• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CaseyJM

CaseyJM

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Interests:Paramedic by trade, Photography by passion, Hunting, Fishing (Bass - bucket mouth or Bronze Backs) Target Shooting, World of Warcraft (my personal getaway), Firearms wood stock refinishing, Action movies

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:24 AM

Please review and let me know what you thing,  No need to kind if you see something please let me know.  They are for the book and the publisher want these type of photos in this format.  The full body one with all the 2/3's space to the left is for advertising per my editor.  Thanks 

Jerome

Attached Files

Edited by CaseyJM, 21 September 2017 - 08:30 AM.

_DSC8728-2_zpsxeu0azby.jpg

Nikon D7200, Tokina 11-16 F2.8 AT-X Pro, Sigma 17-50 F2.8 EX DC OS, Sigma 70-200 F2.8 APO EX DG OS, Tamron 150-600 F/5.6-6.3 Di VC G2, 
Nikon SB-600, Pro-Master GH-25 Gimbal, Pro-Master 528 Tripod[/font][/color]

#2 Old Dog New Tricks

Old Dog New Tricks

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8203 posts
  • Interests:Scenic & Nature Photography, Travel, Cooking, Kayaking, Grandson and Granddaughter.

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:09 AM

Casey,

The focus is off.  Your nose, eyes, glasses are oof, but your hair is sharp. I can see it for sure in the first one, the second one looks like its the same.  The third shot looks OK focus, but that metal post inside the corner is a bit distracting.  Out of place with the split rail.  Can you PS it out?

Posted Image

"Photography is man's attempt at immortality. To save our memories and share them. The places we have been, the people we have known, the things we have done. To share with others for eternity, or until the images fade away."

Shooting with
Film Nikon N60, N70(2), EM, Mamiya C-330, C-33, RB67
Digital Nikon D7100 D7000, Nikon D200(RIP), Fuji S3Pro(Retired)

#3 CaseyJM

CaseyJM

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Interests:Paramedic by trade, Photography by passion, Hunting, Fishing (Bass - bucket mouth or Bronze Backs) Target Shooting, World of Warcraft (my personal getaway), Firearms wood stock refinishing, Action movies

Posted 21 September 2017 - 03:09 PM

Casey,

The focus is off.  Your nose, eyes, glasses are oof, but your hair is sharp. I can see it for sure in the first one, the second one looks like its the same.  The third shot looks OK focus, but that metal post inside the corner is a bit distracting.  Out of place with the split rail.  Can you PS it out?

I only noticed that when i looked at this upload in LR i was working on a much smaller view, also i am not very good with PS, plan on taking a beginners course for it in the near future.  It looks like back to the tree on my next rotation off for a redo.  

Jerome

_DSC8728-2_zpsxeu0azby.jpg

Nikon D7200, Tokina 11-16 F2.8 AT-X Pro, Sigma 17-50 F2.8 EX DC OS, Sigma 70-200 F2.8 APO EX DG OS, Tamron 150-600 F/5.6-6.3 Di VC G2, 
Nikon SB-600, Pro-Master GH-25 Gimbal, Pro-Master 528 Tripod[/font][/color]

#4 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3176 posts
  • Interests:I have been blessed to have a wonderful family that permits my activities doing photojournalism.

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:43 AM

I think a horse in the background might be less busy than all the buildings. Use the the corner post as your leaning point. I saw the out of focus too.

Sports and photojournalism
http://www.fotofill.net

#5 Dennis

Dennis

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14249 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 22 September 2017 - 07:31 AM

Also, they look like mug shots. The first one, you need to backup a little more.

Look here  at some samples; https://peterhurley....orate-headshots

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group

Nikon D4, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#6 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19349 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 10 October 2017 - 01:17 PM

I like the first image but you could back up a bit on it, as Dennis suggests.

Also, as Cliff stated, focus seems off.  In the first, your ear is sharp, but your eyes are not.  On a big screen, a slight OOF is magnified.

Honestly, the images look too stiff for my taste. Or, maybe too serious.  

Of the 3, I like the Bokeh of the first image best.

In the second, the buildings in the background give for a distracting bokeh.

In the 3rd image, I am not sure I would have the background in focus, up to you.  I agree with Phil, maybe a horse in the background would be better but to be honest, I prefer just a blurred background.

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#7 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5260 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:44 PM

If these are self portraits use the face detect feature on your AF system which will do a very good job of locking on and ensuring your face is the point of focus.

Look at your lighting as you're getting hard shadows from your specs right across your eyes.

Never marry someone until you've heard them step on Lego

Instagram

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users