• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19589 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 23 October 2017 - 10:43 PM

Just playing around....

Settings:

1/250s

f22

ISO 100

Tripod

3 remote flash

One image is the D5, the other, the D800

Can you tell the difference?

Cropped the same

Attached File  D5-Terry-Cotta.jpg   351.56KB   0 downloads Attached File  D800-Terry-Cotta.jpg   351.44KB   0 downloads

100% Crop

Attached File  D5-Terry-Cotta-100%.jpg   357.16KB   0 downloads  Attached File  D800-Terry-Cotta-100%.jpg   357.16KB   0 downloads

Too bad I don't have the D850 with me.  It would make for a very cool comparison.  

One observation I had, and it was slightly adjusted out... the D5 has a warmer image.  It could be some other setting I missed on the D800 to make it the same.  The colors seem slightly richer.  Easily attainable in PP, but who wants to waste the time if you don't have to.

Set up....

I built a Light Tent, white reflectors (foam board) on the sides and top.

I used 3 flash on remote.

- SB-910 from the front and firing UP

- remote flashes firing up from the back forward

Camera about 2 feet away on a tripod.  Locked in the lens good and tight.

Fired first with one of the cameras then removed it and placed the other and fired again.

Settings as far as I could tell were identical, that was the plan.

Focus point is the uniform fold, just under the chin.

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#2 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6511 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:03 AM

Beats me Art .... i can't see a diiference.... the D5 WILL focus faster and more accurately... for moving stuff. :D

• Art likes this
Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#3 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 22574 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:06 AM

Yup hard to tell Art. Now go get a D500 same AF system, similar sensor except slightly smaller and you get more reach. Lots of guys shooting D8xx series around here use a D500 for sports and birding they love the extra reach/FoV and speed some even say the D500 is a tad better than the D5 because the AF points cover a larger area on the D500 than the D5. See you need a D5, D500 and a D850 then you will have the top 3 camera in every category! :D

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

D700 w/MB-D10, D605 w/MB-D14, D200 w/MB-D200, D50, Coolpix P330.

Nikon 1 stuff: Nikon V1, Nikkor 10mm f2.8 pancake w/HN-N101 & HC-N101, Nikkor 10-30mm f3.5-5.6 w/HB-N101 Aspherical VR,, Nikkor 18.5mm f1.8 w/HB-N104, Nikon 1 FT-1, SB-N5 w/Polaroid Diffuser .

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D, Nikkor 18-35 f3.5-4.5 AF-D ED.

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG HSM, Tamron's SP 70-200 f2.8 LD Di IF/Macro BIM, Kenko Pro 300 1.4 TC DGX, Tokina 100 f2.8D Macro At-X.

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#4 Herman

Herman

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9849 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, flight simulation, nature, photography and travel

Posted 24 October 2017 - 03:15 AM

Keep the D800!

:P

• Art likes this

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#5 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 14342 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 24 October 2017 - 10:27 AM

You wouldn't see a lot of differences necessarily. With my D4, with only 16meg, I have made prints as large as 5ft x 7ft, (at a client's lodge) with a file that I cropped in about 30%. If you're using those megapixels for reach, then you would probably see a differant when you need a 100-200% crop.

The more warm, is probably the differant in the image processor, the D5 has the new EXPEED 5 image processing engine, while the D800 has EXPEED 3. You can try to make the WB equal by setting it manually at the same values. That will eliminate WB differences.

• Art likes this

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group

Nikon D4, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#6 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6172 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 24 October 2017 - 10:41 AM

Uh, can we back this up, for a moment?  Did you decide to forgo the D850, and buy a used D5?  :huh:   Or are you just funnin' us?  :D

• Art likes this
Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#7 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19589 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 24 October 2017 - 12:25 PM

Uh, can we back this up, for a moment?  Did you decide to forgo the D850, and buy a used D5?  :huh:   Or are you just funnin' us?  :D

As an NPS member, I get to borrow Nikon gear from Nikon directly.

There are refurbed D5's available at the moment with low use.

As I will more than likely, eventually get the D850 grip, I figured I would try a D5's on for size just to see what the difference is. So, I signed one out for two weeks. I have so Corporate work to do, and the Raptor shoot. Seemed like a good time.

I will make up my mind at ProFusion and order either/or at the show or shortly after. Hoping they have show specials.

I was out this morning testing the D5's again. Just a lovely camera!

#8 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19589 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 12:28 PM

Jim,

:lol:

Get the holy trinity of cameras! If only the small inconvenience of money were not in the way!!! :P

#9 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19589 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 12:34 PM

You wouldn't see a lot of differences necessarily. With my D4, with only 16meg, I have made prints as large as 5ft x 7ft, (at a client's lodge) with a file that I cropped in about 30%. If you're using those megapixels for reach, then you would probably see a differant when you need a 100-200% crop.

The more warm, is probably the differant in the image processor, the D5 has the new EXPEED 5 image processing engine, while the D800 has [/size]EXPEED 3[/size]. You can try to make the WB equal by setting it manually at the same values. That will eliminate WB differences.

Dennis,

The Expeed5 is very, very impressive. The D800 holds its own, however, especially, when you need to crop. This is why I am leaning towards the D850.

Even with the outrageously priced grip, it will be a force to be reckoned with. If I can churn out good action picks at a Motorcycle race with a D800, I think the D850 will not disappoint.

And, for a few FPS difference, the D850 has features I really want that the D5's does not yet have.

Makes you truly wonder what the D6 will bring to the table (as you asked on FB), doesn't it!

#10 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19589 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 12:37 PM

Spoiler Alert on images above!!

Don't scroll down if you don't want to know....

D5 on left D800 on Right if side by side

Top images...D5
Bottom... D800, if you have a small screen to view these on

#11 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 07:18 PM

f/22 ?

That's seriously into the diffraction territory so both are slightly soft - especially the D800 image.  The D800 would have had another big step of sharpness at f/11.  I expected to see jaw dropping sharpness on the D800 since that's a known advantage.  Both cameras look about the same in terms of sharpness and contrast.  Did post processing settings differ?

I agree with your thought on warmth.  I've noticed small differences across cameras.  It's a taste issue rather than a problem.

I've got the holy trinity of cameras - the D850, D850 and D850.  It's hard to find anything it does not do well.  :)  All kidding aside, the D5 and D850 have different intended uses.  That said, the D850 has been my choice over the D800E and D500 for everything over the past month.

• Art likes this

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users