As you might have guessed, I'm still playing with off-camera flash and still life.
This particular stein first appeared in orbit last July, along with a slightly smaller cousin. I've been intrigued by Art's recent experiments; and I've also been adding equipment since last July. So I decided to see what I could come up with.
I shot this in an Optex Light box, but used 2 speed lights instead of the mercury-filled CFL bulbs that came with the box. Here's the full list of gear:
- Nikon D810
- Sigma 105/f 2.8
- 3 Cactus manual light triggers.
- SB 700 speed light - placed in front, at 45 degree angle. Power settings varied
- SB 600 speed light - placed in front, at 45 degree angle. Power settings varied
- Godox video light, directly overhead on light stand arm. Power settings varied.
- All of the lights had the Light Box diffuser in front of them.
- Tethered directly to Lightroom on the iMac.
The results were interesting. I completely blew out the image when I tried to duplicate the pure white that Art has been getting. There is merit to his new light set-up, but not right now.
I might do this differently if this was a product shot, but I actually like the contrast that the shadows produce. PP was limited to sharpening and correcting a slightly warm colour cast.
Because I'm working at this, feedback is not only welcome, but would really be appreciated.
Thanks for looking, everyone.