11 replies to this topic

#1 nwcs

nwcs

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 08:09 AM

Been searching for a while but I just don't see many people reviewing the various fisheye options. I found a few reviews from years ago but they are kinda out of date.

Of the options out there which fisheye would give the sharpest non-circular image on a modern FX camera? Third party or Nikon. In my case a D750.

Thanks!

#2 Keith M

Keith M

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 10:16 AM

the Samyang/Rokonon 12mm has gotten some great reviews.

so has the Sigma 15mm 2.8.

both 1/2 the price of the Nikon 16mm.

I Haven't tried either but the shots on Youtube  look really good.

"First we have to make you pretty"

Pixels are like beans, it doesn't matter how many you put in the pot, it's how well you can cook that counts.

#3 480sparky

480sparky

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 10:56 AM

I use a Siggy 15mm.  I rented both it and the Nikkor 16 D, and the Siggy won.

Don't mind me..... I'm just out roaming around between Zone II and Zone IX.
Imagination Images of Iowa

#4 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4038 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, travelogues, aircraft photography.

Posted 03 August 2015 - 12:05 PM

I've gotten good results with the Sigma also.
Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#5 nwcs

nwcs

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 08:48 PM

I've heard good things about the Sigma but the Rokinon is very tempting. Newer design and coatings with a great price. I've read that the Nikon one doesn't hold up well on newer dslrs.

#6 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19182 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 04 August 2015 - 08:11 PM

NWCS

If you go with the Rokinon, I would be very interested in seeing the results.  Please post some images. 

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#7 nwcs

nwcs

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 10:52 AM

Will do. I'm waiting for b&h reward points to come in so I can cash in a bunch for a lens.

#8 Arlon

Arlon

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2742 posts
  • Interests:Just about anything as long as it's outside.

Posted 07 August 2015 - 02:48 PM

I'm not sure I understand the question. Is it possible you are really looking for a rectilinear lens not a fisheye? Fisheye is circular because it's a fisheye (wider FOV for the same length). The rectilinear lenses have narrower field of view without CIRCULAR distortion, the distortion is linear. For most things my favorite wide lens is the 16-35mm F4. It's a rectilinear design and pretty easy to correct distortion and it is as sharp as any lens I own (Shooting on D800E). I also have a Nikon 16mm f2.8 "Fisheye"lens, I really don't like the circular look of the fisheye for much of anything (I'm happy to trade less FOV for linear distortion).  I also like an old manual focus Nikkor 15mm F5.6 rectilinear lens but it is NOTHING like the 16mm f2.8 fisheye. I also have a Zenitar (Russian) 16mm fisheye that cost $175 and is very close to the 16mm Nikkor in image quality but has the same amount of circular distortion and FOV). 

Maybe the best way to compare lenses is going to be by their FOV. As they become more rectilinear (less circular) they also loose FOV. My 15mm rectilinear lens has an FOV of 100deg and the 16mm fisheye has a 180deg FOV, much more FOV but at the cost of severe circular distortion. I don't think you can have the 180 deg FOV without the circular distortion. More circular the image, the wider it's FOV is most likely going to be. It's all a trade off. (-:}

A good question would be what's the widest rectilinear lens on the market? Not sure what that would be. 

I think if you take two companies lenses, one having less circular distortion than the other, they will also loose FOV. Maybe a 12mm rectilinear lens comes closer to a 16mm fisheye in the FOV dept and better controlled distortion. 

Shot with the 15mm rectilinear lens (no lens correction). You can see there is a lot of distortion (fences show it well) but it is not at all circular and easy to fix if you want to. I could have used the fisheye and gotten more FOV but I just don't like that look for much of anything. I'll sacrifice the FOV for the linear distortion. 

large.jpg

Edited by Arlon, 07 August 2015 - 02:58 PM.

D50, D90, D100 IR, D700, D800E and a bunch of old manual lenses..
D70 IR (stolen), D200 (stolen)

#9 480sparky

480sparky

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 03:36 PM

A good question would be what's the widest rectilinear lens on the market? Not sure what that would be. 

I think Siggy's 12-24 ATM.

