Photo

Which is the ideal resolution for a DSLR?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 Dave Whiteley

Dave Whiteley

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6183 posts
  • Interests:Plant, close-up and macrophotography.

Posted 03 March 2009 - 03:12 PM

Also found this one on sensor size:-

http://www.cambridge...sensor-size.htm

Dave Whiteley
Nikon D200
AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70 mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED
60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor
70mm-180mm AF ED f4.5-f5.6 D Micro-Nikkor
Tamron SP AF200-500MM F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF)
Nikon PB6 belows, Nikon Tubes.
2X Nikon SB600 flash guns
Manfrotto dual flash bracket

#32 Guest_southwestsam_*

Guest_southwestsam_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2013 - 02:28 AM

You could ask the same question of download speeds, TV resolutions, processing power, memory capacity etc. 20 years ago, a 512kb/s connection and 256MB ram with an 800kHz processor would have been state of the art completing all its required functions in super quick time. Now you'd only find something like that in the scrap! Technology advances constantly to keep up with or drive the demands of the current society. So, what I'm saying is the MP war will only conclude when an alternative to pixels is found.

#33 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, travelogues, aircraft photography.

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:25 AM

Not so sure I agree. When you get to a point where IQ doesn't improve for any practically sized print, then people will stop buying. Don
Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#34 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2347 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy photography(of course)and I'm a gadget freak, especially if it can be used in photography.

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:43 PM

I'd say the 24MP on my D7100 is enough. That's plenty for cropping if necessary. Any more pixels than that would be useless unless you're using the best of lenses that have that much resolving power. Bigger files will take forever to upload to Adorama for printing. Sometimes I shoot at 13MP setting on D7100 if I know I'm not going to crop-it's good enough.

Bill

Still shooting DX digital and don't plan on going full frame.

D7100, red D5300, IR converted D300,  D40, D70s, Olympus C-5060 P&S from 2003, and a few 35mm film bodies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users