#1 Virgil

Virgil

Galactic Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2042 posts
  • Interests:my family, photography, everything thatīs fast, my Triumph bike

Posted 20 January 2007 - 05:11 AM

Hereīs the link to this recently published Review of a pre-production Fuji S5 Pro

From what i saw up to now in this and other pictures this 1-stop advantage described everywhere would be nice for sure. On the other hand itīs not as impressive as most Fuji users hoped to get with the S5Pro. So for whom might the S5Pro be interesting?

- die-hard Fuji users still using their S2īs and never upgraded to the S3 for obvious reasons
- undecided potential D200 buyers as they get the best of both worlds

I donīt see that the Fuji will be a real problem for the D200 or D2-series of Nikon. The D200 holds up well and is about to drop in price anyway. So as soon as the S5Pro is available itīs simply a decission of taste. The D2īs simply have the handling advantage and cover a different market.

The S5Pro will for sure sell well and represents a nice addition to the photographic offerings available but it wonīt be something to write home about either and will remain an exotic option for the mass-market as all the other Fujiīs before.
Cheers

Virgil

#2 Sgt Soldier Blue

Sgt Soldier Blue

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:Primarily nature photography. I also shoot alot of sports, depending what sport my children are active in. I am also active in froensic photography.

Posted 21 January 2007 - 10:40 AM

I've only bought Nikon brand SLR's for 25 years. The Fuji S5 looks interesting because of the more vivid colors. I was interested in the S3, until I read about the slowness of the camera. I'm going to look at the S5 very seriously when it come out. In the mean time, I will enjoy the Nikon DSLR'S that I have.

#3 Dave Whiteley

Dave Whiteley

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6183 posts
  • Interests:Plant, close-up and macrophotography.

Posted 21 January 2007 - 11:43 AM

With the inevitable decline in film and the similarity between Nikon and Fuji, plus the consolidation in the traditional camera industry to compete with the electronics based firms entering it, I would not be surprised to see Nikon and Fuji merge in a few years time. Nikon would then have the Fuji sensor and not be dependent on Sony for them, always assuming the Foveon sensor has not been perfected by then, as that will inevitably be the way forward because, like shooting film, it needs no softening to degrade the image to stop moiré patterns or jaggies and then pseudo-sharpening afterwards. Sorry, but if the image at the bottom of the page is what you film users, portraitists and general photographers think is good colour then to a natural history photographer it's far too pink, unless the girl has just bathed in rouge, but then hopefully it's just a bad reproduction! Dave Whiteley
Nikon D200
AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70 mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED
60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor
70mm-180mm AF ED f4.5-f5.6 D Micro-Nikkor
Tamron SP AF200-500MM F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF)
Nikon PB6 belows, Nikon Tubes.
2X Nikon SB600 flash guns
Manfrotto dual flash bracket

#4 Virgil

Virgil

Galactic Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2042 posts
  • Interests:my family, photography, everything thatīs fast, my Triumph bike

Posted 21 January 2007 - 11:55 AM

Dave, the term "vivid" often catches me but is simply a matter of taste as in some countries is differently defined then elsewhere. Same goes for the term "the picture has to pop" - never got that until i saw what was meant. Pretty obviously some people like the - to my eyes - extreme colours the Fujiīs produced eversince which is fine with me. If iīd shoot a Fuji iīd simply turn it down to my liking. I also see a good chance for a merger for the reasons you mentioned but also for the fact that Fuji loses ground everywhere. The Self-Service machines donīt sell well, P&S market is nearly a non-issue for Fuji and the S5 alone wonīt make-up for the loss from film business as well. But i assume that Nikon just take over the majority and let Fuji (cos of itīs strong brand-name) stay on itīs own ... just a speculation.
Cheers

Virgil

#5 Luis V.

Luis V.

Planet Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1813 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 09:47 AM

The Super CCD is a neat idea and does add dynamic range but it does so at the cost of resolution. I'll take res anyday, in my opinion, over dynamic range since we are already at 8 stops (at least) of exposure range already. (according to some tests I've read). Most reviews state that it does not resolve the same amount of detail that a D200 or D2X does. As for Fuji & Nikon merging.... well simply to get away from Sony is stupid, I feel. Fuji does not make their sensors anyway. National Semiconductor does. Different name but still a thrid party. I am not concerned about Sony making the sensors at all. Let's face it, they are not in the space. I don't think "Sony" when I think photography. They do come up right away for TV's, DVD, etc. Ultimately..... if they can use Fuji's knowledge to make a Super CCD at 16MP (which would mean 32 million photodiodes in the sensor, half big and half small) that produces 10 stops of dynamic range in a $5000 package...... no problem with me. Do they have to be part of the same company? Who cares.
Luis V.Nikon D800/D2X/D200/D100Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8 AFS | 24-70mm f/2.8 AFS | 70-200mm f/2.8 AFS VR-II | 200-400mm f/4 AFS | 50mm f/1.4D | 85mm f/1.4D | 105mm f/2.8 Macro

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users