• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22013 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:20 PM

Jim Beam Rye Whiskey

Pre-Prohibition Style

I think, this is a new formula for their very popular Kentucky Straight Rye Whiskey. The older bottle I used to buy came in a Yellow Label and was NOT available in Canada.  I picked up this bottle on Sunday, in Guelph, while out for a photowalk with Jason.

My favorite bottle of poison when mixing with Ginger.  Love it. Not to mention a nice Cuban cigar on the side.

Taken with:

Nikon D850

Nikkor 105 mm f2.8G VR

f5.6

1/80s

ISO 200

Hand Held

Nature Sunlight from the side

Used a CIRCULAR POLAFILTER to remove some of the glare off the glass on the left.  Worked like a charm!

No PP work other than sharpening and a slight adjustment to vertical straightening.  Pretty much straight out of the camera.

I did use the louvres on my shutters over the windows to adjust the natural sunlight.  Worked great.  I am very happy with the image. The bottle and glass are sitting on standard brown wrapping paper.  Nothing fancy.

Your comments of all types, greatly appreciated.

Attached File  Jim-Beam-RYE.jpg   565.72KB   0 downloads

AFTER TAKING YOUR COMMENTS, I HAVE REDONE THE IMAGE.

Version 2  ALL COMMENTS WELCOMED

Attached File  Jim-Beam-RYE-(v2).jpg   661.89KB   0 downloads

Signature_Line_V4

#2 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7989 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 20 March 2018 - 11:26 AM

Nice work, especially for natural light.

My only suggestion would have been to try a white fill card/foam, to bring up the detail on the far right side of the bottle.  Just a thought.  I still think this is a really nice shot.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#3 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 22013 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 20 March 2018 - 11:44 AM

Nice work, especially for natural light.

My only suggestion would have been to try a white fill card/foam, to bring up the detail on the far right side of the bottle.  Just a thought.  I still think this is a really nice shot.  :)

We are of a like mind.  I had the thought, then went against it because I wanted one light source with no bounced light.  However, I should have experimented.  Plenty new opportunities to try.  I have not cracked the bottle open yet as I am going through two other Yellow label bottles.  It will be a while before I get to this one! :lol:

The D850 is an amazing studio camera.  I was wowed by the D800 but this camera is simple light years ahead!

Signature_Line_V4

#4 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3570 posts
  • Interests:I have been doing this for over forty years. My wife approves and most times goes with me on assignments. I do photojournalism for a media group that has 11 newspapers around the Nashville, TN area.

Posted 20 March 2018 - 10:37 PM

My thought is always... I would like it more if the DOF included the class. It would be that way in a magazine. lol

(And the ice cubes would be clear!) What is liquid in glass? Bottle is pretty full to have that much poured into a glass and level that high in bottle. Ice is riding kind of high for liquid that contains 90 proof of alcohol. Is the seal broken on bottle? <G>

Sports and photojournalism
http://www.fotofill.net

#5 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 22013 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:28 AM

My thought is always... I would like it more if the DOF included the class. It would be that way in a magazine. lol
(And the ice cubes would be clear!) What is liquid in glass? Bottle is pretty full to have that much poured into a glass and level that high in bottle. Ice is riding kind of high for liquid that contains 90 proof of alcohol. Is the seal broken on bottle? <G>

The Pros on this site are too clever for words !!!

1) I purposely chose to keep glass OoF. Why? I figured the image was about the bottle. But now you have me thinking so I will look up some ads to see how they do it.
2) Bottle is unopened. Why? Have 2 partially finished other bottles to drain first and I am not a big drinker.
3) That is TEA in the glass. I made a mug and used up what was left of the tea bag for WHISKEY! Why? Waste not, want not....and, it was early afternoon, too early to pour hard liquor and to drink alone!
4) Real ice cubes....ads use fake ones and real ice floats high in WATER!

:lol:
Signature_Line_V4

#6 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15787 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 21 March 2018 - 08:12 AM

I think another light source from behind maybe a good idea as well. The light near the glass shows the nice red color of the Rye. One like that on the other side would be a nice touch.

A defused would be good over the natural light, as the tree branches show in the glass reflection. Just my two cents.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#7 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 22013 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:56 AM

I think another light source from behind maybe a good idea as well. The light near the glass shows the nice red color of the Rye. One like that on the other side would be a nice touch.
A defused would be good over the natural light, as the tree branches show in the glass reflection. Just my two cents.

Missed the tree branches!

You guys are good!
Signature_Line_V4

#8 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 22013 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 11:08 AM

Phil,

I went through a bunch of ads I searched on the net.  You are indeed correct, the glass is always in focus.

Have to reshoot this with all the tips that have been suggested.

Signature_Line_V4

#9 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 22013 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 01:51 PM

Updated image....see original post
Signature_Line_V4

#10 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7989 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 22 March 2018 - 11:06 AM

Updated image....see original post

You nailed it on this one, Art.  Did you still use natural light?  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#11 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4347 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, getting photos of people at their best.

Posted 22 March 2018 - 03:14 PM

Bang! Right down the middle!!! Nicely done.
Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#12 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 22013 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 09:48 PM

You nailed it on this one, Art.  Did you still use natural light?  :)

I most certainly did. But, had to change the setup a bit. Satisfying result.

Thanks, Don.
Signature_Line_V4

#13 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1425 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 24 March 2018 - 02:59 PM

Looks great as is, I prefer shadows as opposed to lighting up the whole subject. I think from a marketing perspective, it gives the viewer more of a mystery that would call to them to try it out! I don't even drink and it looks inviting  :)

• Art likes this

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#14 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15787 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 24 March 2018 - 03:12 PM

While I like the redo, I still would like to see some light from behind lighting up the whiskey.
  • Art likes this

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#15 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3570 posts
  • Interests:I have been doing this for over forty years. My wife approves and most times goes with me on assignments. I do photojournalism for a media group that has 11 newspapers around the Nashville, TN area.

Posted 29 March 2018 - 08:33 PM

Second take is much better

• Art likes this
Sports and photojournalism
http://www.fotofill.net

#16 Peter

Peter

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 01:38 PM

4) Real ice cubes....ads use fake ones and real ice floats high in WATER!

:lol:

Use distilled water to make clear ice cubes.Plus there is no weird taste in your drink from using tap or "filtered" water.

Also, difference in label colour from first shot to second shot is large - is the label green or is the label black? I would think, if you were presenting this to Beam Suntory, that they would want the colour in the photo to match the real colour so there is no consumer confusion at the liquor store.

Peter

Edited by Peter, 30 March 2018 - 01:46 PM.

#17 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 22013 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 05:10 PM

Have to try Distilled Water, thanks for the tip, Peter.

The second image is the closest to the real colour.  It is green.

Signature_Line_V4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users