11 replies to this topic

#1 Rebel

Rebel

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:13 AM

Anybody got a Joby Gorilla Pod? I was looking at the SLR Zoom model for a light weight emergency tripod.

http://joby.com/gorillapod/slrzoom

I have a tripod and Monopod (which has optional folding feet that can be extracted from the base if I'm in a pinch for a steadier mount).

The downside of my tripod is that it's heavy and lots of places don't like you using them. My Monopod is great and I can get away with using it almost anywhere but it's heavy and I had to modify it to be able to carry it with a shoulder strap without having to put it in a bag (taking it in and out of a bag gets slow and ridiculous). Why Manfrotto think you want to carry it in your hand all the time is a mystery to me.

Anyway I was thinking the Gorilla Pod might be a solution but then again maybe not. Reviews I've read have been mixed.

I'll be mounting a medium size DSLR camera on it, probably with a battery grip attached and a short to medium length Zoom, maybe with a flash but I could always fire that remotely. The total weight is going to be under 3KG so I shouldn't need the sturdier "Focus" model.

Any thoughts? Oh, I'd probably get their light weight ball mount with it if I got the Pod. http://joby.com/gorillapod/ballhead

(Posted from my phone so forgive any typos 😇)

Edited by Rebel, 08 October 2015 - 04:26 AM.

Who we are, shapes what we see ~ Chris Orwig

Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go and do that. For what the world needs, is people who have come fully alive ~ Gil Bailie

#2 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22384 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 08 October 2015 - 05:24 AM

My only thought......

Can that thing hold my gear without dropping it!!! :o

Signature_Line_V4

#3 Rebel

Rebel

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 05:59 AM

It does look a bit scary. ☺ That is a concern. I don't think I'd confidentially fasten it to the side of a bridge or tower block.

One thing I can see that it would be excellent for is shooting close to the ground.

Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go and do that. For what the world needs, is people who have come fully alive ~ Gil Bailie

#4 Peter

Peter

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 06:46 AM

I have the heavy-duty model. I haven't used it extensively with my DSLR but can say that it is well built and I would have no issues with wrapping it around a post overhanging a large precipice with my camera attached to it. I have used it quite a bit with my J1 and it works very well for a variety of situations. I would recommend you upgrade as it is always better to be overprepared than underprepared. I don't think there is much of a difference in the increased weight and size of the heavy duty model.

Peter

#5 Rebel

Rebel

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 07:57 AM

Good to get some feedback from a user. Thanks, I'll certainly consider getting one. It's not a priority for me to get one right now but it's an option I've been considering if it's small and light enough to carry around everywhere. I could see it might be useful for my GoPro too.

#6 Peter

Peter

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 10:49 AM

Confirmed that SLR-Zoom is the model I have. Holds a D200 with Tamron 17-55 f2.8 very stable.

Peter

#7 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5342 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 01:20 PM

I use pretty much the same one every week but with a GripTight Mount for my iPhone.

I have used it with the K30 but not very often - did the job though.

Thing to remember if it were to fall over its only going to fall a few inches.

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him.

#8 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 24229 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 08 October 2015 - 05:42 PM

I've use one with my D700 it was OK not the most stable but the D700 is rather heavy, but I lost it a few years ago so I can not do any testing now.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#9 Rebel

Rebel

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 06:51 AM

I decided to go ahead and order the SLR Zoom Gorillapod with the standard ballhead.

I reckon it will be a useful piece of kit. I can see how I can not only use it for my camera but I can mount an external flash and a GoPro on it too.

I decided against the sturdier but heavier model after watching a few reviews because it looks like the Zoom model should be adequate. I'm really trying to carry less weight around these days.

#10 Gary Worrall

Gary Worrall

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6688 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 07:37 AM

A little Leica M would solve your problem

......Gary

- I have a photographic memory but never got it developed -

#11 Rebel

Rebel

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 02:00 PM

Well my Joby Gorrilapod SLR Zoom and ballhead arrived. It's very plasticky but hopefully it's up to the task.

The ballhead doesn't look rugged but it is sturdy and doesn't slip when tightened.

It's certainly lightweight and small enough to fit in a kit bag.

I'm not sure when I'll get chance to use it with the abysmal rainy weather we've been having. I'm shooting an event tomorrow but I don't think I'll get to use it for that, I'll be mostly standing in the rain hoping to get some halfway decent shots I reckon.

#12 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 24229 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 06 November 2015 - 02:36 PM

Have fun let us know how you like it once you put it thru its paces!

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users