#1 Waterfowler

Waterfowler

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3531 posts
  • Interests:Photography,Waterfowl, Snowboarding, Outdoors,Fishing

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:23 PM

Ok I'm going be up grading my Computer and will Finally be able to run these Programs. My Comp. is to old and slow right now for any of those programs since it only a 80GB hard drive a 512MB of ram. I had it since 2005 with no upgrade to it. I think I'm going with 1Tb Hard drive and 8GB of ram. But anyway What one do I need. I want to start useing Raw. What the differents between Light room,Elements,NX2 or CS4. I hear guys running NX2 and say Light room or CS4 and light room or NX2 and Elements. Any help that you guys could give would be great. Thanks Mark,
Mark Shartle

D300,D40x, MB-D10
600mm AF-S II, 70-300mm VR,18-55mm, 300mm f/4 AF-S Nikon TC-14E II
Sigma 55-200mm, Sigma 8-16mm
Gizto 3541 XLS Tripod, Markins Q20 Ballhead
WH-200 Wimberley Head Version II
Wimberley Sidekick

Lightroom 3
Photoshop CS5

#2 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23648 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 02 October 2009 - 01:03 AM

Hey Mark I am very pro NX2 and not a huge fan of the CS series for me the cost is crazy and I find it not the easiest program to use. That said many love Lightroom and Adobe products I just happen to not be one of them. Now NX2 is a powerful RAW editor I find it renders NEF files the best out of all of them. The main reason is NX2 can read all the data in a NEF file, Nikon encrypts some data so Adobe and other editors can not read all the data. For me this speeds up my post processing time since I can setup my D200 for different shooting styles and still shoot RAW but have that data read like a JPEG without the JPEG loss. Adobe can not read these settings in the NEF file unlike it can in a JPEG. Now Adobe can read the main data so you can still use RAW and get excellent results as witnessed by the great photos taken here on the planet. But for me I prefer the down and dirty RAW editor since I hate post processing. Plus Nik software makes a varity of filters now that can be used on NX2 just as it can in photoshop. Now there are some things that can be done in photoshop that can not be done in NX2 like HDR and a few other advanced settings. But if you are looking for a great RAW/NEF editor NX2 is my choice, it may not be everyones but it is mine. Now let me add there is a huge following of lightroom users and Jazz and Mule love it. I have not played with the newest version but the original was not file friendly to me and It took me longer to get the look I got in NX2 but again Lightroom seems to be very very popular! Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#3 Guest_chaswes5_*

Guest_chaswes5_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2009 - 07:13 AM

Mark,

As I understand it, NX2 is more intuitive and easier to learn and operate than LR2, or CS4. Photoshop Elements (8 is coming out soon) which is a dumbed down version of CS4 and is easier to learn and is probably the most like NX2 for ease of use.

With that said, here is what I did, because like you, I was a novice (still am) at using these programs. Jim is correct, they are not easy to learn intuitively. It is important to learn Adobe's rules for their programs and the rules are different for each program and function. Photoshop was so confusing to me, I wasted time trying to figure out how to get from step 4 to 5. Often, a book or manual will assume you know how to do a function, when you don't, so you are stopped cold.

Here is the bare truth, none of Adobe's photographic programs are easy to learn. You have to work at it. You must learn their rules. You must learn the meaning of icons. And there are a host of other basics needed to navigate and make Adobe work for you.

OK, I am not discouraging you I hope. Don't be, you can master all and any of these programs. You just need to know going in that it will take time and patience. I would start out with Photoshop Elements 8. Once you have learned to use it, you will get to a point where you need to do something that can't be done in Elements and that will be your SIGN from the Adobe gods that it is time to move into CS4 or what ever is out there. You may also choose to start using Lightroom 2 at this time as well.

When you order Photoshop Elements 8 also order Adobe Photoshop Elements 8: Classroom in a Book. This Adobe tutorial will teach you the basics of the program. Is it boring? Yes. Is it necessary? Yes. An alternative to teaching yourself, is take a class using this same book and you will be light years ahead on the path to Photoshop enlightenment. Learning Elements, will give you the basics and understanding of Adobe Photoshop CS 4 and beyond.

Oh, did I mention, it will be a boring and frustrating process but the rewards are big and you happiness will be greater in the world of Post Processing.

Edited by chaswes5, 02 October 2009 - 07:17 AM.

#4 Loganjet

Loganjet

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 01:30 PM

Hey Mark, I'm no expert on any of these software packages, although I do have a large select of them and they all have unique features. If you consider the cost of the packages, you can almost always get a discount if you are a student/teacher or perhaps you may know someone who can get you the discount. Adobe has had deals like this for years.

Loganjet

Equipment:
D80, F601, F401, SB600, SB22, Nikkor D28-70mm , Nikkor D70-210mm , Nikkor D50mm, Sigma 18-35

#5 Jon H.

Jon H.

