• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Competitive Target Shooting, Field Target - Rifle, PFT - Pistol Field Target, Indoor Silhouette, Cooking, Adult AirGuns, Computers, Martial Arts.

Posted 12 November 2014 - 08:44 PM

what insurance policies are you all carrying? Wanting to move who I'm with, and want to find a insurer that isn't going to be problematic .

SOME OF WHAT'S In MY GEAR BAGS

(1) Nikon D4 body fitted with leather grip (2) D3s bodies fitted with leather grips
Mamiya 645 with Lenses| Bellows | glass filters
Cambo Legend 4"x5" kit (Lenses | bag bellows | loupe | Sheet film holders..etc.)
Sony HVR-Z7U HDV Camcorder & DCR-DVD D650 HandyCam (just in case)

Nikon Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 f2.8 AF-S G ED VR Nikon Nikkor AF-S G IF-ED VR 300 mm F/2.8G VR IF G ED| AF Fisheye Nikkor 10.5mm f2.8 G ED | Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm|Nikon calls this the AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED | Fotodiox Pro Nikon Large Format 4x5 Adapter Minolta Flash Meter IV and Flash Meter III with various diffusers and a 5 degree spot meter attachment | Bogen 3051 tripod with 3047 HD 3-way head | Manfrotto 679B Monopod | BEIKE BK-45 Gimbal Head Neewer 110CM 43" 5-in-1 Collapsible Multi-Disc Reflectors (2) | Opteka RH-42 Reflector Holders (2) | Paul C Buff 22" Silver Beauty Dish & Diffuser | Photoflex medium and large Multi-Domes | Fotodiox 12"x 80" Strip Boxes with Egg Crates (2) | Shoot & DSLR Kit Wireless Flash Triggers | Zeikos White Balance Card Trio (white, black and 18%) | Calumet 32" and 44" Umbrellas (2 sets) | 5 White Lighting (P.Buff) Ultras with grids | barn doors | light stands | background stand | various seamless papers | Bogen 3085 Boom arms (2) | OCF: Nikon SB800 | Electronic and Manual Cable Releases | Tamarac MXS536801 & MXS536901 Memory/battery management wallets | 8-10 SanDisk CF Cards | Background Projector Box with patterns | HP Laptop (carried to location in camera case) | Calumet Pro Series RC1188 Rolling Camera Case | Cleaning kit | Muslin clamps | Color Gels | USB Cables | Lots of other stuff to keep this list shorter

#2 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3345 posts
  • Interests:I have been blessed to have a wonderful family that permits my activities doing photojournalism.

Posted 13 November 2014 - 01:40 AM

State Farm will NOT insure freelance photographers. You can get a drop and dent policy through professional organizations. Homeowners usually will cover theft, but not damage done by you. 

Sports and photojournalism
http://www.fotofill.net

#3 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23383 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 13 November 2014 - 01:53 AM

Staefarm insures me(my camera gear that is) and I am a freelance photog essentially.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#4 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Competitive Target Shooting, Field Target - Rifle, PFT - Pistol Field Target, Indoor Silhouette, Cooking, Adult AirGuns, Computers, Martial Arts.

Posted 13 November 2014 - 04:09 AM

State Farm will NOT insure freelance photographers. You can get a drop and dent policy through professional organizations. Homeowners usually will cover theft, but not damage done by you. 

Yeah photo I hear you there. I wasn't looking to cover a lens for $5000.00, and get our house and cars dropped for sure because something happen to it! Funny part is that some insurance companies will try to entice you into a policy covering things like cameras and guns. My research so far says the PPA,  or RAND, through say the North American Nature Photography Association (NANPA). I figure some of you already know how this process works and so I can find out the pros and cons. before picking someone.

(1) Nikon D4 body fitted with leather grip (2) D3s bodies fitted with leather grips
Cambo Legend 4"x5" kit (Lenses | bag bellows | loupe | Sheet film holders..etc.)

