• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 photojazz

photojazz

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19639 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:00 AM

Been reading a lot on backup strategies and as always I come go on orbit here to see what the PNers do. So what steps or methods do you use? Do u use DVDs, second or third hard disks, NAS units or clouds? Do u cleanup all the not so good RAW files and then backup? Thanks PJ

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#2 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5342 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:37 AM

The iMac has Time Machine as standard that backs up the whole system every day to an Apple 2gb Time Capsule (NAS Drive), any changes are recorded and I can scroll back through the histories if I find I've deleted something I shouldn't. Works like a dream.
God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him.

#3 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19639 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:43 AM

Thanks. Is this a whole system backup or just your photos?

PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#4 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 10377 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, nature, photography & travel

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:11 AM

PJ, I save my originals immediately to a separate partition / directory on my PC and also to an external "fixed" 1.5TB drive. I've catagorised my photos under 3 main directories being Originals, Adjusted & Distributed. Each of these contain the 2-letter country codes where I have taken the photos. I then make back-ups on another external drive of everything that has been placed on the "fixed" 1.5TB external drive. I mention the word "fixed" as it's an external drive which slots directly into the top of my PC without additional cables. :)

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#5 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21440 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:12 AM

PJ, I do the same as Robin, Time Machine to an external hard drive. I am going to take it one step further and back up on DVD's. I don't trust Hard Drives at all. I can't tell you much I have lost in the past with burned out drives!
Signature_Line_V4

#6 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19639 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:12 AM

Thanks all.
At present, I am looking through my NEF folders and deleting the ones that are to overexposed, underexposed, blurry or multiple copies of each.
New backup will be started after I have read all my PN comments.Posted Image

PlanetNikon Member 141

Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#7 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5342 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:45 AM

PJ it backs up the entire system so everything is safe. You can get the same sort of software for Windows too. The first time it runs takes ages as there'll be gigs and gigs of info but after that is pretty quick and completely automatic.

#8 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21440 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:21 PM

I forgot to mention, I purge every so often. Soft images, out of focus images, images that don't have any aesthetic value or are ugly etc. etc. I am pretty ruthless when it comes to deleting stuff I will never want to look at. Otherwise, I would be buried in images! I try to keep only the absolute best quality images. And still, I have way too many. Sometimes, it is hard to erase an image that reminds of you something, even if it is bad.
Signature_Line_V4

#9 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5342 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:36 PM

Now that's odd because I never, ever erase a picture I've taken, not even in camera when I'm flicking through them. I've never thrown a negative away, have them all in the loft somewhere, so I think it's just carried over into my digital habits. The image might be poor but it just stays on a drive somewhere.

#10 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19639 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:52 PM

Today, I started to purge my drives 5 of them of totally PJ dislikes or "What The Heck Were U Thinking" shots. 4.5 GB of stuff has been deleted so far.Posted Image

PlanetNikon Member 141

Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#11 Old Dog New Tricks

Old Dog New Tricks

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8358 posts
  • Interests:Scenic & Nature Photography, Travel, Cooking, Kayaking, Grandson and Granddaughter.

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:16 PM

I do a periodic copy to an external harddrive. I have files on my laptop and desktop so I have two different back-up folders. Like Robin, I don't delete anything, I guess its from the old days in the PD, if you delete or throw something away it raises a question about the investigation. OD
Posted Image

"Photography is man's attempt at immortality. To save our memories and share them. The places we have been, the people we have known, the things we have done. To share with others for eternity, or until the images fade away."

Shooting with
Film Nikon N60, N70(2), EM, Mamiya C-330, C-33, RB67
Digital Nikon D7100 D7000, Nikon D200(RIP), Fuji S3Pro(Retired)

#12 Arlon

Arlon

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2759 posts
  • Interests:Just about anything as long as it's outside.

