• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 photojazz

photojazz

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19605 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:52 PM

Just thinking...hmmmmmmm Want, need and love to have this lens. Several PhotoWalkers had these but never used them....any comments, thoughts from my family???

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#2 tlsmith1000

tlsmith1000

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1302 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:18 PM

PJ, I've been wanting the f/2.8 version for a few years now but the cost is prohibitive. Even the Tamron is over $1700 so it doesn't look like it will happen any time soon.
Terry

http://www.flickr.co..._bone_photos/

When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.
- attributed to Mark Twain

#3 chaswes5

chaswes5

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8479 posts
  • Interests:Macs, photoshop, portraits and photographing ordinary life. I enjoy taking candid shots then developing them into something more than a snap shot.

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:02 AM

No doubt top of the line glass is expensive. The 70-200mm is the best lens in my kit. It is as sharp as it gets. It is also heavy. In fact, I am going to use it to day to photograph a vintage Chevy and owner.
Charles Wesley

Nikon D800 and D700 and some lenses. Sony NEX 7 with 18-55 Kit Lens.

“When you photograph people in color, you photograph their clothes. But when you photograph people in Black and white, you photograph their souls!” ― Ted Grant I try never to fool myself that just pointing a camera at something makes it art. Or that snapping the shutter makes me an artist."

Don Giannatti

Gallery:http://wesleyphotography.zenfolio.com/

#4 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 10151 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, flight simulation (Airbus series), nature, photography and travel

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:41 AM

PJ, this IS the lens to have! Just a word of caution... the VRI is not suited for FF, so ONLY consider the VRII edition. Herman

PS. Just noticed that you are considering the f/2.8 & f/4 version.  My comment above relates to the f/2.8!

Edited by Herman, 08 October 2013 - 03:03 AM.

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#5 Gary Worrall

Gary Worrall

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6688 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:20 AM

Hi PJ,

Shuttabugga has recently acquired a new 70-200 2.8 and loves it,

He must be out shooting as I've been unable to contact him but I'm sure he will give some input

- I have a photographic memory but never got it developed -

#6 chaswes5

chaswes5

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 8479 posts
  • Interests:Macs, photoshop, portraits and photographing ordinary life. I enjoy taking candid shots then developing them into something more than a snap shot.

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:06 AM

" Just a word of caution... the VRI is not suited for FF, so ONLY consider the VRII edition." Can you shed some light on this ?
Charles Wesley

“When you photograph people in color, you photograph their clothes. But when you photograph people in Black and white, you photograph their souls!” ― Ted Grant I try never to fool myself that just pointing a camera at something makes it art. Or that snapping the shutter makes me an artist."

Don Giannatti

#7 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 10151 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, flight simulation (Airbus series), nature, photography and travel

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:37 AM

Charles, the VR1 version (which I'm proud owner of) was not designed for full-frame dSLR's. When wide open you will gain a vignette effect. In respect of the later VRII lens this has been addressed to accommodate FF and thus deal with the vignette issue. Herman

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#8 chaswes5

chaswes5

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 8479 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:00 PM

Thank you, Herman. I was unaware.
Charles Wesley

Don Giannatti

#9 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19605 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:42 PM

At B&H today, I was allowed to check out the Nikon 2.8 and 4, Tamron 2.8 and Sigma one as well for overall focusing and handling. Overall the Nikon systems were faster in focus, the F4 was the lighter of all. I was gonna buy one of the cheaper ones but have decided to get the Nikon 2.8 VRII later. Thanks for your remarks.

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users