Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#2 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19738 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 06 October 2017 - 12:43 PM

I saw this, it is impressive. 

I am not sure how DSO ratings totally work, but it does certainly seem like Nikon nailed it, AGAIN!

It is nice to know this camera is just as exciting as the D800 was years ago.  Lets hope Nikon can maintain this momentum over the next year with their new releases.

Thanks for the Link, Mark.

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#3 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6580 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 03:07 PM

Wow....

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#4 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 22693 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 07 October 2017 - 12:34 AM

Very impressive.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

D700 w/MB-D10, D605 w/MB-D14, D200 w/MB-D200, D50, Coolpix P330.

Nikon 1 stuff: Nikon V1, Nikkor 10mm f2.8 pancake w/HN-N101 & HC-N101, Nikkor 10-30mm f3.5-5.6 w/HB-N101 Aspherical VR,, Nikkor 18.5mm f1.8 w/HB-N104, Nikon 1 FT-1, SB-N5 w/Polaroid Diffuser .

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D, Nikkor 18-35 f3.5-4.5 AF-D ED.

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG HSM, Tamron's SP 70-200 f2.8 LD Di IF/Macro BIM, Kenko Pro 300 1.4 TC DGX, Tokina 100 f2.8D Macro At-X.

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#5 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5314 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 02:21 AM

Its really impressive that Nikon has managed to keep the DR and ISO performance the same as the D810 while dealing with all the extra pixels - but - just think how much better it could have been with the same pixels but all that added tinkering. 

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him.

#6 chaswes5

chaswes5

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8418 posts
  • Interests:Macs, photoshop, portraits and photographing ordinary life. I enjoy taking candid shots then developing them into something more than a snap shot.

Posted 07 October 2017 - 08:08 AM

Just waiting for the first refurbs to appear. Looking at some time next year. 

Charles Wesley

Nikon D800 and D700 and some lenses. Sony NEX 7 with 18-55 Kit Lens.

“When you photograph people in color, you photograph their clothes. But when you photograph people in Black and white, you photograph their souls!” ― Ted Grant I try never to fool myself that just pointing a camera at something makes it art. Or that snapping the shutter makes me an artist."

Don Giannatti

Gallery:http://wesleyphotography.zenfolio.com/

#7 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4089 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, travelogues, aircraft photography.

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:55 AM

Charles -- Yep I'm thinking the same way.

You ready for the storm??
Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#8 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6281 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 07 October 2017 - 12:39 PM

Its really impressive that Nikon has managed to keep the DR and ISO performance the same as the D810 while dealing with all the extra pixels - but - just think how much better it could have been with the same pixels but all that added tinkering. 

That very same thought crossed my mind, BP.  However, in their defence, everyone would have criticized them, for not keeping pace with C@non and Sony in the MP wars.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#9 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5314 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 12:45 PM

That very same thought crossed my mind, BP.  However, in their defence, everyone would have criticized them, for not keeping pace with C@non and Sony in the MP wars.  :)

Depressing isn' it

I would far rather have a major gain in DR and colour consistency and noise control than a few extra pixels...particularly when the D810 is hardly lacking in them to start with. 

Can you imagine a 30mp FF sensor with 16 plus stops of DR  :blink:

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him.

#10 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • 4089 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 06:35 PM

BP -- my thinking exactly. Peter Hurley did a video for B&H called "Speedlight Action" and was talking about the craze for super-high pixel-count cameras. His words were, "A lot of people just use the shots on the web. They're using them on the web! What are we doing??!!
Don
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#11 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 14461 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 07 October 2017 - 07:04 PM

Yeah, but Peter has several phase 1, 100 meg MF sensors.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group

Nikon D4, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#12 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • 4089 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 06:19 AM

True but his point is still valid -- what good are those 100MP sensors for a 2x3" photo on the web or even an 8x10" print? If the big sensor also gives you better color and DR, then there's an advantage, but more pixels don't guarantee that, and there's where his argument lines up with BP's.

Plus it looks like Hurley is migrating from MF to a Canon 5DS R. In the video, he uses an 18MP Rebel and gets shots he can use commmercially. From what he says, it looks like the experience of making that video changed his perspective on pixel density and it's importance.

You can pretty much cover the broad side of a barn with a 36MP image and it'll look great. For that matter you could use a 24mp image and, from the road, most people wouldn't notice the difference. Give me a camera with a 30MP sensor, DR that puts print film to shame, and a grain free image at ISO 200,000, with the same picture taking conveniences as the D850, and I'm all over it.
Don

#13 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 04:58 AM

I'm not sure that maximum dynamic range is a critical goal.  It's an area for future improvement, but more likely with in camera multiple images like the Multi Exposure function or Long Exposure Noise Reduction.  We're near theoretical limits for noise so there won't be improvement s there.

One thing to keep in mind is that dynamic range is maximized at base ISO.  You sacrifice almost a full stop of dynamic range for every stop you raise ISO.  It doesn't do much good to talk about dynamic range when you are raising ISO.  

The color of the D850 is terrific.  I don't need anything more - and it's probably beyond the human eye's ability to see any more color.

• Art likes this

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users