• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2344 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy photography(of course)and I'm a gadget freak, especially if it can be used in photography.

Posted 19 November 2017 - 01:02 AM

I tried the wi fi on the D5300. It was spotty-sometimes it would work and sometimes it wouldn't. But what about older cameras that don't have wifi such as my D40? Can I get a SD card reader that connects to the phone with a cable? Or what about a wifi SD card?

Bill

Still shooting DX digital and don't plan on going full frame.

D7100, red D5300, IR converted D300,  D40, D70s, Olympus C-5060 P&S from 2003, and a few 35mm film bodies

#2 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19725 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 19 November 2017 - 01:13 AM

https://www.apple.co...ct-MJYT2AM/A-CA

$35 to your door.

If, you have an iPhone.

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#3 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2344 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy photography(of course)and I'm a gadget freak, especially if it can be used in photography.

Posted 19 November 2017 - 01:18 AM

Thanks Art. I don't have an I Phone. I have a LG K10 with a micro B USB connector.

Bill

D7100, red D5300, IR converted D300,  D40, D70s, Olympus C-5060 P&S from 2003, and a few 35mm film bodies

#4 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2344 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 01:24 AM

Or what about this cable and the card reader I already have?

Attached Files

Edited by LightMeter, 19 November 2017 - 01:30 AM.

Bill

#5 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19725 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 19 November 2017 - 01:39 AM

Have to defer to someone who knows LG and that cable.

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#6 Herman

Herman

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9912 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, flight simulation, nature, photography and travel

Posted 19 November 2017 - 11:12 AM

Bill, re the D5300... are you using SnapBridge to transfer photos?

That cable took like a HDMI to regular USB or v.v.???

:unsure:

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#7 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 14458 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 19 November 2017 - 12:47 PM

I would try it. You couldnt hurt it.

All other options would require additional funds. Im not sure if any of the older wireless option of that time would work with the D40.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group

Nikon D4, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#8 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6270 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 19 November 2017 - 01:37 PM

Ok, maybe I'm not as tech savy as I would like to be, but I'm stumped by this.  I can understand why users would want to transfer pics from a phone or camera to external storage (computer, external drive, cloud storage, etc.)  However, why would one want to transfer pics from a camera to a phone?  Editing on a larger screen?  If so, why not transfer to an iPad or a computer, so that you can use a much larger screen, to show more detail?  Just askin'.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#9 Herman

Herman

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9912 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, flight simulation, nature, photography and travel

Posted 19 November 2017 - 02:13 PM

I can imagine it for on-the-fly storage capacity. My Galaxy Note III has standard 32gb plus an extra 64gb SanDisk micro-sd storage card that I originally purchased for this exact purpose.

Haven't had the need to use it as yet but can imagine transfering between camera and phone via micro-USB cable.

I think for older dSLR's such as the D50 and D300 there is no wifi possibility unless a Wifi sd-card is involved. D300 having a CF card would need a CF to SD adapter card.

:)

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#10 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2344 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 04:22 PM

Bill, re the D5300... are you using SnapBridge to transfer photos?

That cable took like a HDMI to regular USB or v.v.???

:unsure:

I'm using the D5300's Wifi and I loaded the Nikon WMU app in my phone. I don't know if that's Snapbridge or not. The cable pictured has a micro USB at one end for the phone and mini USB at the other for the card reader.

Edited by LightMeter, 19 November 2017 - 04:26 PM.

Bill

#11 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2344 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 04:25 PM

Ok, maybe I'm not as tech savy as I would like to be, but I'm stumped by this.  I can understand why users would want to transfer pics from a phone or camera to external storage (computer, external drive, cloud storage, etc.)  However, why would one want to transfer pics from a camera to a phone?  Editing on a larger screen?  If so, why not transfer to an iPad or a computer, so that you can use a much larger screen, to show more detail?  Just askin'.  :)

I want to transfer  images to my phone so I can email or post on Facebook and not have to wait until I get home and get them into the computer. I don't have a iPad or laptop and don't want to carry one around. I loaded an app in my phone that shrinks pics so I can shrink to a good size for posting and emailing.

Bill

#12 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2344 posts

Posted Today, 02:53 AM

Last week I got a cable that connects the card reader to the phone but the phone doesn't recognize the card or reader. So I have to try another way.

Bill

#13 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6270 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted Today, 11:53 AM

Last week I got a cable that connects the card reader to the phone but the phone doesn't recognize the card or reader. So I have to try another way.

I'm not trying to be funny when I ask if there is an app for that?  I'm specifically thinking of a dedicated app that would allow you to transfer images. 

Bill, you that you installed an app that lets you shrink your images to a suitable size.  Is there a setting on that which would allow you to make that transfer?  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#14 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 6571 posts

Posted Today, 01:16 PM

I'm using the D5300's Wifi and I loaded the Nikon WMU app in my phone. I don't know if that's Snapbridge or not. The cable pictured has a micro USB at one end for the phone and mini USB at the other for the card reader.

The WMU app. is not Snapbridge Bill... Snapbridge uses bluetooth and wifi and probably is no use to you(it will transfer 2megapixel images via bluetooth or full size via wifi). You might need an OTG (On The Go) cable... I think it feeds power from the phone to run your card reader...so an OTG cable then your micro-mini cable-card reader. OTG cables come with various connectors... but need to mention in their description that they are an OTG cable. You may also be able to 'tether' your camera via the OTG and USB cable to your phone and use 'DSLRdashboard' app.

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#15 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19464 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted Today, 02:33 PM

I am happily using the Apple device that Art posted.

Der 605 doesn't have WiFi and I am comfy with that as my only I take and phtog with my iPhone 8+ and can do mostly all internet related actions with this combo.

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

Member of the following organizations:

American Society of Media Professionals

Fairmount Photo Club

NYI PhotoWorld Magazine

Photographic Society of Philadelphia

Philadelphia Photo League (PPL)

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!
New website coming soon!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users