Don't mind me..... I'm just out roaming around between Zone II and Zone IX.
Imagination Images of Iowa

#10 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 04:19 PM

I like the Nikon 16mm f/2.8 fisheye.  It's a tiny lens and tends to go with me often.  I've used it for both fisheye images and de-fished.  As you would expect, the corners are a little soft but not problematic.  It's also relatively fast, so it works for stars and night photography.

The new Nikon 20mm f/1.8 is a good non-fish alternative - quite wide and sharp.  Of course, there is a big difference between the field of view of a fisheye vs. conventional wide lenses.

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

#11 nwcs

nwcs

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 06:36 PM

Yep. I am familiar with both types of wides. I'm thinking full frame fisheye because I like that you really can have fun with it. I've had the 14-24 before on D800 and 10.5 fisheye on D300. I'm still waiting for my B&H reward points to come in so I haven't bought anything yet.

#12 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Competitive Target Shooting, Field Target - Rifle, PFT - Pistol Field Target, Indoor Silhouette, Cooking, Adult AirGuns, Computers, Martial Arts.

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:53 AM

I've heard good things about the Sigma but the Rokinon is very tempting. Newer design and coatings with a great price. I've read that the Nikon one doesn't hold up well on newer dslrs.

I am not sure what happens with say a D800 series, D4, D5 at all. But this is what I got with a Nikon 10.5 mm Fish on a D3 series body.

Attached File  _DSC0779X.jpg   242.59KB   0 downloads

Attached File  _DSC0639X.jpg   237.36KB   0 downloads

I did however find this posted in a review for Nikon Fisheye Lenses (10.5mm and 16mm):

" When using a cropped sensor lens (DX) on a full frame body like the D700 or D3 your image will be cropped down to about 6MP (2784×1848) instead of the full 12MP (4256×2832)  supported by your full frame camera. So if you really want the full resolution of your camera then you should go with a full-frame lens."

SOURCE: http://terrywhite.co...10-5mm-vs-16mm/

• Art likes this
SOME OF WHAT'S In MY GEAR BAGS

Nikon D3 bodies X 2 (two) and One (1) D3s fitted with leather grips
Mamiya 645 with Lenses| Bellows | glass filters
Minolta 9000s with motor drives (part of my old film-based gear)
Cambo Legend 4"x5" kit (Lenses | bag bellows | loupe | Sheet film holders..etc.)
Sony HVR-Z7U HDV Camcorder & DCR-DVD D650 HandyCam (just in case)

Nikon Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 f2.8 AF-S G ED VR Nikon Nikkor AF-S G IF-ED VR 300 mm F/2.8G VR IF G ED| AF Fisheye Nikkor 10.5mm f2.8 G ED | Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm|Nikon calls this the AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED | Fotodiox Pro Nikon Large Format 4x5 Adapter Minolta Flash Meter IV and Flash Meter III with various diffusers and a 5 degree spot meter attachment | Bogen 3051 tripod with 3047 HD 3-way head | Manfrotto 679B Monopod | BEIKE BK-45 Gimbal Head Neewer 110CM 43" 5-in-1 Collapsible Multi-Disc Reflectors (2) | Opteka RH-42 Reflector Holders (2) | Paul C Buff 22" Silver Beauty Dish & Diffuser | Photoflex medium and large Multi-Domes | Fotodiox 12"x 80" Strip Boxes with Egg Crates (2) | Shoot & DSLR Kit Wireless Flash Triggers | Zeikos White Balance Card Trio (white, black and 18%) | Calumet 32" and 44" Umbrellas (2 sets) | 5 White Lighting (P.Buff) Ultras with grids | barn doors | light stands | background stand | various seamless papers | Bogen 3085 Boom arms (2) | OCF: Nikon SB800 | Electronic and Manual Cable Releases | Tamarac MXS536801 & MXS536901 Memory/battery management wallets | 8-10 SanDisk CF Cards | Background Projector Box with patterns | HP Laptop (carried to location in camera case) | Calumet Pro Series RC1188 Rolling Camera Case | Cleaning kit | Muslin clamps | Color Gels | USB Cables | Lots of other stuff to keep this list shorter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users