• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#31 Dennis

Dennis

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15329 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 21 October 2017 - 01:48 PM

Of course, this is now, dont know what adobe will do later.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#32 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23636 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 21 October 2017 - 03:42 PM

I will not have anything to do with LRCC. I will live with the Classic but the more I play with Macphun the more I think after my year prepaid I will be moving on, mostly because I can not trust Adobe to keep the Classic. I am not going to pay to store in the cloud when I can store at home for free.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#33 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5342 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 04:30 PM

1. I don't care in the slightest about a stand alone product that is basically an outdated way of paying for things and I have no interest in outlaying a huge lump of cash in one go to then have to do so again when the update randomly comes out again....good riddance to it.

2. LR Classic is a fantastic update on the current CC package - it is massively faster, I have new features and it hasn't cost me any extra each month - win, win win. The monthly outlay is so ridiculously tiny that it is utterly irrelevant to the cost of being involved in photography as we enjoy it today. I get that some people have a camera they bought ten years ago and its 'all that they need' but those people are not Adobes user base so can easily go find some other ten year old solution and stick with it - not interested.

3. LRCC is a really fascinating product so I will stand up and applaud Adobe for thinking future use and not pandering to the Luddites. Photography is constantly evolving, constantly leaping platforms and constantly getting better so a piece of software that connects multiple devices, multiple platforms, multiple people in multiple places and is intrinsically connected via the cloud is absolutely where we should be heading. On any given day digital photographers shoot on any number of cameras and process their images on any number of devices - why shouldn't they all be bound together with one amazing bit of software.

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him.

#34 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23636 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Posted 21 October 2017 - 04:38 PM

1. I don't care in the slightest about a stand alone product that is basically an outdated way of paying for things and I have no interest in outlaying a huge lump of cash in one go to then have to do so again when the update randomly comes out again....good riddance to it.

2. LR Classic is a fantastic update on the current CC package - it is massively faster, I have new features and it hasn't cost me any extra each month - win, win win. The monthly outlay is so ridiculously tiny that it is utterly irrelevant to the cost of being involved in photography as we enjoy it today. I get that some people have a camera they bought ten years ago and its 'all that they need' but those people are not Adobes user base so can easily go find some other ten year old solution and stick with it - not interested.

3. LRCC is a really fascinating product so I will stand up and applaud Adobe for thinking future use and not pandering to the Luddites. Photography is constantly evolving, constantly leaping platforms and constantly getting better so a piece of software that connects multiple devices, multiple platforms, multiple people in multiple places and is intrinsically connected via the cloud is absolutely where we should be heading. On any given day digital photographers shoot on any number of cameras and process their images on any number of devices - why shouldn't they all be bound together with one amazing bit of software.

I wouldnt call myself a luddit but to me the cloud thing is a money grab. Especially since even I would require north of 2 TB so now were talking lots of money to store my photos. Sorry I find this a deceptive money grab.

Now will say this LR Classic is massively faster so they surely improved the product there. LR is easy to use not a huge fan of catalogs wish the edits were stored as a small JPEG inside the photo like NX2 did but Im living with it. I did prepay a year of LR so well see were it goes. Now I will admit this its no different price wise but I hate automatic drafts from my accounts the less I have on the web of my accounts the better I feel.

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#35 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23636 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 07:39 PM

BP the stand alone is only 20$ more than the total you pay in the year for the Photographer plan. So since LR6 has been current for 3 years you will pay more in the long run for the LR Photography plan by at least 200$ dollars. Not to be contrary but just because you think is outdated doesn't mean paying for something up front for a few years vs monthly is not out of date or old fashion.

As a matter of fact being able to pay for something up front and at least having it for several years is still a better deal than paying for something over time that never ends.

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#36 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15329 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 08:05 PM

We have a version of LR for everyone. I think the bigger issue I think is loss of trust. Adobe said the would keep the stand alone, and now its gone.

Doing this new venture, is more about profits than photographer needs. Who did Adobe ask about total cloud base being what they want? Why is it so hard to find information on Lightroom classic on adobe site, like it was when CC came out and LR6 was a stand alone?

This option is more about cloud storage and the profits it can bring, than Photography. Lets be a bit real, since LR went CC, there hasnt been big new tools. Neither for photoshop, just some gecky stuff, but again, nothing really earth sharing. Adobe said the subscription would bring out big and wonderful advances. Nothing like that has happened. In fact, this new way isnt really new. Google drive and there new editor been doing this for a bit.

Im not sure if what adobe thinks will happen, will happen. Time will tell. There are more android users than Apple users. When similar phone apps are free, and LRCC app is subscription, I dont think there is a base of mobile photographers out there.

I guess we will find out.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#37 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23636 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 09:15 PM

We have a version of LR for everyone. I think the bigger issue I think is loss of trust. Adobe said the would keep the stand alone, and now its gone.

Doing this new venture, is more about profits than photographer needs. Who did Adobe ask about total cloud base being what they want? Why is it so hard to find information on Lightroom classic on adobe site, like it was when CC came out and LR6 was a stand alone?

