15 replies to this topic

#1 Marcel Bauer

Marcel Bauer

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:54 AM

Getting new Nikon DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR (picked up from KEH for $99 LN condition), pretty excited, been missing the range for a long time now (shooting 50mm 1.8 and 55-200mm f4). This will be a very welcome pice of glass for my D200. It arrives today, just in time for the Scott Kelby Worldwide Photowalk I am going on in Seattle this weekend, hopefully I get a chance to test it out before the outting. Anyone have any suggestions or comments about this lens?
Smile and I'll Shoot Nikon D7100 Lightroom 5+ and Photoshop

#2 Herman

Herman

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9914 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, flight simulation, nature, photography and travel

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:57 AM

Congrats with the purchase. Marcel. Enjoy! :)

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#3 chaswes5

chaswes5

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8418 posts
  • Interests:Macs, photoshop, portraits and photographing ordinary life. I enjoy taking candid shots then developing them into something more than a snap shot.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:05 AM

OK, Marcel ! Congrats and we look forward to seeing your work. Seattle is a beautiful place.
Charles Wesley

Nikon D800 and D700 and some lenses. Sony NEX 7 with 18-55 Kit Lens.

“When you photograph people in color, you photograph their clothes. But when you photograph people in Black and white, you photograph their souls!” ― Ted Grant I try never to fool myself that just pointing a camera at something makes it art. Or that snapping the shutter makes me an artist."

Don Giannatti

Gallery:http://wesleyphotography.zenfolio.com/

#4 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5313 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:15 AM

Have fun with the lens.......but Make sure you stop it down a bit as it isn't sharp at the edges wide open. Watch out for distortions on architectural shots at the wider end as its very bendy. The lens produces quite harsh chromatic aberrations so if you shoot RAW you will need to deal with these carefully in PP as the camera only removes them when shooting jpegs.
God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him.

#5 photojazz

photojazz

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19464 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:30 AM

Congrats on the lens and have fun on the PW. I am planning to photo and walk as well but at this moment, I am on phase 2 of a cold that has me in bed.
Looking forward to the Seattle pics.
Halfway well PJ

Posted Image

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

Member of the following organizations:

American Society of Media Professionals

Fairmount Photo Club

NYI PhotoWorld Magazine

Photographic Society of Philadelphia

Philadelphia Photo League (PPL)

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!
New website coming soon!

#6 Mr Gladstone

Mr Gladstone

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  • Interests:Picture Framing. Digital Photography. Music. Walking.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:08 PM

Have fun with the lens.......but
Make sure you stop it down a bit as it isn't sharp at the edges wide open.
Watch out for distortions on architectural shots at the wider end as its very bendy.
The lens produces quite harsh chromatic aberrations so if you shoot RAW you will need to deal with these carefully in PP as the camera only removes them when shooting jpegs.

I didnt know that CA's were only removed from jpeg's. Makes sense really. Thanks for the tip!
Tom.
Nikon D7000.
Nikkor 35mm f1.8 G.
Nikkor 80 - 200 f4 AI-S
Nikkor 85mm f3.5 Micro VR
Sigma 10-20 f4

My Website

#7 Marcel Bauer

Marcel Bauer

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:10 PM

Have fun with the lens.......but
Make sure you stop it down a bit as it isn't sharp at the edges wide open.
Watch out for distortions on architectural shots at the wider end as its very bendy.
The lens produces quite harsh chromatic aberrations so if you shoot RAW you will need to deal with these carefully in PP as the camera only removes them when shooting jpegs.

Good to know, thanks for the pointers, hopefully I will get a chance to test it out a bit before the walk, I was planning on shooting RAW, we shall see what I decide when I get there. :)

#8 Marcel Bauer

Marcel Bauer

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:12 PM

Congrats on the lens and have fun on the PW. I am planning to photo and walk as well but at this moment, I am on phase 2 of a cold that has me in bed.
Looking forward to the Seattle pics.
Halfway well PJ

Posted Image

Thank you...Im sorry to hear that you are sick, hopefully you have a speedy recovery and can get out there.

#9 Marcel Bauer

Marcel Bauer

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:14 PM

OK, Marcel ! Congrats and we look forward to seeing your work. Seattle is a beautiful place.

Thanks Charles. Yes Seattle is beautiful we are just hitting the cold rainy season again, hopefully the weather is decent this weekend. Can't wait to post up some pictures.

#10 Marcel Bauer

Marcel Bauer

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:15 PM

Congrats with the purchase. Marcel.

Enjoy!

:)

Thank you Herman, I am pretty excited, can't wait to get out there and do some shooting.

