 Gimbal Head Neewer 110CM 43" 5-in-1 Collapsible Multi-Disc Reflectors (2) | Opteka RH-42 Reflector Holders (2) | Paul C Buff 22" Silver Beauty Dish & Diffuser | Photoflex medium and large Multi-Domes | Fotodiox 12"x 80" Strip Boxes with Egg Crates (2) | Shoot & DSLR Kit Wireless Flash Triggers | Zeikos White Balance Card Trio (white, black and 18%) | Calumet 32" and 44" Umbrellas (2 sets) | 5 White Lighting (P.Buff) Ultras with grids | barn doors | light stands | background stand | various seamless papers | Bogen 3085 Boom arms (2) | OCF: Nikon SB800 | Electronic and Manual Cable Releases | Tamarac MXS536801 & MXS536901 Memory/battery management wallets | 8-10 SanDisk CF Cards | Background Projector Box with patterns | HP Laptop (carried to location in camera case) | Calumet Pro Series RC1188 Rolling Camera Case | Cleaning kit | Muslin clamps | Color Gels | USB Cables | Lots of other stuff to keep this list shorter

#24 ANovice

ANovice

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 01:33 PM

All really good comments and suggestions.  Think at this stage, since it looks like I am now going to have to replace the computer, that I'll rely on retain providers for standard printing and go to one of the local camera stores for the larger and competition prints.

Thanks again for everyones input.  Happy shooting.  

Agge

#25 tlsmith1000

tlsmith1000

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1302 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 07:04 PM

Ok, I'm a little late to this party, but here's my 2 cents. I had an Epson X400 for about a year. I don't print a lot so it sat idle a lot. Epson's configuration was to have the print head permenantly installed and you justby ink. This keeps the cost down. But if you don't print often enough to keep things flowing, the ink dries in the print head and the head needs replaced. This is often more than replacing the printer.

I just bought a Canon MX 922 at Staples last month for $100. It prints reallynice 8x10 and it is a scanner,copier with (are you sitting down) ...DUPLEX. yes folks, two-sided printing for a hundred bucks.

If you don't print often, this is a great printer, and not just for photos. Plus, if it dies, it was only a hundred bucks ... withDUPLEX! And like others have said, when the print is important you're going to send it out anyway.
Terry

http://www.flickr.co..._bone_photos/

When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.
- attributed to Mark Twain

#26 BigRedDoberman

BigRedDoberman

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:Computers - Schutzhund training with my 100lb Doberman - Nature photography

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:19 PM

I recently installed a HP All in one for the local sheriff's department - nice printer for the money - will run you about 100 if it's on sale. Bluetooth setup was easy - automatically installed to the local wireless network and you can print from an app on your phone. I was never really a HP fan, but they have improved over the years.

• Art likes this

The difference between the right word and the wrong word is like the difference between the lightning and the lightning bug

- George Carlin

Nikon D80 (Retired)

Nikon D7000
Sigma 70-300mm

Nikon 55-70mm
Nikon 50mm

#27 desert_nikonian

desert_nikonian

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Macro Photography, Portraiture, Landscapes, Black & White Photography

Posted 10 May 2016 - 03:29 PM

I have a Canon PIXMA Pro9000 Mark ii and have been very happy with it.  I can do up to 13 x 19 and it produces wonderful black and white prints.  If I was in the market today for one however, I would go with an Epson.  I was looking at probably the Epson Stylus R3000, mainly because of the 13 x 19 and that it uses pigment based inks instead of the typical dye inks my Canon uses.  But since my Canon is going strong and has many years left, I won't be making that purchase any time soon.

Justin

Nikon D7100

Various lenses, ever changing selection

#28 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 04:21 PM

The top two brands for printers are Epson and Canon - in that order.  

The two big advantages of printing your own images are the immediate feedback and the ability to use specialty papers.  With print shops, papers are limited.  Turnaround time often takes a week or more, so if you need to make an adjustment, you need to send out again for another print.

You can get good quality prints by using a print house, but they vary quite a bit.  Most print houses use chromagenic prints - not inkjet.  That has an impact on print life expectancy.  Take a look at Episode 32 of the AskBC podcast.  http://www.breathing...om/blog/ask-bc/

Printer ink is very expensive in small cartridges, but is not that bad in larger amounts.  A set of inks for my Epson 4900 costs $900, but I can replace them one at a time over a couple of years or more, and they cover rolls and rolls of paper.  Printing on your own is more expensive than outsourcing, but has benefits. 

A printer needs to be used regularly - at least once a week.  If you don't use your printer, it tends to have more clogs and you don't get the benefit.  I make 8x10 proof prints to make sure my printer stays working and to test prints before I invest in a large size print.  

Outsourced printers normally color correct.  It's like putting your camera on Auto.  But that accounts for a lack of color calibration and overcomes typical errors.  They tend to increase contrast and saturation.  You can instruct your outsourced printer to not color correct and see if there is any difference.  If you don't calibrate your monitor, you'll need to start calibrating.

More than the cost of printing is the investment of time.  You need to learn to print - it's not just pressing a button.  It's just as challenging as making a photo.  You need to learn to manage color through your workflow, understand the print module of your software, and understand how settings on your computer and printer interact.  

Expect to invest 100 hours and $200-300 in your education.  You'll buy supplies and have more discarded prints than I want to think about.  There are books, podcasts, classes, etc.  I had to be comfortable buying a 25 sheet pack of paper and just using it up printing 8x10 proof prints.

If you get a printer, buy for the size you use most often.  Pick a printer with a print size that fits what you'll hang on a wall in your home or give to others.  If you need something larger, you can still outsource it.  But if you start small with a size you use, it will be gratifying.  

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users