• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23264 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:51 AM

I have been taking a beating by some(not on the planet) for getting this lens for my D700. One I bought a refurb and paid $225 less than new and it came with 90 day Nikon warranty and the retailer gives an additional 9 months to make it a full year. I figure with the refurb all the bugs have been worked out. Well so far this lens is fast and the VR is excellent and as far as it being soft I do not see it. I have played around and this lens is very sharp, so who has this lens and uses it and what do you think? Here are a few pics they seem to be very sharp to me. Jim PS Even if I get a 24-70 2.8 or 28-70 f2.8 Nikkor I will keep this as it is a perfect size for walking around unlike the other two beasts.

Attached Files

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#2 chaswes5

chaswes5

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8480 posts
  • Interests:Macs, photoshop, portraits and photographing ordinary life. I enjoy taking candid shots then developing them into something more than a snap shot.

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:56 AM

I believe Jon H. uses this lens. BTW, who is the lady in the photo in the background? My guess taken in the 1960s.
Charles Wesley

Nikon D800 and D700 and some lenses. Sony NEX 7 with 18-55 Kit Lens.

“When you photograph people in color, you photograph their clothes. But when you photograph people in Black and white, you photograph their souls!” ― Ted Grant I try never to fool myself that just pointing a camera at something makes it art. Or that snapping the shutter makes me an artist."

Don Giannatti

Gallery:http://wesleyphotography.zenfolio.com/

#3 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23264 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:40 AM

I believe Jon H. uses this lens.

BTW, who is the lady in the photo in the background? My guess taken in the 1960s.

That is my Mom's senior picture I think 1959 or 1960 not sure since she graduated in 1960 but the pic could have been taken in 1959.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#4 chaswes5

chaswes5

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8480 posts
  • Interests:Macs, photoshop, portraits and photographing ordinary life. I enjoy taking candid shots then developing them into something more than a snap shot.

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:58 AM

Thanks Jim, I graduated in 1963 and every girl in my Annual has that hair cut. Is this the Jackie O (or in those days--Jackie Kennedy) style? BTW, your 24-120 does a great job. You do know that the camera operator has a lot to do with the quality of the shot as the lens. Near sayers my not be as agile with their cameras as you are with yours. I know you work a lot and have a full time family and honey dos but try and get out with that D700 more. I, for one, enjoy your work. Charles
Charles Wesley

Nikon D800 and D700 and some lenses. Sony NEX 7 with 18-55 Kit Lens.

“When you photograph people in color, you photograph their clothes. But when you photograph people in Black and white, you photograph their souls!” ― Ted Grant I try never to fool myself that just pointing a camera at something makes it art. Or that snapping the shutter makes me an artist."

Don Giannatti

Gallery:http://wesleyphotography.zenfolio.com/

#5 Dave Whiteley

Dave Whiteley

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6183 posts
  • Interests:Plant, close-up and macrophotography.

Posted 19 February 2010 - 11:09 AM

Lenses vary lens to lens Jim, and reviewers or users seldom have more than one example to try. To generalise about a lens you really need to test 4-5 examples to get an average for the design and this is seldom done by other than the manufacturers. All you can really say is my example is sharp or soft. It also depends what you mean by sharp or soft too. Tested in a laboratory a lens with lower image contrast will often show greater resolution than one with high image contrast, but to the human eye when the image is not under a microscope, or excessively enlarged, the one with the higher image contrast will look sharpest. If you think the lens is great don't worry about others opinions since to you it's your lenses performance that matters, not their lenses performance. If people were criticising your pictures for not being sharp that is a different matter, but as you know that is not always down to the lens. Also we have gone into the lens/camera manufacturing focusing tolerances before. A lens that may be sharp on one camera, if you are very unlucky and the camera and lens focusing tolerances do not cancel each other out, could not focus exactly and be soft on another. I sometimes wonder if some of these disagreements as to a certain lenses sharpness are not due to focusing mismatches between the camera and the lens, rather than a deficiency in the lenses design? Dave Whiteley
Nikon D200
AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70 mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED
60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor
70mm-180mm AF ED f4.5-f5.6 D Micro-Nikkor
Tamron SP AF200-500MM F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF)
Nikon PB6 belows, Nikon Tubes.
2X Nikon SB600 flash guns
Manfrotto dual flash bracket

#6 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6839 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 03:41 PM

Nothing wrong with the 24-120 Jim, I regret 'having to trade' mine to get the 24-70. It would have been a much more sensible lens to take on our Europe trip the extra 50mm reach(and not so heavy) would have been very handy. If you can get a 24-70 without sacrificing your 24-120 it will be good. Peter