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:40 PM

I delete 75% of my pics, save the originals I like to a pair of 2tb remote drives. I've been looking for a blue ray disc writer lately. I use blue ray disc to store siesmic data on and it seems pretty stable. Slow to write but once written I could store them someplace other than my house. Then again I doubt I have a dozen pictures I'd really give a fip about if the they were all lost.
D50, D90, D100 IR, D700, D800E and a bunch of old manual lenses..
D70 IR (stolen), D200 (stolen)

#13 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15411 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:51 PM

The pics go from camera to hard drive. Played with or not. Then this is copied to an image database sitting on an 2TB external drive, this is the work/backup drive. Then later, it is copied to a 3TB external drive, this is the backup only drive. I do it manually, and at night, so I don't really care how long it takes. I would like to get backup programs to do this. I don't think it will make it faster, but I would like to make it a bit automated in that it checks to see what is changed, than me remembering what needs to be copied. I had one 1TB drive die on me, my fault, and I pretty sure I can get it fixed. But, with the dual backup's, I did not lose a thing. I also have the ability to connect the drives to my wireless system, and then can backup that way, but I would want the backup program to do it, as I would hope there a re check in place to make sure the file got there. I am on windows, but I have not found a backup that can do this... yet.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#14 Peter

Peter

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:14 PM

The pics go from camera to hard drive. Played with or not. Then this is copied to an image database sitting on an 2TB external drive, this is the work/backup drive. Then later, it is copied to a 3TB external drive, this is the backup only drive.

I do it manually, and at night, so I don't really care how long it takes. I would like to get backup programs to do this. I don't think it will make it faster, but I would like to make it a bit automated in that it checks to see what is changed, than me remembering what needs to be copied.

I had one 1TB drive die on me, my fault, and I pretty sure I can get it fixed. But, with the dual backup's, I did not lose a thing. I also have the ability to connect the drives to my wireless system, and then can backup that way, but I would want the backup program to do it, as I would hope there a re check in place to make sure the file got there.

I am on windows, but I have not found a backup that can do this... yet.

Dennis,
Try SnycBack. I have the standard edition. It works very well and it can do complete and differential backups to one or more devices. It can spit out a log so you know if anything did not go well. I have it backup my digital pictures to two locations - an HD on another computer and a local USB connected HD.

Peter

#15 Peter

Peter

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:15 PM

Today, I started to purge my drives 5 of them of totally PJ dislikes or "What The Heck Were U Thinking" shots. 4.5 GB of stuff has been deleted so far.Posted Image

PJ,
Why not backup those files to a DVD? You never know when you might just want to see some of those images. And what does a blank DVD cost? Over here they are about 40 cents a piece last time I bought a spool of 100.

Peter

#16 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19639 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:15 AM

PJ,
Why not backup those files to a DVD? You never know when you might just want to see some of those images. And what does a blank DVD cost? Over here they are about 40 cents a piece last time I bought a spool of 100.

Peter

Peter, these were some bad, terrible..I mean bad pics. The 4 GB of stuff deleted was not only photos, it was other junk as well. Posted Image

PlanetNikon Member 141

Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#17 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19639 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:07 AM

Dennis,
Try SnycBack. I have the standard edition. It works very well and it can do complete and differential backups to one or more devices. It can spit out a log so you know if anything did not go well. I have it backup my digital pictures to two locations - an HD on another computer and a local USB connected HD.

Peter

I just installed it and seems to work fantastically.

PlanetNikon Member 141

Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#18 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15411 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:50 AM

Thanks Peter, I will look into it

Dennis,

Peter

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#19 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3407 posts
  • Interests:I have been blessed to have a wonderful family that permits my activities doing photojournalism.

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:39 AM

My backup procedure Upload all photos to computer hard drive Upload all photos to external RAID setup (2-2TB drives) Process photos on computer and upload to Raid set up Erase all photos from computer HD Upload processed photos to an off site storage resource (It acts like a cloud, but its not) I had a house blow away in a tornado once, so I will always have off-site strorage Important photos from big events get burned.
Sports and photojournalism
http://www.fotofill.net

#20 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19639 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:33 AM

Currently thinking about loading finished pics to both my Skydrive and Adobe Creative Cloud. I tested the cloud, upload and viewing were very quick.

PlanetNikon Member 141

Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users