#1 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7314 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 31 July 2018 - 12:21 PM

Interesting article by Thom Hogan.  Some very good points, but too soon to tell if he will be proven right.

https://dslrbodies.c...-dslr-dead.html

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#2 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1288 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 31 July 2018 - 06:00 PM

Is there a mirrorless yet where the battery will last as long as a DSLR?

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#3 Dennis

Dennis

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15352 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 01 August 2018 - 09:20 AM

Batteries see this: http://www.sansmirro...ry-life-of.html

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#4 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1288 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 01 August 2018 - 03:57 PM

I know my D3300 doesn't last long when the display screen is constantly on

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#5 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15352 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 04:24 PM

I have batteries for my D4 that I got when I got the camera, and they don't last as long as they used to. I got new ones, and will probably get more. It's all on how you use them, your camera habits. In Alaska, I did use an old battery and they lasted the whole day. Shot somewhere between 1-3k depening. Machine Gun mode clocks up a lot of images. 

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#6 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 01 August 2018 - 05:44 PM

Thom's article is a pretty good read.  There are a few facts tht are rarely discussed.

DSLR cameras have hundreds of millions of lenses in the hands of users.  The number for a new mount or mirrorless line is much smaller.  On the plus side, it means a disproportionate need to invest in lenses for mirrorless and new mounts.  But when it comes to owners of multiple systems, it's a lot easier to sell a few Sony lenses and return to Nikon than to sell a dozen Nikon lenses and go solely with Sony.  I looked at a kit of gear in an estate recently.  There was a new Panasonic GH5 with a few lenses - a $5000 investment.  But the Nikon kit had a $50,000 investment in gear - mainly lenses.  The ultimate selling price to KEH was similarly proportioned - $1800 for the GH5 plus lenses and $19,000 for the Nikon kit.  

Nikon will likely support the F-mount for a number of years into the future - especially in the FX format.  DX looks a bit more questionable in that there is virtually no investment in pro level lenses over the past 8 years.  Given the lack of new DX lenses for pros, I'd expect to see that lineup continue with minimal growth and a shift to the Mirrorless M-Mount.  We are almost certain to see a major investment in M-Mount FX lenses, but could also see a DX M-Mount as a small format body with light weight.  The paper mockup of the new Mirrorless based on the illustration showed a small camera with good ergonomics in addition to the full size model.

Right now Sony benefits from being able to be the leading company in mirrorless.  Collectively all mirrorless companies combined have a 26% market share - mainly in smaller bodies.  But two years from now they will have a lot of competition from Nikon and Canon.  

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

#7 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21341 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 08 August 2018 - 01:18 AM

I agree with the assessment that the DSLR is certainly NOT dead.

As much as I believe mirrorless is the future, to be quite honest, it is NOT in my future.  Why?

1) I love the DSLR.  I like the weight and the feel. I am not a huge fan of small cameras.

2) Mirrorless is not full frame 46 mp, YET.  I don't like cropped sensors.  

3) I have a huge amount of money invested in Nikon glass.  That is not going to change and I am not going to take a bath to buy the latest trend.

4) I do not feel mirrorless has arrived yet from ANY manufacturer.  Talk to me in 4 years.  I don't care about the hype or the promise.  It is NOT there yet, in my opinion.

5) I will be double down, absolutely NOT interested if they move away from the F mount.  Again, huge investment in glass.

6) I do believe Nikon will be one of the top of the heap in this market, when the time comes.  I have huge faith in them again.  I also believe they learned from their mistakes of the past.  And, those mistakes don't really matter to a market that has amnesia.  All you need is todays latest hit.  I also believe that new HIT is around the corner, they are on a roll or late.

So, as much as I believe in mirrorless and that they need to be in the development game, I personally and not interested in a serious way.  There is a caveat to my position.  I currently own two Nikon 1's.  

IF:

1) they have an EV

2) compatible with F mount glass in a big way

3) have an adapter similar to the FT-1

4) the price is reasonable....

5) reasonable sized sensor but not cropped....

I might buy a body for high magnification images.  Nothing rocks more than 2.6 x magnification with no loss of light!!!

And, I am greatly looking forward to the announcement.

Signature_Line_V4

#8 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15352 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 08:57 AM

As much as I believe mirrorless is the future, to be quite honest, it is NOT in my future.  Why?

And, here I thought it was because your older than dirt. LOL

Good points, since I'm a few years younger than Art, I'm too, older than dirt. The camera's and glass I have now is just fine. would I get a mirrorless, maybe. something I can keep with me that is better than my cell phone, yeah.

Thanks, Dennis.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#9 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7314 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 12:33 PM

The camera's and glass I have now is just fine. would I get a mirrorless, maybe. something I can keep with me that is better than my cell phone, yeah.

I feel the same way.  The D810 meets almost all of my requirements.  For those rare times when I want something in between the D810 and my cell phone, the W100 fits the bill nicely, even if it is JPEG only.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#10 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21341 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 08 August 2018 - 10:04 PM

And, here I thought it was because your older than dirt. LOL

Good points, since I'm a few years younger than Art, I'm too, older than dirt. The camera's and glass I have now is just fine. would I get a mirrorless, maybe. something I can keep with me that is better than my cell phone, yeah.

Funny, I AM older than dirt, I just don’t want to admit it. dang you, Dennis, for reminding me.

In my mind, 80 is older than dirt...19 years to go.... I guess it’s all perspective! :lol:
Signature_Line_V4

#11 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23656 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 09 August 2018 - 01:16 AM

1) I love the DSLR.  I like the weight and the feel. I am not a huge fan of small cameras.
2) Mirrorless is not full frame 46 mp, YET.  I don't like cropped sensors.  
3) I have a huge amount of money invested in Nikon glass.  That is not going to change and I am not going to take a bath to buy the latest trend.
4) I do not feel mirrorless has arrived yet from ANY manufacturer.  Talk to me in 4 years.  I don't care about the hype or the promise.  It is NOT there yet, in my opinion.
5) I will be double down, absolutely NOT interested if they move away from the F mount.  Again, huge investment in glass.
6) I do believe Nikon will be one of the top of the heap in this market, when the time comes.  I have huge faith in them again.  I also believe they learned from their mistakes of the past.  And, those mistakes don't really matter to a market that has amnesia.  All you need is todays latest hit.  I also believe that new HIT is around the corner, they are on a roll or late.

So, as much as I believe in mirrorless and that they need to be in the development game, I personally and not interested in a serious way.  There is a caveat to my position.  I currently own two Nikon 1's.  

IF:
1) they have an EV
2) compatible with F mount glass in a big way
3) have an adapter similar to the FT-1
4) the price is reasonable....
5) reasonable sized sensor but not cropped....

I might buy a body for high magnification images.  Nothing rocks more than 2.6 x magnification with no loss of light!!!

And, I am greatly looking forward to the announcement.

But mirrorless is Medium Format which is fuller than full frame in the form of the Fuji GFX at 50 mp and soon to be 100 mp.

Is the DSLR dead NO.

Jim
  • Art likes this

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#12 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21341 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 08:24 PM

Just need to win the lottery, and 100mp would be in my future!

:)
Signature_Line_V4

#13 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7314 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 12:16 PM

Just need to win the lottery, and 100mp would be in my future!

:)

Perhaps someone will offer a course on "Bank Robbery for Photographers"?  :lol:  :lol: If not, then I'll stick with the D810.   :)

• Art likes this
Mark

D810
Various lenses

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users