• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Competitive Target Shooting, Field Target - Rifle, PFT - Pistol Field Target, Indoor Silhouette, Cooking, Adult AirGuns, Computers, Martial Arts.

Posted 04 May 2015 - 10:59 PM

As of Friday I know own two (2) D3 bodies and by Wednesday one (1) D3s body. Here is what I am wondering as my initial question. Can the "My Setting" category be copied between all three bodies?  I got a heck of a deal on the D3s @ $1520.00 in an Ebay auction with 2 Day shipping free of charge(well actually I end up paying the shipping when I bid on the dang thing and paid...lol). This has been a good week for me I got all 3 bodies for $3748.00

I shot the photo below on Saturday with one of the D3 bodies: 1/500 @ F2.8 ISO 2000 EV +1 Focal Length 66mm using Auto WB to see how well the sensor and camera could figure out the room. I have to say I cant wait for the D3s to show up. Maaan you guys with D4s have to think you've died and gone to heaven...

Attached File  block_0358.jpg   619.1KB   1 downloads

Edited by gregc, 05 May 2015 - 06:54 AM.

SOME OF WHAT'S In MY GEAR BAGS

(1) Nikon D4 body fitted with leather grip (2) D3s bodies fitted with leather grips
Mamiya 645 with Lenses| Bellows | glass filters
Cambo Legend 4"x5" kit (Lenses | bag bellows | loupe | Sheet film holders..etc.)
Sony HVR-Z7U HDV Camcorder & DCR-DVD D650 HandyCam (just in case)

Nikon Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 f2.8 AF-S G ED VR Nikon Nikkor AF-S G IF-ED VR 300 mm F/2.8G VR IF G ED| AF Fisheye Nikkor 10.5mm f2.8 G ED | Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm|Nikon calls this the AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED | Fotodiox Pro Nikon Large Format 4x5 Adapter Minolta Flash Meter IV and Flash Meter III with various diffusers and a 5 degree spot meter attachment | Bogen 3051 tripod with 3047 HD 3-way head | Manfrotto 679B Monopod | BEIKE BK-45 Gimbal Head Neewer 110CM 43" 5-in-1 Collapsible Multi-Disc Reflectors (2) | Opteka RH-42 Reflector Holders (2) | Paul C Buff 22" Silver Beauty Dish & Diffuser | Photoflex medium and large Multi-Domes | Fotodiox 12"x 80" Strip Boxes with Egg Crates (2) | Shoot & DSLR Kit Wireless Flash Triggers | Zeikos White Balance Card Trio (white, black and 18%) | Calumet 32" and 44" Umbrellas (2 sets) | 5 White Lighting (P.Buff) Ultras with grids | barn doors | light stands | background stand | various seamless papers | Bogen 3085 Boom arms (2) | OCF: Nikon SB800 | Electronic and Manual Cable Releases | Tamarac MXS536801 & MXS536901 Memory/battery management wallets | 8-10 SanDisk CF Cards | Background Projector Box with patterns | HP Laptop (carried to location in camera case) | Calumet Pro Series RC1188 Rolling Camera Case | Cleaning kit | Muslin clamps | Color Gels | USB Cables | Lots of other stuff to keep this list shorter

#2 Dennis

Dennis

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15205 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:07 AM

Congrats. Yeah, I love my D4. I'm saving to get another one.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#3 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Competitive Target Shooting, Field Target - Rifle, PFT - Pistol Field Target, Indoor Silhouette, Cooking, Adult AirGuns, Computers, Martial Arts.

Posted 05 May 2015 - 11:13 AM

Thanks Dennis. I was amazed to find out that a D4 can buffer a bit over 100 RAW images before the buffer clogs.

OK I bet u can answer this. Can the settings from "My Menu" be saved and transfered to another. Nikon body of the same type?

(1) Nikon D4 body fitted with leather grip (2) D3s bodies fitted with leather grips
Cambo Legend 4"x5" kit (Lenses | bag bellows | loupe | Sheet film holders..etc.)