This option is more about cloud storage and the profits it can bring, than Photography. Lets be a bit real, since LR went CC, there hasnt been big new tools. Neither for photoshop, just some gecky stuff, but again, nothing really earth sharing. Adobe said the subscription would bring out big and wonderful advances. Nothing like that has happened. In fact, this new way isnt really new. Google drive and there new editor been doing this for a bit.

Im not sure if what adobe thinks will happen, will happen. Time will tell. There are more android users than Apple users. When similar phone apps are free, and LRCC app is subscription, I dont think there is a base of mobile photographers out there.

I guess we will find out.

Agree 100% Dennis. I just paid $119 for a one year subscription the stand alone was only $139 the only reason I did not buy it is I was waiting to see if a LR7 came out but Adobe killed that. So I have a year to make a decide on which direction I want to go. LR Classic is a good program and I might stay at $120 a year but no more then it starts to impact other things I want to spend my money on. 

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#38 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23636 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 09:18 PM

Yup Adobe has really cleared out the site not much on Lightroom Classic at all, you have to click all products to even read about it. 

I have a feeling it will go the way of the Dodo Bird in the future.

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#39 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7289 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 22 October 2017 - 12:26 AM

Here's a good overview.  Just ignore his hairdo.

I upgraded PS and what is now called LR Classic CC.  I'll pass on the new LRCC.

Final thought.  I have no trouble with subscriptions or cloud-based storage.  I just like Dropbox way better than the limited storage that Adobe offers.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#40 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23636 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 01:29 AM

Actually I find him humorous in an odd kind of way. In the end I am not a cloud person like my stuff locally I even back up locally for the most part except what I do with apple.  Well I did pay for a year up front and LR Classic is super fast now so I will see how I feel at the end of 12 months but I am not going to put all my eggs in one basket that is why I bought Macphun so I can be proficient in more than one program and if I have to change I will.

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#41 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5342 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 03:59 AM

The cloud based Lightroom is not an evil money grabbing monster that Adobe are forcing people to use - it is quite literally the future of photography for many creative businesses and individuals.

I have been using the cloud based lightroom since the app was released for the iPhone and it works perfectly, in facts its amazing. I shoot with my iPhone, edit the shots if I need them straight away then forget about them until I'm home. When I start up the app on my iMac the shots are already in my Lightroom library, any edits I have made on the phone are in place - they are even live in the history so can be adjusted - and I can work on them as I would any other raw files. There is no need to import files by plugging a card in a slot, I don't have to muck about with Wi-Fi transfers, I don't need to create extra copies for different platforms the entire thing is completely seamless. Even better when I have edited the shots on the Mac the corresponding files on my iPhone update.....still keeping the ability to edit the edits. Expand this out over a number of mobile devices, cameras, computers, even photographers working for a single company and you can see how a cloud linked editing solution is absolutely the way forward.

Yes there will still be those who shoot with a stand alone camera and want to create a single library based in one location - well they have Classic and will have for years to come as that is still a large user base but the cloud is the way forward for many people and more to the point it is extremely good at what it does.

#42 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15329 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 12:03 PM

I was doing the same things as you Robin, before the update. The Lightroom app updated the shared catalog that resided in my PC. I showed potential customers sample of my work on ny phone. I showed clients their shots on the iPad. Any changes they asked for, I did on the iPad.

Now, it seems a one way road. When I upgraded to classic, I cant send the new iPhone pics to LR classic. Al least its doesnt seem to work now. Still testing it. It seems that I can share out from the desktop and do updates to that on mobile.

Im still playing with it, so when I know for sure, Ill report back.

So, Robin, what is your workflow using the Fuji?

Thanks, Dennis.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#43 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5342 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 12:53 PM

I was doing the same things as you Robin, before the update. The Lightroom app updated the shared catalog that resided in my PC. I showed potential customers sample of my work on ny phone. I showed clients their shots on the iPad. Any changes they asked for, I did on the iPad.

Now, it seems a one way road. When I upgraded to classic, I cant send the new iPhone pics to LR classic. Al least its doesnt seem to work now. Still testing it. It seems that I can share out from the desktop and do updates to that on mobile.

Im still playing with it, so when I know for sure, Ill report back.

So, Robin, what is your workflow using the Fuji?

My iPhone is syncing perfectly with Lightroom Classic - have you updated the mobile app as it must be the current one to work. I also note that I have 1TB of storage available?

With the Fuji I'm still stuck with the old ways of plugging the card into the back of the iMac....oh for it to have proper connectivity like our mobile devices  :(

#44 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23636 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 02:18 PM

BP you cant transfer photos from your XT1 to the computer. I havent tried yet but my XE2 manual says I can transfer to my PC via WiFi.

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#45 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15329 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 02:35 PM

Yes! I was able to get classic to see the mobile! It was in a differant folder, no big deal.

