• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:17 PM

I noticed two very large turkeys in my backyard today out behind the chicken coop, so I rushed downstairs, grabbed my D 3300 and the 70-300 Tamron.

I got outside into a good position, snapped a few good photos, they then freaked out and jumped over the fence into my neighbor's yard.

At this point I realized my 3 stop Breakthrough Photography ND filter was attached to the lens! I downloaded the photos anyway but they were very dark and the auto ISO was at 1000, so when I boosted the exposure in PS enough so the photos could be viewed there was a lot of noise so the whole thing ended up not being worth it.

So the lesson I learned was never ever leave a filter on the lens when it doesn't have to be there. I ruined some good shots.
  • Art likes this

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#2 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18077 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:20 PM

I feel your pain!

I have done many similar SNAFU's!

1) Left the house with no SD card

- that's not happening again...ever

2) Left the house with Dead Batteries

3) Left the house on a Marketing shoot with no backup batteries

And, how many times have I been too lazy to bring other lens only to find that would have been the perfect lens to use!

All learning experiences.

Throw some feed out, they'll be back! 

SignaturePic_zpsfmrwh4ny.jpg

#3 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:36 PM

Lol, maybe I can learn from your mistakes :) no SD card is a good one!

It was probably the chicken feed that attracted the turkeys.

Edited by Leaviathan, 20 April 2017 - 08:37 PM.

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#4 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 18077 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:46 PM

Oh yea..... I went out to meet up with PN member Peter L.

We met at Hendrie Valley in Burlington, Ontario.  A good 30 minute car ride for me..... 

"Hey, Pete, you got an extra card!" :lol:

Yea, that was embarrassing!

SignaturePic_zpsfmrwh4ny.jpg

#5 JasonTO

JasonTO

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Interests:Photography Interests: Birds, mammals, reptiles, amphibians, fish, insects, mushrooms, landscapes, murals, sculptures, graffiti, architecture, monuments, etc.

Other interests: Archaeology, anthropology, paleoanthropology, archaeoastronomy, history, ancient history, mythology, folklore, geography, etc.

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:04 AM

I've forgotten SD cards a couple of times. I invested in a couple extra and leave them in my camera bag all the time.

I've forgotten batteries once. I have had batteries loose their juice during winter outdoor photo treks until they warmed up again. I bought a couple of extra batteries (I got a good deal).

I've forgotten to change my polfilter on an overcast, rainy day. And I've forgotten my polfilter on extremely bright, sunny days. I forget my glare guard now and again, too.

Good times!

#6 Herman

Herman

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9151 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, nature, photography and travel

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:49 AM

One more possible thing, Lea... JPG or NEF.

If not the latter, NEF could have possibly made your day!

:)

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 and some lenses.

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#7 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5381 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:34 PM

Thank you, Lea, for assuring me that I'm not the only one learning lessons like that.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#8 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3052 posts
  • Interests:I have been blessed to have a wonderful family that permits my activities doing photojournalism.

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:13 PM

You leave extras in YOUR CAR! I have loaned sd cards many times. (my cams don't use them anymore.) 

(speaking to self) Why don't you leave a battery in your car, idiot)

Looking for cheapest Nikon copycat battery for car. Because, I will never forget batteries in charger again. ;-P

Edited by fotofill, 21 April 2017 - 04:14 PM.

Sports and photojournalism
http://www.fotofill.net

#9 justshootit

justshootit

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • 3871 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, travelogues, aircraft photography.

Posted 22 April 2017 - 02:51 AM

Re: the cards - Ken Rockwell (I know, I know, but he's right on this one) said that he always downloads straight from the camera's USB port and I've adopted that strategy. I once did a shoot with the F3 and guess what - no film in the camera <blood curdling scream>.

Re: settings - It's also a good idea after a shoot to do a breakdown where you put everything away and set all your settings back to your "defaults." This has saved me more than once. Prior to adopting this, I can't tell you how many times I pushed the shutter and nothing - I'm looking at the camera like "WT* - why won't this %#$&/!!ing thing shoot??!!!!" Only to notice that I left the thing in self timer mode. <_<. By the way, I love the N90s self timer - it cancels itself after each use. I wish all Nikon bodies did this ...
Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#10 justshootit

justshootit

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • 3871 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 03:08 AM

Oh, also ... Costco has these Eneloop sets with 10 AAs and 4 AAAs for about 18 bucks. You folks outside the US/Canada can likely find similar deals at warehouse stores or online. If there was ever a good reason to have a grip on your camera, this is it.
Don
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#11 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5153 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 03:09 AM

Why would the images be dark with a ND filter on them as the camera would simply compensate?

Never trust a hug. It's just a way to hide your face.

Instagram

#12 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5381 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 22 April 2017 - 01:00 PM

Re: the cards - Ken Rockwell (I know, I know, but he's right on this one) said that he always downloads straight from the camera's USB port and I've adopted that strategy. I once did a shoot with the F3 and guess what - no film in the camera <blood curdling scream>.

Re: settings - It's also a good idea after a shoot to do a breakdown where you put everything away and set all your settings back to your "defaults." This has saved me more than once. Prior to adopting this, I can't tell you how many times I pushed the shutter and nothing - I'm looking at the camera like "WT* - why won't this %#$&/!!ing thing shoot??!!!!" Only to notice that I left the thing in self timer mode. <_<. By the way, I love the N90s self timer - it cancels itself after each use. I wish all Nikon bodies did this ...

