• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Competitive Target Shooting, Field Target - Rifle, PFT - Pistol Field Target, Indoor Silhouette, Cooking, Adult AirGuns, Computers, Martial Arts.

Posted 25 July 2016 - 12:50 AM

Is there a way to format memory cards in both slots and not have to pull the cards and swap slots? It sorta kinda gets on my last nerve to have to do this...

Anyone done this? If so how does that work?

SOME OF WHAT'S In MY GEAR BAGS

(1) Nikon D4 body fitted with leather grip (2) D3s bodies fitted with leather grips
Mamiya 645 with Lenses| Bellows | glass filters
Cambo Legend 4"x5" kit (Lenses | bag bellows | loupe | Sheet film holders..etc.)
Sony HVR-Z7U HDV Camcorder & DCR-DVD D650 HandyCam (just in case)

Nikon Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 f2.8 AF-S G ED VR Nikon Nikkor AF-S G IF-ED VR 300 mm F/2.8G VR IF G ED| AF Fisheye Nikkor 10.5mm f2.8 G ED | Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm|Nikon calls this the AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED | Fotodiox Pro Nikon Large Format 4x5 Adapter Minolta Flash Meter IV and Flash Meter III with various diffusers and a 5 degree spot meter attachment | Bogen 3051 tripod with 3047 HD 3-way head | Manfrotto 679B Monopod | BEIKE BK-45 Gimbal Head Neewer 110CM 43" 5-in-1 Collapsible Multi-Disc Reflectors (2) | Opteka RH-42 Reflector Holders (2) | Paul C Buff 22" Silver Beauty Dish & Diffuser | Photoflex medium and large Multi-Domes | Fotodiox 12"x 80" Strip Boxes with Egg Crates (2) | Shoot & DSLR Kit Wireless Flash Triggers | Zeikos White Balance Card Trio (white, black and 18%) | Calumet 32" and 44" Umbrellas (2 sets) | 5 White Lighting (P.Buff) Ultras with grids | barn doors | light stands | background stand | various seamless papers | Bogen 3085 Boom arms (2) | OCF: Nikon SB800 | Electronic and Manual Cable Releases | Tamarac MXS536801 & MXS536901 Memory/battery management wallets | 8-10 SanDisk CF Cards | Background Projector Box with patterns | HP Laptop (carried to location in camera case) | Calumet Pro Series RC1188 Rolling Camera Case | Cleaning kit | Muslin clamps | Color Gels | USB Cables | Lots of other stuff to keep this list shorter

#2 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7122 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 02:50 AM

What body are you talking about Greg..? My D3, D810.. previous D800E... you formatt both cards in position... simply pick which card to formatt from menu and press OK...you have to go back in menu and pick the other card to formatt it... no physical moving of cards.

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#3 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5342 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 06:39 AM

From the Nikon D3 instruction manual - from memory this is fairly consistent on other bodies:

Hold the Mode and Trash buttons down simultaneously for approximately two seconds. 

If two memory cards are inserted, the main command dial can be used to select the card to be formatted; check that the correct card is selected in the top control panel before proceeding. 

Press the Mode and Trash buttons together a second time to format the memory card. 

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him.

#4 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7416 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 25 July 2016 - 12:02 PM

If two memory cards are inserted, the main command dial can be used to select the card to be formatted; check that the correct card is selected in the top control panel before proceeding.  

Thanks for the info.

I knew about using the mode and trash buttons as a short cut, but have never worried about formatting the second card in the camera.  Mainly because, in the year that I've had the D810, there has been only one occasion when I have shot enough images to switch over to the second card (used menu settings for that).  Good to know for our upcoming trip.

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#5 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 01:45 PM

The two button reformat will reformat the primary card - whichever card is selected as primary is the one used for the two button reformat.  You can also go to the Tools menu and reformat either card.

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

#6 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Competitive Target Shooting, Field Target - Rifle, PFT - Pistol Field Target, Indoor Silhouette, Cooking, Adult AirGuns, Computers, Martial Arts.

Posted 25 July 2016 - 05:22 PM

All you guys re great help!! Very fast and concise information for sure!!

Thanks to everyone that had a hand in helping me!!.. I  am sure others have also went "Ooooooooooooooh really!!!!.. That's how that works?"

(1) Nikon D4 body fitted with leather grip (2) D3s bodies fitted with leather grips
Cambo Legend 4"x5" kit (Lenses | bag bellows | loupe | Sheet film holders..etc.)

Nikon Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 f2.8 AF-S G ED VR Nikon Nikkor AF-S G IF-ED VR 300 mm F/2.8G VR IF G ED| AF Fisheye Nikkor 10.5mm f2.8 G ED | Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm|Nikon calls this the AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED | Fotodiox Pro Nikon Large Format 4x5 Adapter Minolta Flash Meter IV and Flash Meter III with various diffusers and a 5 degree spot meter attachment | Bogen 3051 tripod with 3047 HD 3-way head | Manfrotto 679B Monopod | BEIKE BK-45 Gimbal Head Neewer 110CM 43" 5-in-1 Collapsible Multi-Disc Reflectors (2) | Opteka RH-42 Reflector Holders (2) | Paul C Buff 22" Silver Beauty Dish & Diffuser | Photoflex medium and large Multi-Domes | Fotodiox 12"x 80" Strip Boxes with Egg Crates (2) | Shoot & DSLR Kit Wireless Flash Triggers | Zeikos White Balance Card Trio (white, black and 18%) | Calumet 32" and 44" Umbrellas (2 sets) | 5 White Lighting (P.Buff) Ultras with grids | barn doors | light stands | background stand | various seamless papers | Bogen 3085 Boom arms (2) | OCF: Nikon SB800 | Electronic and Manual Cable Releases | Tamarac MXS536801 & MXS536901 Memory/battery management wallets | 8-10 SanDisk CF Cards | Background Projector Box with patterns | HP Laptop (carried to location in camera case) | Calumet Pro Series RC1188 Rolling Camera Case | Cleaning kit | Muslin clamps | Color Gels | USB Cables | Lots of other stuff to keep this list shorter

#7 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3407 posts
  • Interests:I have been blessed to have a wonderful family that permits my activities doing photojournalism.

Posted 25 July 2016 - 07:32 PM

I use tools to do it. My second card is a mirror. 

Sports and photojournalism
http://www.fotofill.net

#8 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 09:42 PM

I use tools to do it. My second card is a mirror. 

Hey foto,

U rarely Duplicate the card on slot 1. Most time I tend to be a high volume shooter, so I can end up with a few thousand images in one day of shooting. It was really starting to get on my nerve to have to pull a card to format with the hot keys for sure!! I always format right after using uploading my images.

#9 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3407 posts
  • Interests:I have been blessed to have a wonderful family that permits my activities doing photojournalism.

Posted 20 August 2016 - 02:46 AM

I shoot a lot on an assignment but rarely hit the 1k mark. The file size on the D5 is bigger and I am looking to catch a 64g XQD card on sale somewhere. I reformat cards before each shoot.

Sports and photojournalism
http://www.fotofill.net

#10 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 03:18 AM

I shoot a lot on an assignment but rarely hit the 1k mark. The file size on the D5 is bigger and I am looking to catch a 64g XQD card on sale somewhere. I reformat cards before each shoot.

I can shoot more than 700-1000 images on the regular at sporting events between 2 bodies. The last showcase I did was about 5000+ frames over 6 games. I always reformat cards as well, but unless I'm out of town I just change cards in the slots...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users