Photo

D800 Acquisition Poll

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Poll: D800 Acquisition Poll (24 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your status on the acquisition of a D800:

1. I currently own one (4 votes [16.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

2. I currently plan to buy one in the next 6 months (3 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

3. I would like to own one and may get a D800 used at some point (3 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

4. I have no intentions of buying one right now (14 votes [58.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 58.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19358 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:46 PM

Always wanted to try this, so this is my first poll. I am curious to see how many members own a D800 or plan to get one or not. Thanks in advance for participating and for sharing your thoughts.

Attached Files

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#2 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19279 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:23 AM

Excellento...Posted Image

I voted and six months is the approx purchase time. I still have several things ahead of the Dynomite 800er b4 it becomes a part of PJ's super camera team.

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

Member of the following organizations:

American Society of Media Professionals

Fairmount Photo Club

NYI PhotoWorld Magazine

Photographic Society of Philadelphia

Philadelphia Photo League (PPL)

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!
New website coming soon!

#3 chaswes5

chaswes5

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8386 posts
  • Interests:Macs, photoshop, portraits and photographing ordinary life. I enjoy taking candid shots then developing them into something more than a snap shot.

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:45 AM

Me--about this time next year--still loving the D700. I do look forward to getting a D800e. I am now in the process of saving up for at least half of the asking price.
Charles Wesley

Nikon D800 and D700 and some lenses. Sony NEX 7 with 18-55 Kit Lens.

“When you photograph people in color, you photograph their clothes. But when you photograph people in Black and white, you photograph their souls!” ― Ted Grant I try never to fool myself that just pointing a camera at something makes it art. Or that snapping the shutter makes me an artist."

Don Giannatti

Gallery:http://wesleyphotography.zenfolio.com/

#4 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 14253 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:53 AM

I was planing on a D700 being my last body, but I had to settle on the D4 as the last body. B)

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group

Nikon D4, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#5 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4068 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, travelogues, aircraft photography.

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:39 AM

A tad too rich for my blood at this point. Plus, after reading Fotofill's comments on the D7000, I'd rather stay with DX and get the action performance of the D7000 as I shoot a fair amount of action. Don
Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#6 D50Michael

D50Michael

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Interests:Photography And Trout Fishing

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:25 AM

Nope.....Ken Rockwell says the D50 is better. :lol:
Michael

Nikon D200 w/ MB-D200 Grip
Nikon Lenses: 35mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8, 60mm Macro,
16-85 mm vr zoom, 70-300mm vr zoom
SB 600 flash, manf. 190 xpro w/Markins Ballhead

#7 Herman

Herman

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 9762 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, flight simulation, nature, photography and travel

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:36 AM

I'm still extremely happy with my D300 and therefore do not see myself upgrading in the foreseable future. :)

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#8 Mr Gladstone

Mr Gladstone

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  • Interests:Picture Framing. Digital Photography. Music. Walking.

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:41 PM

Short of a lottery win there is pretty much no way I will be investing in a D800 anytime soon. I am pretty entrenched in the DX format and actually I'm really happy with my output at the moment. My humble D5000 does me well! In a sadistic way I kinda like the limitations that lower end bodies have. Being able to pump ISO to the point where large apertures/ slow shutters are not neccessary would take some of the magic out of it for me I think. That said, if somebody gave me a D800 tomorrow then I'm sure I would have alot of fun with it!
Tom.
Nikon D7000.
Nikkor 35mm f1.8 G.
Nikkor 80 - 200 f4 AI-S
Nikkor 85mm f3.5 Micro VR
Sigma 10-20 f4

My Website

#9 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19279 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:07 PM

I'm still extremely happy with my D300 and therefore do not see myself upgrading in the foreseable future.

:)

:D To be honest I feel the same way.....but...but..:unsure:

PlanetNikon Member 141

Fairmount Photo Club

NYI PhotoWorld Magazine

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Bronica ETRSI

And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!
New website coming soon!

#10 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 22447 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:52 PM

The D700 does everything I need and more. I do not really want to deal with such large files but the D800 is one fantastic machine. If I was to upgrade and money was an issue(as it is in reality) the D3s would be my first choice and if money was no object the D4 is tops. But I do more sports and low light photography so the D3s being an upgrad to the D700 in speed and about one to one and half stops better for high ISO performance is really more realistic especially since used prices are falling so I am trying to plan a 7 to 8 month saving plan to buy one. Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

D700 w/MB-D10, D605 w/MB-D14, D200 w/MB-D200, D50, Coolpix P330.

