• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4343 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, getting photos of people at their best.

Posted 10 September 2019 - 09:49 PM

Been thinking of something bigger than speedlights for outdoor portraits. Some articles say use HSS while others say regular strobes (like White Lightnings or Einsteins) and ND filters. What have you used that has worked well for you??
Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#2 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21961 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:26 AM

Godox Flashpoint 600 TTL for Nikon.

Killer light! Lots of horsepower.  Love their studio lights.  It has worked phenomenally for me.  I have made a number of posts on PN with the results.

Signature_Line_V4

#3 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7956 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 11 September 2019 - 10:42 AM

Don, I'm using a pair of Godox SK-300 strobes with soft-boxes, almost exclusively for Project 52 studio assignments.  While those assignments push my creativity boundaries, I can add up the number of "portrait" assignments on one hand.

I'm not sure what I would recommend for outdoor portraits.  For Project 52 assignments that have been outdoors, I've used ambient light and reflector cards; or a 5-in-1 diffuser.  Of course, if you use a strobe outdoors, then you have to consider a power source for it.  At that point, it all comes down to how much gear you want to lug around.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#4 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15766 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:37 PM

I use Einsteins with their power pack outdoors. I have the remote bits using pock wizard. I built this a while ago, hence the pocket wizard. The Einsteins is great and has the HSS. If I have to do it today, I might go with the godex clones (ad600) of the prophoto B1's. See here for a comparision; https://petapixel.co...100-profoto-b1/

You should go wireless, you don't want wires outside. I use the Paull buff vagabond power pack, and attach it to the light stand for added weight. I control the power from the camera, just like using Nikon speedlights. I went with this strobe as it cost less to buy multiple speedlight for one light source, think over powering the sun. I have a second alienbees 800 if I need a second light, also powered with the same vagabond. 

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#5 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1425 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 12 September 2019 - 04:13 PM

I use the Sun  :D

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#6 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • 4343 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:26 PM

I use the Sun  :D

Interesting point, that...  With overhead sun at 2:00PM, my subjects get raccoon eyes unless I use an eye-level (roughly) light source.  Do you use a reflector to overcome this?  How about an overhead scrim?  I saw a Lindsay Adler video that promoted the use of a 72" shoot-thru umbrella as a scrim.

Don
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#7 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • 4343 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:31 PM

I use Einsteins with their power pack outdoors. I have the remote bits using pock wizard. I built this a while ago, hence the pocket wizard. The Einsteins is great and has the HSS. If I have to do it today, I might go with the godex clones (ad600) of the prophoto B1's. See here for a comparision; https://petapixel.co...100-profoto-b1/

You should go wireless, you don't want wires outside. I use the Paull buff vagabond power pack, and attach it to the light stand for added weight. I control the power from the camera, just like using Nikon speedlights. I went with this strobe as it cost less to buy multiple speedlight for one light source, think over powering the sun. I have a second alienbees 800 if I need a second light, also powered with the same vagabond. 

I seriously like the Einsteins and the White Lightnings (the Alien Bees have too many horror stories about frying themselves).  However, I was under the impression that HSS was not available on these.  The Einsteins have the fast flash duration mode, but I was not aware of HSS.  I want to shoot between f/1.8 and f/3.2 in midday sun at 1/1250th sec to 1/4000th sec and not get banding from the shutter curtains.  Without HSS, the best way to do this is to use a 5 or 6-stop ND filter to bring the shutter speed down to 1/200 or slower, but then you use more strobe power and have a harder time focusing (though I could use live-view for the focusing part).  Thoughts???

Don

#8 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15766 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:38 AM

Since I'm using pocket wizard, I use the "hypersync". Not easy to set up.

If you want HSS without ND for Nikon, then go with the AD600/B1. As I mentioned, if I was doing it today, I would go with that. I believe, now, there is a lot of folks using the AD600 over the B1 due to cost and getting great results. The comments about color shift isn't a real issue as you can shoot in raw. I also have the xrite color checker passport when I need to make sure the color is right.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#9 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1425 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 13 September 2019 - 05:06 PM

Interesting point, that...  With overhead sun at 2:00PM, my subjects get raccoon eyes unless I use an eye-level (roughly) light source.  Do you use a reflector to overcome this?  How about an overhead scrim?  I saw a Lindsay Adler video that promoted the use of a 72" shoot-thru umbrella as a scrim.

I'm just a complete minimalist, I use natural sun to my advantage when I'm able to do so

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users