#11 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19732 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:18 PM

Congrats, Marcel! I took a look to see if I could get into the local photo walk, it is full and they request "extras " don't show up! <_< post up some of the pictures you take on yours, should be fun to see. Enjoy!

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#12 Arlon

Arlon

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2750 posts
  • Interests:Just about anything as long as it's outside.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:48 PM

That and the 28-80g (essentially the 18-55 for the FX crowd) lens are the two best "bang for the buck" lenses Nikon ever made.. The 18-55mm is also my all time favorite lens for IR..
D50, D90, D100 IR, D700, D800E and a bunch of old manual lenses..
D70 IR (stolen), D200 (stolen)

#13 Marcel Bauer

Marcel Bauer

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:54 AM

Congrats, Marcel! I took a look to see if I could get into the local photo walk, it is full and they request "extras " don't show up! <_< post up some of the pictures you take on yours, should be fun to see. Enjoy!

Too bad it's all booked, maybe next year you can get out there. I will for sure post some pics after the walk.

#14 Marcel Bauer

Marcel Bauer

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:57 AM

That and the 28-80g (essentially the 18-55 for the FX crowd) lens are the two best "bang for the buck" lenses Nikon ever made.. The 18-55mm is also my all time favorite lens for IR..

Very cool to hear, I was really looking at the 28-80 also. I was smart about it and borrowed an 18-55mm ED VRII from a friend, slapped in on the D200 and let the wife take a few pics, after that it was no problem convincing her we needed a lens in that range, then when I said I could get it for $99 bux from KEH...I got the go ahead :lol: Someimtes you just gotta be sneaky and play your cards right...hahaha So far I love the lens it's super sharp. Can't wait to get out and really give it a go.

#15 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Competitive Target Shooting, Field Target - Rifle, PFT - Pistol Field Target, Indoor Silhouette, Cooking, Adult AirGuns, Computers, Martial Arts.

Posted 24 January 2017 - 11:39 PM

Getting new Nikon DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR (picked up from KEH for $99 LN condition), pretty excited, been missing the range for a long time now (shooting 50mm 1.8 and 55-200mm f4). This will be a very welcome pice of glass for my D200. It arrives today, just in time for the Scott Kelby Worldwide Photowalk I am going on in Seattle this weekend, hopefully I get a chance to test it out before the outting. Anyone have any suggestions or comments about this lens?

Congrats!

SOME OF WHAT'S In MY GEAR BAGS

Nikon D3 bodies X 2 (two) and One (1) D3s fitted with leather grips
Mamiya 645 with Lenses| Bellows | glass filters
Minolta 9000s with motor drives (part of my old film-based gear)
Cambo Legend 4"x5" kit (Lenses | bag bellows | loupe | Sheet film holders..etc.)
Sony HVR-Z7U HDV Camcorder & DCR-DVD D650 HandyCam (just in case)

Nikon Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 f2.8 AF-S G ED VR Nikon Nikkor AF-S G IF-ED VR 300 mm F/2.8G VR IF G ED| AF Fisheye Nikkor 10.5mm f2.8 G ED | Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm|Nikon calls this the AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED | Fotodiox Pro Nikon Large Format 4x5 Adapter Minolta Flash Meter IV and Flash Meter III with various diffusers and a 5 degree spot meter attachment | Bogen 3051 tripod with 3047 HD 3-way head | Manfrotto 679B Monopod | BEIKE BK-45 Gimbal Head Neewer 110CM 43" 5-in-1 Collapsible Multi-Disc Reflectors (2) | Opteka RH-42 Reflector Holders (2) | Paul C Buff 22" Silver Beauty Dish & Diffuser | Photoflex medium and large Multi-Domes | Fotodiox 12"x 80" Strip Boxes with Egg Crates (2) | Shoot & DSLR Kit Wireless Flash Triggers | Zeikos White Balance Card Trio (white, black and 18%) | Calumet 32" and 44" Umbrellas (2 sets) | 5 White Lighting (P.Buff) Ultras with grids | barn doors | light stands | background stand | various seamless papers | Bogen 3085 Boom arms (2) | OCF: Nikon SB800 | Electronic and Manual Cable Releases | Tamarac MXS536801 & MXS536901 Memory/battery management wallets | 8-10 SanDisk CF Cards | Background Projector Box with patterns | HP Laptop (carried to location in camera case) | Calumet Pro Series RC1188 Rolling Camera Case | Cleaning kit | Muslin clamps | Color Gels | USB Cables | Lots of other stuff to keep this list shorter

#16 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5313 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 02:19 PM

Congrats!

A little late to the party aren't we  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users