Don, I wasn't sure if your comments about cards was talking about tethered shooting; or simply transferring images from the camera to a computer right after shooting.  When I shoot still life, I shoot tethered to the computer with the images going directly to Lightroom.  Last year, Dennis and I talked about other tethered shooting options such as Cam Ranger, but I'm not ready for that just yet.  For all other shooting, I change cards as soon as I'm finished, then transfer the images to my computer or whatever backup storage device I'm using.  By doing it immediately, I always have a freshly formatted card, ready to go.

You are 100% correct about settings.  One Lynda.com author called it "zeroing out the camera".  I'm getting much better at this, but still have a ways to go.  I refer to moments like that as "head slapping moments".  :rolleyes:

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#13 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 09:55 PM

Why would the images be dark with a ND filter on them as the camera would simply compensate?

I had a 1/1250 shutter speed, only ISO was on auto.

#14 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 21427 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 22 April 2017 - 11:13 PM

Been there have the T-Shirt nothing like having to buy a SD card at a store that charges twice as much as online. It gets worse when you use a CF card they are harder to find!  :huh:

My favorite was when I thought the pop up flash was busted on my D50 I was going nuts trying everthing kept resetting the camera etc etc. Well the brim of my ball cap was preventing it from popping up all the way so it wouldn't fire!  :blink:  :wacko:  :P

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

D700 w/MB-D10, D605 w/MB-D14, D200 w/MB-D200, D50, Coolpix P330.

Nikon 1 stuff: Nikon V1, Nikkor 10mm f2.8 pancake w/HN-N101 & HC-N101, Nikkor 10-30mm f3.5-5.6 w/HB-N101 Aspherical VR,, Nikkor 18.5mm f1.8 w/HB-N104, Nikon 1 FT-1, SB-N5 w/Polaroid Diffuser .

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D, Nikkor 18-35 f3.5-4.5 AF-D ED.

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG HSM, Tamron's SP 70-200 f2.8 LD Di IF/Macro BIM, Kenko Pro 300 1.4 TC DGX, Tokina 100 f2.8D Macro At-X.

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#15 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5153 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 02:57 AM

I had a 1/1250 shutter speed, only ISO was on auto.

Then to be honest the issue is not the filter its the way you have the camera set up - if the light had dropped you would have ran into the same issues.

I get what you're saying and we all made daft mistakes like leaving filters on etc but there may be a deeper issue in the way you're shooting that could do with a tweak or two?

Never trust a hug. It's just a way to hide your face.

Instagram

#16 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2105 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy photography(of course)and I'm a gadget freak, especially if it can be used in photography.

Posted 23 April 2017 - 04:08 AM

Yes I've learned to put a spare memory card in my car and one in Crystal's car. And I've got into the habit of setting the WB, ISO, and other settings back to what I use most after every shoot.

Bill

Still shooting DX digital and don't plan on going full frame.

D7100,  red D5300, IR converted D300,  D40,  F2 eye level, F2AS serviced by Sover Wong, N2000, N6000, N90s, Nikomat FTN,

#17 Old Dog New Tricks

Old Dog New Tricks

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8034 posts
  • Interests:Scenic & Nature Photography, Travel, Cooking, Kayaking, Grandson and Granddaughter.

Posted 23 April 2017 - 07:04 AM

1.   First I have 5 cards, two in each camera and one in the computer.  Take one out of the camera, replace it with the one in the computer.  Actually have a couple of spares in my bag as well.  Old and slow cards.

2.   My classic fail!!  Shooting at a fatal accident with a Crown Graphic 4x5 with a 16 shot film pack, on a cold winter night.  Failed to pull the dark slide...  not only did I blow 16 shots, but held up the scene for another hour.

3.  Carry extra battery and my battery grips have slides for AA batteries.

Posted Image

"Photography is man's attempt at immortality. To save our memories and share them. The places we have been, the people we have known, the things we have done. To share with others for eternity, or until the images fade away."

Shooting with
Film Nikon N60, N70(2), EM, Mamiya C-330, C-33, RB67
Digital Nikon D7100 D7000, Nikon D200(RIP), Fuji S3Pro(Retired)

#18 justshootit

justshootit

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • 3871 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 06:48 PM

Don, I wasn't sure if your comments about cards was talking about tethered shooting; or simply transferring images from the camera to a computer right after shooting.  When I shoot still life, I shoot tethered to the computer with the images going directly to Lightroom.  Last year, Dennis and I talked about other tethered shooting options such as Cam Ranger, but I'm not ready for that just yet.  For all other shooting, I change cards as soon as I'm finished, then transfer the images to my computer or whatever backup storage device I'm using.  By doing it immediately, I always have a freshly formatted card, ready to go.

You are 100% correct about settings.  One Lynda.com author called it "zeroing out the camera".  I'm getting much better at this, but still have a ways to go.  I refer to moments like that as "head slapping moments".  :rolleyes:

I was talking about downloading from the camera to the computer.  The point is that the cards never leave the camera, so if I have the camera, I have the cards.  Of course this assumes that the number of shots I take is such that I don't fill up the cards. 

I really need to get the cable and the Tether Tools jerk stopper so I can shoot tethered,  I've never tried it.  I wonder if I can do it with the D1x without Nikon Camera Control 2.

Don

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users