14 replies to this topic

#1 Darylb23

Darylb23

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:23 AM

So as I'm working on getting into photography, I'm looking at what I want to use for processing.  I love the look of Lightroom but not a fan of subscription services so that is likely out at least for now.  I've used Picasa and the photo app on my iPhone/iPad as far as experience is concerned.

So as I'm looking at what's available, I'm not seeing much good about the Capture NX-D but most of the threads that talk about it are old.  Have there been improvements or is it still too limited? 

I probably don't need Photoshop level stuff but I'd want to do the normal exposure/color adjustments but would also like to have masking features (not sure if that is the right term but where you can remove a piece of trash from grass for example).  I'd also like to explore HDR where you take 3-5 photos of different exposures and put them together.  And I've been watching videos where they take long exposure shots without and ND filter by taking multiple shots and stacking them on top of each other.  Not sure what that is called either but it looks interesting.

I've looked briefly, just on youtube, at Photoscape and Rawtherapee and I know Gimp exists.  Am I looking in the right direction or is there something else I need to consider?  I'm not professional and don't think I'll ever be but I'd love to be good at this.  I don't want something too terribly hard to use but I know it may be ridiculously simple and still have some power.  

#2 Herman

Herman

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10316 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, flight simulation (Airbus 3x series), nature, photography and travel

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:47 AM

Daryl, I'm using Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 which is suplemented with the free Google NIK Software Suite plug-ins (includes a HDR module). I'm also no fan of software on a subscription basis.

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#3 winclk

winclk

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1894 posts
  • Interests:Photography and Grandkids

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:22 AM

Daryl, I also like Adobe Photoshop Elements...has everything a newbie could want and need..Not as over welling as the full version. :)

Robin

Amateur Photographer--Hoping to upgrade my status one day

#4 Darylb23

Darylb23

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:42 PM

Thanks guys.  So Elements isn't a subscription?  I've certainly heard a lot about it over the years so that is a good option for sure. 

#5 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4260 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, getting photos of people at their best.

Posted 14 February 2018 - 03:43 PM

Nope Elements is not subscription. I cut my teeth on Photoshop a long time ago, so the LR/PS makes a lot of sense as there are things like Select Color Range that I dont think are in Elements.
Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#6 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23578 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:41 PM

One try ViewNX-I it will allow you to import and do basic editing on your Nikon RAW files. It is very basic but easy to use and free. The reason NX-D is roundly trounced is most of use used CNX-2 which was a fantastic editor and Nikon killed it off and replaced it with NX-D so it was a major step down and it is not very intuitive to be honest. But again like ViewNX-I it is free so you should at least give it a try.

I have used ViewNX-I it will do most of your basic stuff and it will read all your in camera data, combine that with Photoshop Elements for heavy editing and you will have a good starting point.

Jim

Link to ViewNX-I

https://www.nikonusa...e/viewnx-i.html

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#7 Old Dog New Tricks

Old Dog New Tricks

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8337 posts
  • Interests:Scenic & Nature Photography, Travel, Cooking, Kayaking, Grandson and Granddaughter.

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:19 PM

I have used LR since it was in beta.  I used to buy it and then upgrade.  The subscription system makes more sense to me.  It also gives me PS, which has become a bigger part of my workflow.  I shoot a lot of pictures at a time chasing the birds so LR gives me some short cuts that really help me process and manage my work.

Posted Image

"Photography is man's attempt at immortality. To save our memories and share them. The places we have been, the people we have known, the things we have done. To share with others for eternity, or until the images fade away."

Shooting with
Film Nikon N60, N70(2), EM, Mamiya C-330, C-33, RB67
Digital Nikon D7100 D7000, Nikon D200(RIP), Fuji S3Pro(Retired)

#8 Darylb23

Darylb23

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 07:27 AM

I have used ViewNX-I it will do most of your basic stuff and it will read all your in camera data, combine that with Photoshop Elements for heavy editing and you will have a good starting point.

Jim

Link to ViewNX-I

https://www.nikonusa...e/viewnx-i.html

Thanks Jim.  And forgive my ignorance but if I were to make adjustments to the raw file in View for example and then do heavier edits in something else, am I still working with a raw file or does it convert to jpeg before it goes to Elements?  Just trying to get my head around the process.  In my head I think I'd like one program to do anything I would want but not sure if what is in my head is what is in real life.  