Nikon 1 stuff: Nikon V1, Nikkor 10mm f2.8 pancake w/HN-N101 & HC-N101, Nikkor 10-30mm f3.5-5.6 w/HB-N101 Aspherical VR,, Nikkor 18.5mm f1.8 w/HB-N104, Nikon 1 FT-1, SB-N5 w/Polaroid Diffuser .

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D, Nikkor 18-35 f3.5-4.5 AF-D ED.

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG HSM, Tamron's SP 70-200 f2.8 LD Di IF/Macro BIM, Kenko Pro 300 1.4 TC DGX, Tokina 100 f2.8D Macro At-X.

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#11 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19279 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:01 AM

Hmmmmm, D3..Hmmmmm Posted Image

PlanetNikon Member 141

Fairmount Photo Club

NYI PhotoWorld Magazine

Bronica ETRSI

And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!
New website coming soon!

#12 Herman

Herman

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 9762 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, flight simulation, nature, photography and travel

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:01 AM

Hmmmmm, D3..Hmmmmm Posted Image

Worth thinking about... PJ!

:rolleyes:

#13 Gary Worrall

Gary Worrall

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6688 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:14 AM

Hi Art, I just need longer arms or longer glass, 500 f4 is the current dream Regards, Gary

- I have a photographic memory but never got it developed -

#14 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19279 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:53 AM

Worth thinking about... PJ!

:rolleyes:

Right u are. Ideally it would be Dynomite D800 for my Fasnet, People and Band photoshoots. The Deadly and Dynamite D3 for soccer and high school football shoots.Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image Will be constantly thinking until the rest of the "Must Buy First List" is done. But remember, Da 50 will never leave..No Way, No Chance.Posted Image

PlanetNikon Member 141

Fairmount Photo Club

NYI PhotoWorld Magazine

Bronica ETRSI

And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!
New website coming soon!

#15 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5268 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:44 PM

If you haven't already guessed then I'll reaffirm the fact that I don't like the D800. Frankly I thing the pixel count is not only pointless but actually detrimental to the overal quality that could have been achieved if Nikon were sensible (like Canon have been with the 5D MkIII) and kept it in the low to mid twenties. Think about it: How many people need 36 million pixels? I mean actually need them - not so they can just get all doey eyed at being able to hit the 100% button.How many people would benefit from a greater range of useable ISO's?How many people would benefit from greater speed?How many would prefer colours that held across an extended ISO range without them being squandered in a desperate attempt to sort out noise? The latter three are likely greater on the own and definitely greater as a sum. Now ask how many people can afford a D4 because that is the camera that people actually need and want but it has a barmy price tag. Nikon should have followed the path set by the D3/D700 and kept the sensors the same - or at the very least close - and let those who can't justify a mad price tag still get the image performance.

Never marry someone until you've heard them step on Lego

Instagram

#16 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19358 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:25 PM

Think about it:
How many people need 36 million pixels? I mean actually need them - not so they can just get all doey eyed at being able to hit the 100% button.How many people would benefit from a greater range of useable ISO's?How many people would benefit from greater speed? How many would prefer colours that held across an extended ISO range without them being squandered in a desperate attempt to sort out noise?

The latter three are likely greater on the own and definitely greater as a sum. Now ask how many people can afford a D4 because that is the camera that people actually need and want but it has a barmy price tag. Nikon should have followed the path set by the D3/D700 and kept the sensors the same - or at the very least close - and let those who can't justify a mad price tag still get the image performance.

Please Note: I purposely left the image big to show IQ. Hope it is not too much of a bother.

Robin,

I agree with some of what you have said.

The price of the D4 took it right out of contention for me. It was never a possible consideration because it is simply out of reach and justifying the expense wasn't there. There are many features on the D4 I much prefer.

In regards to the 36m pixels, I don't need it, but I like the image quality. I really like the extended cropping ability it gives you to save a mediocre picture into something you want to print! I have attached a series of samples below on one image I took just to show you what detail you can get from a photo. Cropping is a dream! If you happen to catch a full frame image that is nicely composed, look out, the resolution is stunning.

Attached File  D800-BC-Night-Heron-(5).jpg   198.24KB   1 downloads

The samples below go from 150% down to 25% just to show you the details of the resolution power of the D800. I could never do this, to this extent, with the D90.

Attached File  150.jpg   442.79KB   0 downloads

Attached File  100.jpg   522.13KB   0 downloads

Attached File  75.jpg   449.14KB   0 downloads

Attached File  50.jpg   449.42KB   0 downloads

Attached File  25.jpg   527.47KB   0 downloads

The down side is, it is eating up my storage capacity faster than a school of Pirranha can dilacerate a cow! In regards to ISO, I have yet to find a need for anything higher than 1250 ISO. I shot an image at ISO 2000, just to try it but again, I am hard pressed to find a need. Especially, with a nice built in flash and the SB-910 I have. Now, this is me, I am sure there is a need or the camera companies would push ISO to the high levels of the pro models.