Robin, you might want to verify with adobe. Mine says I have 20gig, and my plan is $10 a month. The photography plan with with 1TB is $19.00, since I'm a CC user, it would be $15 for the first year.

I'm not going to load the app version on my desktop. If the desktop version is exactly like the mobile app, it has less features. And, I don't really want to have a cloud based service. My biz is not that big and the classic hasn't change my workflow one bit.

Thanks, Dennis.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#46 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5342 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 01:29 PM

Its a bit confusing to be honest.

If I look in the LR Mobile app on my Phone it shows I have 1TB of storage.

If I sign into my Adobe account online it says I can have Lightroom CC as part of my plan but the plan is still the £10.10 per month one I've always had not the new one with its extra costs - it also mentions 20GB of storage. 

I'm tempted to install the CC app on my iMac and see what happens.

#47 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5342 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 02:06 PM

Well I hit the install button and now have the latest CC app alongside my original Classic. There is nothing to say my plan has changed and I'm showing 1TB of storage.

Attached File  LRCC.jpg   73.22KB   0 downloads

Just edited a file in the desktop CC app and its has synced across all the other version - the mobile app on the iPhone updated as soon as I started it and the collection within CC synced when I clicked on it showing the new edit.

COOL!!!!

Edited by Black Pearl, 23 October 2017 - 02:11 PM.

#48 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7289 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 04:03 PM

Well, someone at Luminar/MacPhun is taking advantage of the confusion.  ;)

https://macphun.com/optimizelr

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#49 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5342 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 04:29 PM

I've just ran some tests.

I created a new album in LRCC on my iMac, added a random raw file from my external drive and moments later it appeared on my iPhone. I did some quick edits - to the still raw data - and they immediately synced back to the Mac.

Imagine you shoot an event on your Nikon, load the files into your main Lightroom library as normal, run some edits, create a new album and sync it to your Adobe cloud. It will then be in your LRCC app AND appear on your iPhone/iPad (Spencer your iPad Pro would be amazing for this mate) where you could show them to your clients, add some more adjustments while you are with them which would be synced back. You could then tweak them fully when you are home them re-integrate them to your main library for long term storage, printing final export.

This means you don't need massive storage in your cloud account just enough to work with your current a set of images and jobs - I would imagine even the basic 20GB would be enough for this?

#50 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23636 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 04:33 PM

Well, someone at Luminar/MacPhun is taking advantage of the confusion.  ;)

https://macphun.com/optimizelr

Having used Macphun for a week now it is powerful and easy to use. Is it LR no not yet but they are headed in the right direction. 

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#51 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23636 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 04:36 PM

I've just ran some tests.

I created a new album in LRCC on my iMac, added a random raw file from my external drive and moments later it appeared on my iPhone. I did some quick edits - to the still raw data - and they immediately synced back to the Mac.

Imagine you shoot an event on your Nikon, load the files into your main Lightroom library as normal, run some edits, create a new album and sync it to your Adobe cloud. It will then be in your LRCC app AND appear on your iPhone/iPad (Spencer your iPad Pro would be amazing for this mate) where you could show them to your clients, add some more adjustments while you are with them which would be synced back. You could then tweak them fully when you are home them re-integrate them to your main library for long term storage, printing final export.

This means you don't need massive storage in your cloud account just enough to work with your current a set of images and jobs - I would imagine even the basic 20GB would be enough for this?

Can you delete them from the cloud after you have moved them to your HD. I have not done a wedding this year but when I did shoot weddings they were larger than 20GB. I would think most event photographers might be pushing it too but that seems like a cool way to do things.

If they keep the classic I can see this working for some but if they eventually dump the classic and go all cloud based they will have mass defections.

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#52 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15329 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 06:51 PM

I do this all the time. You were able to do what Robin said, before the 2017 update. And, I still do that. I havent done event for a while, but I have the old ones, so I can see how much space it actually takes.

But, I like the capability. Showing the client the images, and make some changes, like convert to black and white, is awesome. And they think they are part of the process.

And, I figured that the $10/month was about the same as film. In fact, Im get film for the RB67, and use Lightroom to process them.

Thanks, Dennis.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#53 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7289 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 10:47 AM

Well, here's an interesting update.  The Apple store updated my LR Mobile with the new LR CC.  As long as I don't pay extra, I guess that it's OK.  I really don't like doing editing on an iPad, which is why I never used LR Mobile very much.  I don't think I'll be changing now.  <_<

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#54 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5342 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 04:04 PM

Well, here's an interesting update.  The Apple store updated my LR Mobile with the new LR CC.  As long as I don't pay extra, I guess that it's OK.  I really don't like doing editing on an iPad, which is why I never used LR Mobile very much.  I don't think I'll be changing now.  <_<

1. If you don't want your Apple devices to automatically update go to - Settings - iTunes and App Store - then scroll to the bottom and turn it off.

2. Try using the camera built into the app - it is superb.

#55 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19639 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 24 October 2017 - 10:41 PM

More info to come...I am quiet at the moment.

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users