#1 Waterfowler

Waterfowler

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3531 posts
  • Interests:Photography,Waterfowl, Snowboarding, Outdoors,Fishing

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:55 PM

Ok Those who have the XQD card what card should I get I see they have to the H series or N series seem like the price is about a hundred dollars different for the same GB.  Is one faster then the other? And if so how much difference will it make on pictures? I don't really do Video, this will be my first camera with video, but I didn't buy the D4 for Video.

http://www.bestbuy.c...=All Categories

Mark Shartle

D300,D40x, MB-D10
600mm AF-S II, 70-300mm VR,18-55mm, 300mm f/4 AF-S Nikon TC-14E II
Sigma 55-200mm, Sigma 8-16mm
Gizto 3541 XLS Tripod, Markins Q20 Ballhead
WH-200 Wimberley Head Version II
Wimberley Sidekick

Lightroom 3
Photoshop CS5

#2 Dennis

Dennis

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14905 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:30 PM

I Have the H 16 gig, and a 16 gig CF card at 60/mg. I have not seen where these have slowed down the D4 any, for the CF card as well. So, I would not guess the N will be slow in the camera. I don't think your going to have issues with how fast it works in the D4, as the D4 has a large buffer. Unless your shooting 100 to 200 images raw uncompressed and your shooting racing cars going 200mph. And then, still.

At 16 gig and 14 bit raw files, I can get around 500 images on either card. I went to an event where I was going to shoot a lot of head shots. And my style is not to just shoot 1 at a time. I will pose, shoot 5 or 6 while I move and give some directions, then repose. I had about 3 minutes to work with each. I shot about 10 to 20 for each gal, about 1 shot a second. I ended up at right about 500 images. I thought I was going to use both cards, but didn't.

Now, this is where I see the difference, on the computer. The XQD can unload the 500 images faster than the CF card. But, if you don't have the newer USB3 on your computer, not sure your going to see that much speed difference between the N and H. I have connected the XQD reader to one of my USB2, and it is slower, but a bit faster than CF. I also just got a BAS [big a--] computer, with 3TB of internal storage. So, a lot is going to depend on your computer.

Why did I get the H over the N, they didn't have the N in stock at the time. I really don't think your going to loss anything by getting the N card now, and then getting something better later. I noticed the prices went up when Nikon announced the D4s. there is now S series and Lexar makes them now.

H is not 4k compatable, this is vidieo related. 

H & N is about 125/mb read write. 

N & S are 4k comparable, again video.

S is about 180/mb read/write.

B&H has that N32 at 99.98$, so shop around.

This is the card reader I got; http://www.amazon.co...xqd memory card

Edited by Dennis, 17 April 2014 - 01:32 PM.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#3 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Interests:I have been blessed to have a wonderful family that permits my activities doing photojournalism.

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:51 AM

That's the reader I have. I have 2 H 16 cards. I guess it's an investment you need to consider.

Sports and photojournalism
http://www.fotofill.net

#4 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 14905 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:22 AM

I haven't see the 16 around the sites. Hmmm.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#5 Waterfowler

Waterfowler

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • 3531 posts
  • Interests:Photography,Waterfowl, Snowboarding, Outdoors,Fishing

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:41 AM

I Have the H 16 gig, and a 16 gig CF card at 60/mg. I have not seen where these have slowed down the D4 any, for the CF card as well. So, I would not guess the N will be slow in the camera. I don't think your going to have issues with how fast it works in the D4, as the D4 has a large buffer. Unless your shooting 100 to 200 images raw uncompressed and your shooting racing cars going 200mph. And then, still.   At 16 gig and 14 bit raw files, I can get around 500 images on either card. I went to an event where I was going to shoot a lot of head shots. And my style is not to just shoot 1 at a time. I will pose, shoot 5 or 6 while I move and give some directions, then repose. I had about 3 minutes to work with each. I shot about 10 to 20 for each gal, about 1 shot a second. I ended up at right about 500 images. I thought I was going to use both cards, but didn't.   Now, this is where I see the difference, on the computer. The XQD can unload the 500 images faster than the CF card. But, if you don't have the newer USB3 on your computer, not sure your going to see that much speed difference between the N and H. I have connected the XQD reader to one of my USB2, and it is slower, but a bit faster than CF. I also just got a BAS [big a--] computer, with 3TB of internal storage. So, a lot is going to depend on your computer.   Why did I get the H over the N, they didn't have the N in stock at the time. I really don't think your going to loss anything by getting the N card now, and then getting something better later. I noticed the prices went up when Nikon announced the D4s. there is now S series and Lexar makes them now.   H is not 4k compatable, this is vidieo related.  H & N is about 125/mb read write.  N & S are 4k comparable, again video. S is about 180/mb read/write.   B&H has that N32 at 99.98$, so shop around.     This is the card reader I got; http://www.amazon.co...xqd memory card

B&H xqd cards are on back order along with adormara. I'm going order 1 or 2 from best buy.
Mark Shartle

D300,D40x, MB-D10
600mm AF-S II, 70-300mm VR,18-55mm, 300mm f/4 AF-S Nikon TC-14E II
Sigma 55-200mm, Sigma 8-16mm
Gizto 3541 XLS Tripod, Markins Q20 Ballhead
WH-200 Wimberley Head Version II
Wimberley Sidekick

Lightroom 3
Photoshop CS5

#6 annette

annette

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:wildlife,nature,people and rust.

Posted 06 December 2014 - 07:08 PM

Stupid question: 

I have asked in about every shop in the Digital Mall in Petaling Jaya where you can get just about every electronic item ever made.

Nobody sells these cards.

Also tried every camera shop around KL.

Went to the biggest Sony shop.