Noise? See the image below, it is at about 40% crop. I have posted it before. I don't find it that bad.

Attached File  D800-Female-Cardinal.jpg   143.22KB   0 downloads

This is the image at 100%. Basically, a boring, poorly exposed and poorly composed image. I was happy to get the crop from it!

Attached File  Cardinal100%.jpg   1.67MB   0 downloads

Overall, the camera is feature rich and well thought out (at least I think it is coming from the D90). I have never been happier with a new "toy". The only thing I can honestly say sucks about the D800 is the fact you can only get 4 fps on it under optimal conditions. This is piss-poor in my opinion for a $3K camera. Nikon pooched on this one. To add insult to injury, you have to spend another $600 to get an extra frame out of it. No thanks. This is the only thing I find disappointing in the D800.

The hi-res video feature is something. I have not used it yet, but it rounds out the total package. I actually look forward to trying it when I get over the "OH, this is too good an image to switch to video" problem I have! :)

I contend, at the $3K price range, this camera is the Multi-Media Dream Machine.

Shot this in the rain today, standing under an umbrella, as I was determined to go out and get some images in spite of the weather! 60% crop! 400ISO

Attached File  Egret-on-Rock.jpg   996.71KB   0 downloads

Edited by Art, 09 August 2012 - 10:06 PM.

#17 Herman

Herman

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 9762 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:08 AM

Wow, wow, wow! Excellente!!! Art, that "Multi-Media Dream Machine" of yours, is doing you justice... I can imagine the static photo vs video thing and that's why I've never been (and still not) in favour of video on a dSLR. Perhaps I'm too conservative but I see them as two totally different activities! Enjoy! :)

#18 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19358 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:53 AM

Thanks, Herman. I am still sitting on the fence on the video. I am simply pumped to try it in 1080p just to see what the heck it can do. But, I have been out a number of times now and each time, I have said to myself.... switch to video, but I didn't want to miss snapping a photo. The most dramatic video would be of the Egret flying, but I am also more enthralled with trying to take a bird in flight! The conflict is huge and I have yet to do a video. We plan on doing an African Wild Safari (not in Africa, but an entertainment park with African animals in the "wild" so to speak. You drive in and leave your car at your own risk!!! :lol: , the animals are all free on the "preserve, if you can call it that.) next week. May try the video then. Not sure. I will post what I do manage to get.

#19 Glenn

Glenn

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Tennis and Photogrpahy

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:27 AM

Great sample images of the D800 Art.

Regards,

Glenn
D3s, D800E, D7000 and some mixed lenses
Flickr: http://www.flickr.co...s/24917880@N02/
"You can never have too many lenses" - B and H Photo.

#20 winclk

winclk

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1697 posts
  • Interests:Photography and Grandkids

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:54 AM

Wow Art. Your photos almost make me wish that I had bought the D800 when my name came up on the waiting list that I was on. :)
Robin

Amateur Photographer--Hoping to upgrade my status one day

#21 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6081 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:49 PM

While I really like the idea of gradually upgrading from DX to FX, the D800 is too much camera for my needs. I'll see what the D600 looks like; barring that wait to see if D400 rumours ever pan out. BTW, those who are thinking about a D300 or D700 may be waiting for awhile. My LCS says that D700's are no longer available in Canada, and that D300's are only by special order. Further, the pickings on Craig's List were pretty slim.
Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#22 Old Dog New Tricks

Old Dog New Tricks

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 8205 posts
  • Interests:Scenic & Nature Photography, Travel, Cooking, Kayaking, Grandson and Granddaughter.

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:22 PM

I would eventually like to get one, but am currently quite happy with my D7K. Cliff
Posted Image

"Photography is man's attempt at immortality. To save our memories and share them. The places we have been, the people we have known, the things we have done. To share with others for eternity, or until the images fade away."

Shooting with
Film Nikon N60, N70(2), EM, Mamiya C-330, C-33, RB67
Digital Nikon D7100 D7000, Nikon D200(RIP), Fuji S3Pro(Retired)

#23 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19279 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:42 PM

After reading about that giant Burmese Python in the Everglades National Park, I placed a bazooka ahead of the Dynomite D800 for our trip there next year..Posted Image

PlanetNikon Member 141

Fairmount Photo Club

NYI PhotoWorld Magazine

Bronica ETRSI

And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!
New website coming soon!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users