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4447 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 02:25 PM

Mark, Each application has it's advantages and disadvantages. I can't speak to NX2, but my workflow is import, organize, do most of my post in Lightroom 2... Takes care of probably 85% of what I need to do. For work that requires selections, layers, etc. I go to Photoshop (CS4). If you can register as a student in an adult education program, there are significant discounts for many software programs available through academic resellers like www.academicsuperstore.com, creationengine.com, journeyed.com, and others... Jon
Jon Haverstick
Southern CA, USA
Portraiture, Wedding, Product, Stage, Real Estate, Corporate, Annual Report, Sports, Event, Special Projects
Photoshop, Lightroom, and Photography Instruction

Website / Blog / Portfolio: www.jonhaverstickstudio.com
Email: jon@jonhaverstickstudio.com

Founding Photographer: Smiles Across The Miles - "Focusing on the Those Who Serve" Pro bono professional portraiture for military personnel and their families.

Publisher: Senior Portraits, Headshots, Two Hearts:One Love, and With this Ring Magazines: http://magcloud.com/.../jchphotography

Professional Memberships:
  • NAPP (National Association of Photoshop Professionals)
  • WPPI (Wedding and Portrait Photographers International)
  • SPS (Student Photographic Society): Educator
  • Nikon Professional Services

#6 tlsmith1000

tlsmith1000

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1302 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 08:51 PM

I've been using Bibble Pro version 4 from Bibble Labs. It works pretty well and is about $160. They have a new version coming out but nobody knows when that might be since it's been "coming soon" for almost two years. The preview of the new version 5 does look really promising.

I also used Lightroom 2 until the demo expired and I really liked it but as I recall it was about $250.

For more advanced editing an alternative to Photoshop is Gimp. It has most of the features of Photoshop without the $600 price tag. Gimp is free. Although it's just as difficult to learn as Photoshop, but at least you don't have to pay a king's ransom for the privilege.
Terry

http://www.flickr.co..._bone_photos/

When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.
- attributed to Mark Twain

#7 Waterfowler

Waterfowler

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • 3531 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 10:22 PM

Thanks Guys for the Info and help. Thats way this place Rocks.... Bunch of great People on here that are willing to help me out. Yeah I was thinking about using Elements since it only about 80 bucks or so But I was also thinking of using NX2 since I have the Trial for it. Say I get NX2 will that do it all or should I get Elements also. This is all new to me so I have no clue. I know I will not be getting CS4 because I don't have the 600 dollars for that program.
Mark Shartle

D300,D40x, MB-D10
Wimberley Sidekick

Lightroom 3
Photoshop CS5

#8 Waterfowler

Waterfowler

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • 3531 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 10:39 PM

Mark,

If you can register as a student in an adult education program, there are significant discounts for many software programs available through academic resellers like www.academicsuperstore.com, creationengine.com, journeyed.com, and others...

Jon

How about joining the NAPP are any of you guys a member with them? Is it worth joining that for the discounts? Can any student get a discount or do they got to be a student of Photography?

Jon, Are these education programs free?
Mark Shartle

D300,D40x, MB-D10
Wimberley Sidekick

Lightroom 3
Photoshop CS5

#9 Jon H.

Jon H.

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4447 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 10:48 PM

How about joining the NAPP are any of you guys a member with them? Is it worth joining that for the discounts? Can any student get a discount or do they got to be a student of Photography?

Jon, Are these education programs free?

NAPP is great for tech support. Discounts are okay, but not tremendous.

To get discounts through the academic resellers, you need to show student status (usually ID or current class registration). Some specify that continuing education does not qualify, so check first. Otherwise, you may be able to find a free adult ed course at your local community college (like where I teach), and they don't ask what kind of course you're taking. i.e., doesn't need to be photography or Photoshop related.

Jon
Jon Haverstick
Southern CA, USA
Portraiture, Wedding, Product, Stage, Real Estate, Corporate, Annual Report, Sports, Event, Special Projects
Photoshop, Lightroom, and Photography Instruction

Website / Blog / Portfolio: www.jonhaverstickstudio.com
Email: jon@jonhaverstickstudio.com

Founding Photographer: Smiles Across The Miles - "Focusing on the Those Who Serve" Pro bono professional portraiture for military personnel and their families.

Publisher: Senior Portraits, Headshots, Two Hearts:One Love, and With this Ring Magazines: http://magcloud.com/.../jchphotography

Professional Memberships:
  • NAPP (National Association of Photoshop Professionals)
  • WPPI (Wedding and Portrait Photographers International)
  • SPS (Student Photographic Society): Educator
  • Nikon Professional Services