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#7 markus5

markus5

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 08:52 AM

Hello Jim I used this lens for about a year, it replaced a very poor 24-85 3.5-4.5 (modern Nikkor quality control...don't get me going on that one!) and helped me get some shots that may have been very tricky without VR. Attached is a shot of the bottom of a Storm Tank, about 150 feet deep, the client wanted to show the swirl that the four pumps could induce in the err... effluent (as you can see 2 pumps working 2 not) The lens really helped as I could show the swirl of the water without camera shake also with decent depth of field. (I was not permitted to use a tripod) D2x 1/10 sec f8 about 100mm and ISO 400 - dark down there! Regards Markus5

#8 DigitalDarrell

DigitalDarrell

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 11:40 AM

I've used this lens (multiple copies) on both film and digital cameras. In a side-by-side comparison with the Nikkor 16-85mm or Nikkor 18-105mm (DX only), the lens is not as sharp. However, I have used it as an event lens for years. The extra reach of the 120mm makes it work very well for reaching across the room to get the shot. It is not wide enough on the DX line, but fine on the FX or film cameras.

I would not use this lens to shoot stock photos, since it is not sharp enough for landscapes or maximum detail. It is a good portrait lens, since you don't want razor sharpness in most portraits. In my bag, it has its place, primarily as a lens for shooting things like weddings, graduations, etc. Fine art, or stock .. no.

Thom Hogan's review is here: http://www.bythom.com/24120ens.htm
Best regards,
Darrell Young (Digital Darrell)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Better too many words than not enough understanding." - Darrell Young
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bodies
: Nikon D810, D800, D750, D600, D2X, COOLPIX A, D100, F80, FM, EM, Olympus OM-D E-M1, Olympus OM-D E-M10
Lenses
: AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G, AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition (for Df), AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G VR (x2), AF-S Nikkor DX 16-85mm f/3.5-4.5G VR, AF Nikkor 80-400 f/4.5-5.6D ED VR, AF Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8, AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, AF-S Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D, AI Nikkor 35mm f/2, AI Nikkor 50mm 5/1.8, AI Nikkor 50mm 5/1.8 Series E, AI Nikkor 105mm f/2.5, AI Nikkor 200mm f/4, Non-AI Nikkor-S 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 10-20mm EX f/3.5-5.6, M.Zuiko 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 lens, M.Zuiko PRO 12-40mm f/2.8 ED
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Accessories:
Nikon SB-910 Speedlight, Nikon SB-900 Speedlight, Nikon GP-1 GPS, Nikon ME-1 Microphone, Eye-Fi Wireless Cards, Atomos Ninja Blade External HDMI Video Recorder, Atomos Ninja-2 External HDMI Video Recorder, Atomos Samurai Blade External Video Recorder, Manfrotto Tripods, Markins M-10 Ballhead, Lots of camera bags, Metz 24 AF-1 Flash, Olympus FL-600R Flash, Olympus HLD-7 Battery Grip
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member of:

Nikon Professional Services (NPS), Professional Photographers of America (PPA), North American Nature Photography Association (NANPA), Founding Member of Nikonians Writers' Guild (www.Nikonians.org), Charter Member (year 2000) of Nikonians.org

#9 Jon H.

Jon H.

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4447 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 01:49 PM

I bought mine after returning from a vacation a couple years back, having rented one for the trip. Big fan of my 24-120, though I must confess, I've since been spoilt by my 24-70, and shoot with it on the D2x 98.754% of the time now. I keep the 24-120 on the D100, and take it when I want to "travel lite." Great all around walkabout lens. I like the little extra reach of the 120. I've never been a pixel peeper, but was very happy with portraiture applications of this lens (which was my primary portrait lens until I got the 24-70). J
Jon Haverstick
Southern CA, USA
Portraiture, Wedding, Product, Stage, Real Estate, Corporate, Annual Report, Sports, Event, Special Projects
Photoshop, Lightroom, and Photography Instruction

Website / Blog / Portfolio: www.jonhaverstickstudio.com
Email: jon@jonhaverstickstudio.com

Founding Photographer: Smiles Across The Miles - "Focusing on the Those Who Serve" Pro bono professional portraiture for military personnel and their families.

Publisher: Senior Portraits, Headshots, Two Hearts:One Love, and With this Ring Magazines: http://magcloud.com/.../jchphotography

Professional Memberships:
  • NAPP (National Association of Photoshop Professionals)
  • WPPI (Wedding and Portrait Photographers International)
  • SPS (Student Photographic Society): Educator
  • Nikon Professional Services

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users