Photo

Slide Copying - Cheap and Cheerful (kind of)!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Peter

Peter

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1198 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 03:29 PM

My have the bulk of my family's photographic history - more simply, I have a box of old slides. One of my long procrastinated goals is to have them all scanned a sorted so I can then share them with the family. Over the years I have looked at scanning services but was never thrilled with the high cost and low resolution. When digital came along I dabbled with some ideas of how to capture the images digitally but soon realised that I didn't have all the necessary equipment (bellows, slide mount, macro lens, etc.) to do so. Then, a couple years ago I bought a 3D printer and began printing and designing all sorts of things for my various other hobbies. As well, along the way I had picked up some more photographic equipment (specifically, a PK-13 extension tube) that could get me closer to my goal, but I still lacked the slide mount and rail unit.

I finally sat down and had a go at seeing if what I had, equipment-wise, along with what I could design and 3D print would do the trick. A bit of trial and error later I had discovered that my D200 mounted with a 50mm lens with the PK-13 mounted between would give me 100% slide coverage at a focal distance of about 200mm. I then designed and 3D printed a slide mount for use on extruded aluminum T-slot rail, ordered a piece of 20x60 rail, and some hardware and waited.

The result is seen below.

Attached File  DSC_2159.jpg   335.75KB   0 downloads

From front to rear... Nikon D200, Nikon PK-13 extension tube, Nikkor 50mm f1.4 lens, 3D printed slide mount, some multipurpose paper to act as a diffuser, SB-800 with diffuser (attached via AC-17 cable). A bit if fiddling with the exposure and I am getting some pretty good results - considering the exposure and condition of the original slides. The slide mount has a slot for a negative strip. Also, I 3D printed a mount plate (using PLA - an ABS like plastic) and an insert pad (using TPU - a softer material).

I have shot about 150 of what I estimate to be close to 1200 slides so far. Finished image size is about 3200 x 2200. The largest amount of work is going to be preparing and sorting all the images for sharing. I am thinking I will put them on a Google Drive and share them with my family contacts.

Regards,

Peter

#2 Herman

Herman

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11158 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, flight simulation, computers, nature, photography & travel

Posted 01 January 2021 - 04:12 PM

That's quite an impressive setup, Peter.

I attempted doing similar in the days that I started with digital photography... My first digital camera was a Sony DSC-S85 (4.1 megapixel).

Purchased a SpecPhoto.com SP-A52 slide adapter at the time that fits to the camera via an adapter tube (Sony VAD-S70b)

Attached File  20210101_SonySlideAdapter.jpg   64.62KB   0 downloads

Good luck with the slides!

Herman 😀

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 | P3700 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#3 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22402 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 06 January 2021 - 11:38 PM

Very nice, Peter.

Hope you are doing well, long time since we last talked.
Signature_Line_V4

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users