#9 Old Dog New Tricks

Old Dog New Tricks

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8337 posts
  • Interests:Scenic & Nature Photography, Travel, Cooking, Kayaking, Grandson and Granddaughter.

Posted 15 February 2018 - 07:45 AM

I"m not trying to push LR over Elements, but this is how LR works.  As you make adjustments to the image the changes are recorded to a separate file called side car.  The RAW file is never changed. The side car and RAW combined is what you see on the screen. If you want to save the adjusted file you export it as a Jpeg or TIFF.  Files can be processed and exported in batches/ Nice thing is that you can go back and do another treatment, convert to B&W, etc.  You can print from LR without exporting. 

Posted Image

"Photography is man's attempt at immortality. To save our memories and share them. The places we have been, the people we have known, the things we have done. To share with others for eternity, or until the images fade away."

Shooting with
Film Nikon N60, N70(2), EM, Mamiya C-330, C-33, RB67
Digital Nikon D7100 D7000, Nikon D200(RIP), Fuji S3Pro(Retired)

#10 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21204 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 15 February 2018 - 09:53 AM

Daryl,

Capture NX-D is a Dog's Breakfast.  Hence, the "D". It is free, it is awful and .... what else can I tell you. 

Depending on the computer you have, Capture NX-2 is still a viable program, but not supported.  In my opinion, it is better than Adobe ANYTHING.  I know the guys here like LR.... NX-2 is still head and shoulders above it.  If you can wait, DxO will at some point upgrade DxO PhotoLab and that may be the product to go to.  What these two products have in common is CODE from NIK Creative SUITE.  .... a feature called U-POINT.  I haven't seen nor used anything as good as this.

In Capture NX-2, you do NOT have side cars.  I find this a RUBBISH piece of code you have to store that references your EDITS.  In Capture NX-2, there is no side car, the edits are stored and remembered in the file.  Your edits are NON DESTRUCTIVE and can be easily reversed! Elegant coding and, bonus, follows the Apple Toolbox guidelines.

Capture NX-2 is a DEAD, unsupported product, but you can still buy it.  I am praying DxO cuts a deal with Nikon and revives it.... Never say never!  If it is compatible with what you are using, go for it.  $200 or there about and you can probably pick up a used one for much less.  Check first.

I will not wax poetic on MAC's, but if you own one, you will suffer mountains of frustration with Software Developers who REFUSE to use the Apple toolbox..... MacPhun is just an example of one such developer who "thinks" they know a better way.  Their program is good, their interface BLOWS! 

I will give the floor to others now....

Signature_Line_V4

#11 Darylb23

Darylb23

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 10:16 AM

Daryl,

Capture NX-D is a Dog's Breakfast.  

I don't know what software I will use but I'll be using this phrase the rest of the day for sure.  Co-workers are going to get tired of that one fast!!

• Art likes this

#12 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23578 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 15 February 2018 - 03:30 PM

I might have to check but I am pretty sure you can export a TIFF file from View to Elements  a TIFF file is like a raw file but your edits in View can be seen in Elements. But you can also export a JPEG to work on in Elements and your RAW file is still good to go in View.

I use LR and I like it but like you I am not a fan of subscriptions I ended up paying for a complete year. If you ever decided to switch and not pay the monthly/yearly price you have to keep the program on your computer to see your work done in LR unless you convert to a JPEG or TIFF file. Since you no longer subscribe you can not edit anymore all you can do is view and export.

I have to be honest I do not like NX-D but it is free so maybe you should give it a try you might like it and it gives you a place to start.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#13 Darylb23

Darylb23

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 07:39 AM

I gave Photoscape X a try this weekend.  I had to take some pictures of my house and needed something so I gave it a shot.  I like it so far but didn't do much more than some cropping, exposure and color adjustment, and a few other minor tweaks.  So far I like the layout.  I'll figure out what else it can do over time but it seems like a good place to start.

#14 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4260 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, getting photos of people at their best.

Posted 19 February 2018 - 10:18 AM

One thing about PS & PSE there are tutorials online for just about EVERYTHING. I just watched one on how to use Blend-if which allows you to do some things that are more difficult to nearly impossible with more conventional tools.

Also, you can get the PSE/Premiere Elements bundle for about 30 extra bucks and do video editing.
Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#15 Darylb23

Darylb23

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 10:19 AM

Also, you can get the PSE/Premiere Elements bundle for about 30 extra bucks and do video editing.

Definitely worth looking into that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users