Nikon Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 f2.8 AF-S G ED VR Nikon Nikkor AF-S G IF-ED VR 300 mm F/2.8G VR IF G ED| AF Fisheye Nikkor 10.5mm f2.8 G ED | Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm|Nikon calls this the AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED | Fotodiox Pro Nikon Large Format 4x5 Adapter Minolta Flash Meter IV and Flash Meter III with various diffusers and a 5 degree spot meter attachment | Bogen 3051 tripod with 3047 HD 3-way head | Manfrotto 679B Monopod | BEIKE BK-45 Gimbal Head Neewer 110CM 43" 5-in-1 Collapsible Multi-Disc Reflectors (2) | Opteka RH-42 Reflector Holders (2) | Paul C Buff 22" Silver Beauty Dish & Diffuser | Photoflex medium and large Multi-Domes | Fotodiox 12"x 80" Strip Boxes with Egg Crates (2) | Shoot & DSLR Kit Wireless Flash Triggers | Zeikos White Balance Card Trio (white, black and 18%) | Calumet 32" and 44" Umbrellas (2 sets) | 5 White Lighting (P.Buff) Ultras with grids | barn doors | light stands | background stand | various seamless papers | Bogen 3085 Boom arms (2) | OCF: Nikon SB800 | Electronic and Manual Cable Releases | Tamarac MXS536801 & MXS536901 Memory/battery management wallets | 8-10 SanDisk CF Cards | Background Projector Box with patterns | HP Laptop (carried to location in camera case) | Calumet Pro Series RC1188 Rolling Camera Case | Cleaning kit | Muslin clamps | Color Gels | USB Cables | Lots of other stuff to keep this list shorter

#5 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 04:12 AM

Staefarm insures me(my camera gear that is) and I am a freelance photog essentially.

Jim

Hey James,

I'm trying to get away from that. Allstate offers coverage too, but I dont want them dropping our house and cars because I have a claim. So I'm looking to see what other options work and how guys like what they have.

Thanks for the info...

#6 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23383 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 13 November 2014 - 07:14 AM

Got Ya, I have State Farm for life and camera my car and renters is USAA.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#7 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15015 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 13 November 2014 - 09:31 AM

I have Allstate, and I have added a ryder to our normal policy to cover the camera, jewelry and the like. However, none of these (even though I pay extra) will cover commercial use. As long as I'm not a business, it is cover. Not covered if I'm business, so I run the risk of dropping my camera and not getting coverage for it.

I have been looking at the same ones as you from PPA and NANPA. ASMP (American Society of media Photographers) is also another one I was looking at. their web site has lots of great information for free, that I wonder what more can be in the members only.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#8 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:22 AM

Got Ya, I have State Farm for life and camera my car and renters is USAA.

Jim

Hey again Jim,

All state has been sending me info on adding ryders for furs, cameras..etc.But like I said earlier a claim on one lens and what it cost could have them going "Hmmmm mm we paying this guy/gal 12,000.00 for a camera and lens?" Then next should we drop their coverage?..lol. Not sure if I really want to know that answer.

#9 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:25 AM

I have Allstate, and I have added a ryder to our normal policy to cover the camera, jewelry and the like. However, none of these (even though I pay extra) will cover commercial use. As long as I'm not a business, it is cover. Not covered if I'm business, so I run the risk of dropping my camera and not getting coverage for it.

I have been looking at the same ones as you from PPA and NANPA. ASMP (American Society of media Photographers) is also another one I was looking at. their web site has lots of great information for free, that I wonder what more can be in the members only.

Hi Dennis,

I'm hoping someone with one of those organizations chimes in soon. Heeey I wonder if Planet can get a group rate? That would be cool..

#10 Ron W

Ron W

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7002 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 08:50 PM

I had Rand through NANPA for several years. It's expensive. As I recall, it cost me about $1000.00 to insure $35,000.00 worth of gear with $500.00 deductible. I submitted one claim when my 24-70 lens rolled off a table. They paid right away after I got a quote for repairs from Nikon. Membership in NANPA is required.

www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

#11 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:13 PM

I had Rand through NANPA for several years. It's expensive. As I recall, it cost me about $1000.00 to insure $35,000.00 worth of gear with $500.00 deductible. I submitted one claim when my 24-70 lens rolled off a table. They paid right away after I got a quote for repairs from Nikon. Membership in NANPA is required.

Heey Ron,

You know I was kind of thinking their price point might be up there a bit. Who do you use now or do you still have Rand?

#12 Ron W

Ron W

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7002 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:51 AM

I dropped Rand this year. The Rand policy is underwritten by Chubb. I don't have any insurance on my photo gear now, I figure I paid Rand close to $7000.00 over the period that I was insured by them and recouped somewhere in the vicinity of $400.00 on the 24-70 repair claim. It seems that the policy premium went up about $100.00 per year.I am acquainted with  2 people who had large claims and Rand paid quickly. One fellow had a D4 and a brand new 2.8 400mm that slid out of the tripod head onto the asphalt, totaling both, and another who dropped a 600 lens into the saltwater.

www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users