Photo

My Custom $20 4-Battery Charger for Nikon batteries.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 480sparky

480sparky

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1384 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:45 PM

During my recent 3-week vacation, I had one minor problem at the end of each day when I checked into the motel.  And that was half the time, I didn't have the ability to charge up the 6 batteries I had been using (3 gripped bodies).  The problem wasn't enough chargers.... the problem was usually lack of electrical outlets.  Today, most lodging facilities are woefully inadequate in terms of spare outlets, most being taken up by the TV & cable box, a fridge, micro, clock, etc.

Another problem was, even if I did have enough outlets, some were so old they wouldn't support the weight of the charger and battery.  Yea, I know... I can plug them in with the supplied cord, but even then, sometimes it was only one battery at a time as I only had one outlet available.

So I started scheming on a solution.  Of course, my first thought was to see if there were any commercially-available multiple-battery chargers made.  Yep... ebay and Amazon both have 'em.  But they would only charge a paltry two batteries............ for a hundred bucks!  Nope, not an option for me.

I engineered several different designs in my head using the 4 chargers I do have, with the goal of being able to use all 4 at once, utilizing only a single power outlet, and still be small and lightweight.  At first, I thought about bolting or epoxying 4 chargers together with internal wiring run between them.  But in the end, the answer was a result of Nikon's 'Soviet-style' charger design.  You know, the one where you can either plug the charger directly in, or swap the adapter for a cord.  I felt my solution was easy, simple and elegant.  Not to mention......... cheap.

Now, I know some of you are going to say, "Gee, you dolt... just buy one of those 6-outlet strips that are sold at Best Buy, K-Mart, Radio Shack, Wal-Mart, and even the freakin' gas station!".  Well, I said I wanted it small and light.  And those clunkers any anything but.  Remember.... this is for travelling!  Small and light rules.

What I did was go to the local camera store in search of 4 additional power cords.  Thinking they'd stock just the Nikon OEM cords for $40 per, I didn't hold my breath.  Surprisingly, they stocked a ProMaster version, and they were a whopping $3.99 (plus the gubbamint's cut) out the door.  NOW we're talking!

Being an electrician by trade, this was a stupendously easy project.  Just cut the cords to length, strip the ends, slide on some heat-shrink tubing, and splice them together.  Slide up the heat shrink into place(two layers.... two smaller pieces to cover and insulate the two wires and a larger one to wrap up the whole mess).

The end result:  I call it my Medusa Cord.

MedusaCord.jpg

Total cost: $17.02 for the cords, and $3 would be a stretch for the cost of the heat-shrink.  50¢ would probably be much closer.

I can now plug in all four of my chargers into one solitary outlet..... Leaving other outlets available for my laptop, cell phone & Phantom chargers, etc.  And not have to get up 4 times during the night to change batteries in a charger.  So when I check out the next morning, I have six fully charged, rarin'-to-go batteries!

Don't mind me..... I'm just out roaming around between Zone II and Zone IX.
Imagination Images of Iowa

#2 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23468 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:55 PM

Very cool Sparky, well done! I just bring a power strip usually if I am going to be charging several at one time.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#3 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15109 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:17 PM

Yeah, I just bring a power strip and unplug the clock, since I don't need it, if I need to. But, hey, that cool.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#4 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6952 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:50 PM

Very ingenious Sparky.... I, like Jim and Dennis, just carry a multi-box (power strip) 6way...I even have a 'modified' multi-box fitted with a european plug for travelling overseas (lots of countries use the european plug) :) ...I usually only travel with one camera (overseas anyway) but cell phones ,wifes camera,tablets you name it  :rolleyes:  all need power outlets and there is never enough.... didn't need to charge the old F3... :huh:

Peter

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#5 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23468 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:56 PM

Sparky I did read light and small but I just wedge my strip in my suitcase.

Still a very cool idea.

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#6 480sparky

480sparky

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1384 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:10 PM

I don't travel with luggage.

Don't mind me..... I'm just out roaming around between Zone II and Zone IX.
Imagination Images of Iowa

#7 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23468 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:17 PM

I do I use a medium back pack, I get most of my stuff in and my strip fits righ in. I always need clean cloths! :D

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#8 Gary Worrall

Gary Worrall

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6688 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:34 AM

Your Avatar says it all!  :lol:

I'll leave that stuff to you guys

- I have a photographic memory but never got it developed -

#9 Jes

Jes

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Amateur Radio, 4X4's, Walking, Running, Computers, Camping. Kayaking,

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:57 PM

I thought I saw the lights dim a bit the other night  ;)

Jes

D90, NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, NIKKOR 18-55 f/3.5-5.6G VR, Tamron AF 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2, KENKO DG Auto Extension Tubes, 12mm 20mm 36mm, SB-910, Photomatix Pro 5.0.4 64 bit, Photoshop CS. Photoshop Elements 11.
Coolpix 5700, FM
mu0chn IOTA EU-114 G-QRP 10080

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users