Nikon Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 f2.8 AF-S G ED VR Nikon Nikkor AF-S G IF-ED VR 300 mm F/2.8G VR IF G ED| AF Fisheye Nikkor 10.5mm f2.8 G ED | Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm|Nikon calls this the AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED | Fotodiox Pro Nikon Large Format 4x5 Adapter Minolta Flash Meter IV and Flash Meter III with various diffusers and a 5 degree spot meter attachment | Bogen 3051 tripod with 3047 HD 3-way head | Manfrotto 679B Monopod | BEIKE BK-45 Gimbal Head Neewer 110CM 43" 5-in-1 Collapsible Multi-Disc Reflectors (2) | Opteka RH-42 Reflector Holders (2) | Paul C Buff 22" Silver Beauty Dish & Diffuser | Photoflex medium and large Multi-Domes | Fotodiox 12"x 80" Strip Boxes with Egg Crates (2) | Shoot & DSLR Kit Wireless Flash Triggers | Zeikos White Balance Card Trio (white, black and 18%) | Calumet 32" and 44" Umbrellas (2 sets) | 5 White Lighting (P.Buff) Ultras with grids | barn doors | light stands | background stand | various seamless papers | Bogen 3085 Boom arms (2) | OCF: Nikon SB800 | Electronic and Manual Cable Releases | Tamarac MXS536801 & MXS536901 Memory/battery management wallets | 8-10 SanDisk CF Cards | Background Projector Box with patterns | HP Laptop (carried to location in camera case) | Calumet Pro Series RC1188 Rolling Camera Case | Cleaning kit | Muslin clamps | Color Gels | USB Cables | Lots of other stuff to keep this list shorter

#4 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15205 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 12:06 PM

Yes, I can save settings, which includes My Menu and recent settings. In fact, it saves all the banks and a few other things. So, I can save them from D4 to D4. I'm sure you can do the same. However, I'm not sure if D3 can be used by D3s. I always download the manual, and if you did, you can search save settings, and you will get there. The only thing I can say is try it. The manual isn't going to say what bodies are comparable. If the D3 has it, you should have save settings, load settings. It will save your settings onto your card.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#5 Virgil

Virgil

Galactic Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2042 posts
  • Interests:my family, photography, everything that΄s fast, my Triumph bike

Posted 06 May 2015 - 01:15 AM

Hi Greg, congrats to your acquisitions. You can export / import between same cameras. Copying from D3 to D3s or vice-versa may not work due to settings not supported by the respective other model (I´d try it anyway just to be sure though). Enjoy shooting!

Cheers

Virgil

#6 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:51 AM

Hi Greg, congrats to your acquisitions. You can export / import between same cameras. Copying from D3 to D3s or vice-versa may not work due to settings not supported by the respective other model (I´d try it anyway just to be sure though). Enjoy shooting!

Hi Virgil,

Thanks much for the reply.i see now that outdoors a D2Xs and D3 body perform about the same with good light. It indoors in lowlight where they separate by a lot performance-wise. I'm planning on saving setups to cards. Hopefully that goes well.

Speaking of which. Anyone have a couple of compact flash cards they would like to sell that in can use for storing cam settings? I would suspect the can be a less than 1 gig in size since they only will have camera configurations backup on them?

#7 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15205 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:55 AM

You could save it to a card, then save it to your computer. that way, you can place it on any card.

Thanks, Dennis.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#8 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 09:00 AM

Yeah Dennis I thought of the first but then I wondered what if the setup trashed while I was working? So I think I save more time if I can pop in a card and restore as opposed to getting setting from outer to card then to camera. Albeit, I'm not quite sure how saving setting works yet...lol

Thanks for the idea.

#9 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 09 May 2015 - 05:19 PM

Ok guys I found 3 (three) Transcend 133X 4 gig  Compact Flash cards for about 20 bucks. I know there are a little big but I'll be able to store my configs and keep then on jobs just in case. Thanks again to all who replied...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users