NAS: Which lens should I go after NEXT?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Poll: (9 member(s) have cast votes)

Which lens should I add to my kit NEXT?

1. Nikon AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G IF-ED (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Voted Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 ATX PRO DX (5 votes [55.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 55.56%

3. Nikon AF-S 14-24mm f/2.8 G ED (4 votes [44.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.44%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Guest_photogbuff_1970_*

Guest_photogbuff_1970_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:48 PM

By the end of December 2010, I hope to add a wide-angle f/2.8 to my lens kit. Just wondering if I should go superwide or just normal range. Give me your pros and cons. :D Eventually I hope to have all of them, but for now, I just want to figure out which one to go after first.

Edited by photogbuff_1970, 05 July 2010 - 01:49 PM.

#2 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:12 PM

The Tokina would give you more options. Mark

Edited by Sailjunkie, 05 July 2010 - 02:13 PM.

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#3 Neil Rothschild

Neil Rothschild

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2012 posts
  • Interests:Wildlife and action, nature, macro, general photography. I try to mix it up.

Posted 05 July 2010 - 04:01 PM

The ultra-wides would give you focal lengths you don't have now. The 24-70/2.8 is a great lens, I have one and would not want to part with it. If I'm not shooting very long, it's on my camera and I just love to shoot it. It just makes taking technically good images easy, for some reason. But that does not make it right for you, and it would just be an upgrade of existing lenses. If you are going to stay DX for awhile, which is very sensible, I would think you would favor the wider of the ultra-wides, not the 14-24, even if you have to give up f/2.8. I don't know anything about the Tokina but you have good choices with other 10-something ultra-wides like the Nikon 10-24, plus at least one other. The 14-24 is probably the best ultra-wide in it's range, and it's f/2.8. It is a very big and heavy lens, though, that does not take filters without considerable expense and bulk using square filters and big and heavy filter rings that surround the lens. If you don't already own a lens in that range that suggests it is not a most favored focal length range, it's probably a "specialty range". That's a lot of lens to lug around for an occasional shot- it may get left in the closet a lot. If I got your relative priorities right, you may be happier with a smaller, lighter lens that easily takes filters such as ND grads. If you have not shot in the ultra-wide range it may make sense to buy a 10-something lens to learn about it and see if someday you might feel it worthwhile to upgrade. I have had the Nikon 12-24 DX for 5 years or so. It's a nice lens. If I were doing it over on DX I would probably get the 10-24 for the extra range, even if it's not technically quite as good a lens. I don't use it a lot, I now shoot DX and FX and have a craving for the 14-24 too, and I can use the full 14mm on FX. Despite that, I have the problem I mentioned where it's a lot of lens to drag around for something that is not my primary interest.

#4 Guest_photogbuff_1970_*

Guest_photogbuff_1970_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2010 - 03:04 PM

Thanks Neil for your forthright opinion. :) I appreciate it. You know me, I tend to vascillate a lot when it comes to acquisitions. Right now, I'm wondering between spending $599.99 and buying a TC-20EIII to tack on my 70-200mm f/2.8 and seeing if I can work with a teleconverter enhanced 400mm f/5.6 for wildlife/aviation photography for the time being until I can save up enough money for the long primes. At this point, it seems like I'm heading into shark infested waters if I try to add myself to a mix of an already saturated portrait and wedding photography market. My first interest in photography is winning out over my common sense, it seems. My love, like yours, is wildlife and aviation photography. I could sit for hours at Serpentine Fen watching the ducks, geese and other fauna. Or go down to the Abbotsford International Airshow and watch the metal birds perform. My instincts are all going "GO LONG...GO LONG..." but my "accountant" personality is going "Spend $10,000+ on a single lens? Are you friggin' insane?"

Edited by photogbuff_1970, 13 July 2010 - 03:07 PM.

#5 Neil Rothschild

Neil Rothschild

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2012 posts
  • Interests:Wildlife and action, nature, macro, general photography. I try to mix it up.

Posted 13 July 2010 - 03:15 PM

I've seen some very impressive images from the 70-200 VR2 and TC20E-III. I don't know how well they crop down, which is important for wildlife at 400mm, which isn't quite enough. I do enough cropping at 700 and 850 :lol:. I'm seriously considering that 2x. The TC17 and TC14 are also good. The TC20E-III would be very easy to sell (if you don;t like it) if you can find one now because they are scarce. That's the cheapest way to go longer for you. If you like wildlife, either buy a 300/4 AFS and TC's or the Sigma 150-500 OS that Mark bought. I think those are the best values in the under $6K market. With the 300/4 you really need a good tripod to make it shine, and that's another thousand to do that right, once, with legs head and maybe gimbal. You are looking from 12mm to 60 :lol:

#6 mark2711

mark2711

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Motor Bikes, My Porsche Boxster, International Sports, Sport Cars, Flowers

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:37 AM

Hi, I use a Tokina 11 -16mm, and very happy with images this lens produces. Used mainly for landscape and architecture

Lens has a great feel about it, and smooth. I tend to manual focus and find the focus ring nice and large, easy to use.

Happy with the brand, and now considering a Tokina 100 macro lens, however second hand are scarce

NB: Using D300, and a crop factor 1.5, lens focal range is 16 - 24.
This fits my kit well considering I have a Nikkor 20mm = 30mm crop factor , & Tamron 28 - 70mm = 42 - 105mm crop factor

My vote is Tokina

Cheers Mark

Mark Rhind

D300

Tokina 11-16mm f2.8
Nikon 20mm f2.8
Nikon 50mm f2.8

Tamron 28-75mm f2.8
Carl Zeiss 85mm f1.4 (manual)
Sigma 70-200mm f2.8

Photography is life

#7 Herman

Herman

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9912 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, flight simulation, nature, photography and travel

Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:38 PM

Hi Photobuff_1970, I note that both your cameras are DX format so I recommend the Tokina unless of course you are intending to move into FX territory any time soon. The Tokina offers great value for money! Good luck with your choice! Cheers -Herman

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users