In France I'm not even trying.

Where on earth are they sold?

Whatever possessed Nikon to put a useless card slot in the camera instead of two CF slots I can't figure.

Are they really that much better than a Cf card?

Is there an adapter around to use SD cards in the weird slot?

#7 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Interests:I have been blessed to have a wonderful family that permits my activities doing photojournalism.

Posted 07 December 2014 - 08:50 PM

I use two cameras that have XQD slots. One advantage is the "need for speed." It is a welcome site to see the files uploading from card to computer in a "hurry-up way" when there is a deadline in a few minutes. Not long ago, the micro drive was the bomb as a replacement for small CF cards. Technology has come a long way. The CF card development has paved the way for those super fast solid state hard drives that are in computers. Odd balls like me  appreciate that extra bit of speed that comes from using these weird cards and solid state hard drives. 

For video shooters, XQD cards are a great asset. 

#8 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 14905 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 10:10 AM

You can get them from B&H, amazon, Adorama and the like. They are used by video folks mostly, and right now the cost is really high. The cards are more for Cannon's and Sony's broadcast video camera's. Why Nikon used it for the D4 line, and not used it in the D800 line is beyond me (thinking of transferring the large D800 series image files fast). I keep looking for deals and get one when there is one. And, right now is not the time for them on the cheap.

Thanks, Dennis.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#9 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 10150 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, flight simulation (Airbus series), nature, photography and travel

Posted 10 December 2014 - 05:23 PM

Annette, in case you still require XQD cards...

See link: http://www.cameranu....n-en-opslag/xqd

Very reliable & expedient service!

:)

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#10 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • 3330 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 09:55 PM

I am going to renew this forum by posting a "short story" about getting replacement of three Sony XQD cards. If you have no interest in XQD and the warranty process at Sony, read no more.

I use Nikon D4 cameras. Both came with Sony 16 gig XQD cards. I also bought a Sony 32 gig card. I use these cards as my main storage media. After each shoot, they are removed from the camera and are placed in a Sony MRW-E80 card reader. I upload to my computer, then I return the cards to the camera. Apparently the action of loading and unloading these cards is more than the physical structure of the card can endure. (In fairness, these cards have been handled many times a week for 2-3 years.)

My cards were physically falling apart from handling. The Nikon guy says it's "expected that you will replace cards after a year." Not me, I cannot afford to buy the cards all the time. So, I called Sony and at level one, I was told they WOULD NOT REPLACE cards. Even though there is a 5 (five) year warranty on the cards. The next step was to find the number for Sony WARRANTY.  That number is 800-222-7669. It seems there is a company called Encompass/Sony that handles warranty support. I was switched to a woman named Alex.

This was the SIXTH person at Sony, but she was the right one. She asked me to give her the info from the back of each card. She, in return, gave me numbers to attach with the cards when I send them. She said to attach proof of purchase. I use Paypal for as much of my photo business as possible. I had all the POP info. I sent the 3 cards and info to Laredo, Texas, where Sony stores inventory for returns.

As I waited for Sony to act, I was in Indianapolis and visited my favorite camera store, Roberts. I decided to buy a couple XQD cards. They had Lexar 32 gig cards and the price tag on them was 229.95. I know that was waayy to high. I told them that was too high, and asked them to check the price. Their computer said...$90.00. I bought two and have been using them. They are 200mb/sec compared to Sony's 125 mb/sec. I registered the product online. Folks, ALWAYS register your product.

The last part of the story... No response from Sony after 10 days. I called the warranty number and told them I have return return numbers for XQD cards. They gave me the phone number of the return center in Laredo, TX. I called the number and a man named...wait for it... Gabriel answered the phone! I told him of my situation. He didn't bother to look-up anything. He asked what the cards were that failed. That was yesterday. TODAY I received 3- 32 gig XQD cards. I had to work through all this, but I got the cards. I will probably will not buy the Sony brand again.

Attached Files

Edited by fotofill, 29 October 2015 - 10:04 PM.

#11 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • 3330 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 05:45 PM

More news about this.

Sony called and said they don't have XQD cards. (They already gave me 3!) They want to give me a refund. Yep, so I get three cards and will receive the $ for 3 cards.

They then sent an email and said basically, the same thing. They wanted proof of purchase. That was in the package I sent that had the chips in it. I told them that I had sent the data with the chips. But, I told them to close the case, no double-dipping. What a sorry mess at Sony.

#12 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 20670 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 21 November 2015 - 05:51 PM

Yup... that is why I stopped buying their product, they are a pathetic company.

Signature_Line_V4

#13 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23253 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 21 November 2015 - 06:21 PM

Yep Sony is not a company I want to deal with had an issues with a play station it took months to resolve.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#14 Gary Worrall

Gary Worrall

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6688 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 06:23 PM

Hi Mark,

Been an interesting thread, sort of glad I bought Lexar in the end,

I got Lexar Professional 1100x 64GB never has any problem

Actually, only use the XQD for over flow or video,

Main cards now are Lexar CF Professional 1066x 32 GB, haven't bothered getting any more XQD cards as the Lexar 1066x CF cards can keep up with the D4s with ease

Before I buy any more cards, will wait and see what the D5 has in it, the XQD could be abandoned altogether and 2x CF or 2x C Fast? Who knows?

........Gary

- I have a photographic memory but never got it developed -

#15 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23253 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 21 November 2015 - 08:01 PM

I agree Gary at this point I would wait to see if the D5 is a XQD card camera. I know several high end Video Cameras use the XQD card but if Nikon ships a D5 with out a XQD card I would say that the format is dead.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#16 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • 3330 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 12:21 AM

That is something I would like to find out... D5  XQD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users