#1 winclk

winclk

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1807 posts
  • Interests:Photography and Grandkids

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:59 AM

http://smu.gs/14UrXtQ I just setup a smugmug account to sell my prints. I uploaded my photos to my site and I noticed that all the sizes that my client is choosing to buy, all had to be cropped. The crops are not the best for my prints. What sizes should I use to upload that require the least amount of cropping? Any other advice on how to upload better, I would greatly appreciate.
Robin

Amateur Photographer--Hoping to upgrade my status one day

#2 Dennis

Dennis

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15015 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:04 AM

What size are they choosing? And, because I forget, what camera (DX or FX) are you using? Lets say, FX, for example, that would be a 8x12 ratio. So, 4x6/16x24 or any that will fit that ratio will not need to be cropped. 5x7 is an odd size (long, skinny where the crop will hit the sides more). Just like 11x14 will need a crop. 8x10 is also a rectangle in the 4x5 ratio, that will crop the most. One way is to shoot for 8x10 (by leaving space) and the other two will work themselves out. Lightroom has an option to show you how it will get cropped with the different sizes.

Edited by Dennis, 09 July 2013 - 10:14 AM.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#3 winclk

winclk

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1807 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:02 AM

Thank you Dennis. I have D800.. I will wait and see which ones she orders and then change the crop so that it fits the photo better. Will keep this in mind for my future uploads.
Robin

#4 Donna

Donna

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2410 posts
  • Interests:Photography, gardening, reading, knitting, cooking/baking, exploration with my family..

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:52 PM

Checked out your photo's. I really like RMB2658, top row, far right corner shot, page 1. Very nice!
I'm shooting with the D7100 and D60 as my back up.

AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G
AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
AF-S Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED
Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6
Tiffen UV Protector
Tiffen Circular Polarizer

#5 winclk

winclk

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1807 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:42 PM

Thank you Donna. My first time shooting people that weren't family.

Edited by winclk, 09 July 2013 - 02:43 PM.

Robin

#6 fotofill

fotofill

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3345 posts
  • Interests:I have been blessed to have a wonderful family that permits my activities doing photojournalism.

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:50 PM

Sports and photojournalism
http://www.fotofill.net

#7 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 20874 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:30 PM

Very nicely done, Robin. Your photography has really progressed.
Signature_Line_V4

#8 winclk

winclk

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1807 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:35 PM

Thank you Art. Alot has changed for me since I've been on the Planet. :D
Robin

#9 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 20874 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:13 AM

Thank you Art. Alot has changed for me since I've been on the Planet. :D

Well, don't leave us hanging, share with us! :) Clearly, it is all positive!
Signature_Line_V4

#10 Rick Paul

Rick Paul

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:43 AM

Not to repeat anything anyone else said, but I don't allow online printing anymore.

Several reasons:

(1) You can't control the final quality (as you've discovered)

(2) It lowers your sale. I do all my sales face to face. Since I've done that my sales average as increased 300%.

Al images are viewed live with me first, during the sales session. I only post to online galleries AFTER the sales session. 

Just something to think about.

Visit me on Facebook and Twitter!

#11 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Competitive Target Shooting, Field Target - Rifle, PFT - Pistol Field Target, Indoor Silhouette, Cooking, Adult AirGuns, Computers, Martial Arts.

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:54 AM

Not to repeat anything anyone else said, but I don't allow online printing anymore.

Several reasons:

(2) It lowers your sale. I do all my sales face to face. Since I've done that my sales average as increased 300%.

Al images are viewed live with me first, during the sales session. I only post to online galleries AFTER the sales session. 

Rick, I think whether or not to use direct sales as oppose to and online sales vehicle depends on who you target might be. A sports photog catering to local team sports may not need to approach parents if they are selling images from say a championship or any sports event for that matter. Also remember that online sites deliver contact information for the business using online sale methods, so if there is a need to do a more personal approach I would think that most photographers would be willing to provide support. Online sales is just another tool used as a extension of what we do, and I don't think we could ever have too many tools.

Edited by gregc, 28 March 2014 - 03:05 PM.

SOME OF WHAT'S In MY GEAR BAGS

(1) Nikon D4 body fitted with leather grip (2) D3s bodies fitted with leather grips
Mamiya 645 with Lenses| Bellows | glass filters
Cambo Legend 4"x5" kit (Lenses | bag bellows | loupe | Sheet film holders..etc.)
Sony HVR-Z7U HDV Camcorder & DCR-DVD D650 HandyCam (just in case)

Nikon Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 f2.8 AF-S G ED VR Nikon Nikkor AF-S G IF-ED VR 300 mm F/2.8G VR IF G ED| AF Fisheye Nikkor 10.5mm f2.8 G ED | Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm|Nikon calls this the AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED | Fotodiox Pro Nikon Large Format 4x5 Adapter Minolta Flash Meter IV and Flash Meter III with various diffusers and a 5 degree spot meter attachment | Bogen 3051 tripod with 3047 HD 3-way head | Manfrotto 679B Monopod | BEIKE BK-45 Gimbal Head Neewer 110CM 43" 5-in-1 Collapsible Multi-Disc Reflectors (2) | Opteka RH-42 Reflector Holders (2) | Paul C Buff 22" Silver Beauty Dish & Diffuser | Photoflex medium and large Multi-Domes | Fotodiox 12"x 80" Strip Boxes with Egg Crates (2) | Shoot & DSLR Kit Wireless Flash Triggers | Zeikos White Balance Card Trio (white, black and 18%) | Calumet 32" and 44" Umbrellas (2 sets) | 5 White Lighting (P.Buff) Ultras with grids | barn doors | light stands | background stand | various seamless papers | Bogen 3085 Boom arms (2) | OCF: Nikon SB800 | Electronic and Manual Cable Releases | Tamarac MXS536801 & MXS536901 Memory/battery management wallets | 8-10 SanDisk CF Cards | Background Projector Box with patterns | HP Laptop (carried to location in camera case) | Calumet Pro Series RC1188 Rolling Camera Case | Cleaning kit | Muslin clamps | Color Gels | USB Cables | Lots of other stuff to keep this list shorter

#12 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15015 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:38 AM

Several reasons:

In another post, you mentioned that you use WHCC, which is one of the three or four labs that sumgmug uses. I understand your business profile, and that is fine. But, I don't see there would be a difference having sumgmug print using WHCC or using them independently. 

The issue in this thread is, providing the correct size to be printed. Even if Robin sent them to WHCC, she would have to size the prints correctly. The frame from a full frame is going to be around 8x12. So, robin will need to shoot accordingly, or do some re-sizing stuff to make sure that what she wants within an 8x10, will be the same as a 5x7, even those those are two different ratio's and will not look exactly the same. Part of the game when prints are required.

If Robin is using LR, then she can work on the frame as is, check color and all that kind of stuff. then make a virtual copy and crop that for 8x10. LR will show her what gets cut off, and she can then adjust. She can have a virtual copy for each of the different print ration's; 8x10, 5x7, wallet and so on. that would be what she would; upload to SM or send to WHCC.

Edited by Dennis, 28 March 2014 - 11:45 AM.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users