#10 DigitalDarrell

DigitalDarrell

Administrator

• Admin
  • 3520 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 11:11 PM

IMHO ... you need both!
Best regards,
Darrell Young (Digital Darrell)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Better too many words than not enough understanding." - Darrell Young
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bodies
: Nikon D810, D800, D750, D600, D2X, COOLPIX A, D100, F80, FM, EM, Olympus OM-D E-M1, Olympus OM-D E-M10
Lenses
: AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G, AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition (for Df), AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G VR (x2), AF-S Nikkor DX 16-85mm f/3.5-4.5G VR, AF Nikkor 80-400 f/4.5-5.6D ED VR, AF Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8, AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, AF-S Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D, AI Nikkor 35mm f/2, AI Nikkor 50mm 5/1.8, AI Nikkor 50mm 5/1.8 Series E, AI Nikkor 105mm f/2.5, AI Nikkor 200mm f/4, Non-AI Nikkor-S 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 10-20mm EX f/3.5-5.6, M.Zuiko 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 lens, M.Zuiko PRO 12-40mm f/2.8 ED
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Accessories:
Nikon SB-910 Speedlight, Nikon SB-900 Speedlight, Nikon GP-1 GPS, Nikon ME-1 Microphone, Eye-Fi Wireless Cards, Atomos Ninja Blade External HDMI Video Recorder, Atomos Ninja-2 External HDMI Video Recorder, Atomos Samurai Blade External Video Recorder, Manfrotto Tripods, Markins M-10 Ballhead, Lots of camera bags, Metz 24 AF-1 Flash, Olympus FL-600R Flash, Olympus HLD-7 Battery Grip
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member of:

Nikon Professional Services (NPS), Professional Photographers of America (PPA), North American Nature Photography Association (NANPA), Founding Member of Nikonians Writers' Guild (www.Nikonians.org), Charter Member (year 2000) of Nikonians.org

#11 Waterfowler

Waterfowler

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • 3531 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 02:57 AM

Ok one more question. I bought a new Computer and it a 64bit system will NX2 or Elements 8 run on 64 bit systems? I would think Elements 8 would be able to.
Mark Shartle

D300,D40x, MB-D10
Wimberley Sidekick

Lightroom 3
Photoshop CS5

#12 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5342 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 04:29 AM

As far as I can tell from a quick trawl round the 'net NX2 will work on a 64bit machine. As to the various programs then it depends on how many shots you need to work on and wether you need to batch stuff. NX is very, very good (probably the best) at getting the most from a Nikon NEF file. It will automatically remove colour fringing (as it opens the file so you don't even see it) as well as sorting fall-off and distortion. The noise reduction is brilliant and it has U-Point built in which works wonder. But.....it isn't the fastest thing to run and it is cumbersome when you need to work on lots of files. Lightroom is very fast at sorting multiple files as you are only altering the on-screen image and set it going on the actual file once you have fiddled. I did a wedding recently and had to work through over nine hundred NEF's so Lightroom was the way to go. It is also very good at organising all your images as everything gets imported into is library's. The noise reduction and fringing is poor compared to NX so more work is needed on the images there before they are ready to be used. Photoshop is great at mucking about with images and Bridge is pretty good at organising all your files. I use it on every shot after I have ran the NEF through something else first. There are loads of plug-in's available plus the way it works with none destructive layers still makes it the benchmark for creative photography. The RAW converter is ok but nothing to write home about so I'd say it was the second step in a workflow not a complete one. I would lump the various versions of Photoshop (CS4/Elements) together as they are hard to seperate with only the very obscure features missing from the cheaper version. Recommendation...... NX2 and Elements.
God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him.

#13 aviador

aviador

Planet Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 08:59 PM

The CD that comes with the camera (View NX 2) is just a demo?
All icons are grayed out and I can only open an image as if it is video.
Click on the image, right click on the image -> open in -> video editor. The Option Capture NX 2 is grayed
I run the updated version an the same problem , I can't open files with the NX2 option (grayed),only in movie editor option   

I forget to say that all my files are all jpg's is it important ?

#14 Jeff

Jeff

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5165 posts
  • Interests:Photography, plastic model cars, darts, drag racing, hiking

Posted 06 April 2015 - 11:44 PM

Hi Mark. I have a 64 bit system and I have both NX2 and Lightroom loaded on it. They both work fine. Jeff

[font=Arial][size=1]
Nikon D300
Nikon D200
18-70 Nikkor 3.5-4.5 G
55-200 Nikkor 4-5.6
105 Micro Nikkor 2.8G VR
SB-600 Speedlight
Manfrotto 055MF4 Tripod
Manfrotto 3130 Pan/Tilt Head
AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 G IF-ED
Nikon D810
Nikkor 24-120 AFS F/4G ED VR

#15 Gary Worrall

Gary Worrall

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6688 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 01:39 AM

Hi Mark,

Are your files NEF , and edited in CNX2?

If you make the change to LR or other RAW processing software, you will lose all your edits unless you have tiffs or jpegs,

I just cloned the drives before the change over, just to be sure, any with huge edits, I changed to tiffs, but be aware, lots of huge files!

If you have your CNX2 code, you should be able to download the 64bit version on the new computer, I would have thought? Check with Nikon

lastly, Adobe CC @ $10 a month is a good deal, get both LR and PS

For the computer, I would suggest at least 16GB of ram, or more, pretty memory hungry the new softwares, if you can, a SSD will help as well

.......Gary

- I have a photographic memory but never got it developed -

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users