14 replies to this topic

#1 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5340 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 02:31 AM

Spent a couple of hours in Newcastle yesterday with a friend chatting about cameras, using cameras, spotting others with cameras and drinking coffee. 

I'm not really a 'street' shooter as I'm not comfortable pointing a camera at a random stranger but I can lurk about in the hope of catching a moment.

My favourite from the day - I waited here for a few minutes and shot a dozen or so frames as people came round the corner waiting for someone that 'looked' right. 
Fuji X-T1 + XF 35mm f1.4

Alleyman.jpg.cc29d85d3d538a93ca0f56e3e75

I had hoped to get someone walking past looking at their mobile phone - but as it happened everyone looked at the memorial.
Fuji X-T1 + NIKKOR-H 28mm f3.5

Remember.jpg.36a0b2e9e2cf7eb3ac64ce40176

One from my mates 85mm f1.8D:

57eb6b7db1329_ShootingSteps.jpg.bd337404

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him.

#2 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 6977 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 02:42 AM

Very nice BP ... #1 my pick ..but that memorial is quite impressive.

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#3 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21074 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:00 AM

Very nice. You should come to Toronto for mobile phone shots. Here, no one lifts their head ...ever! :lol:

I really like the first one, well done!
Signature_Line_V4

#4 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5340 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:04 AM

Thanks guys

Very nice. You should come to Toronto for mobile phone shots. Here, no one lifts their head ...ever! :lol:

I really like the first one, well done!

Its usually like that here to be honest which is why I was surprised there were so few people with their heads down when I took this.

#5 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 10310 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, flight simulation (Airbus 3x series), nature, photography and travel

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:51 AM

Nice images, BP!

:)

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#6 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15194 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 28 September 2016 - 10:39 AM

All nice, but #1 is best for me,

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#7 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7140 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 28 September 2016 - 11:52 AM

I really like the first two images, BP.

I must admit that when I looked at #1, my first thought was:  "How did you capture that image without him noticing you?"   :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#8 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1245 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 28 September 2016 - 12:09 PM

I'd like to try this out, but with peoples attitudes these days I'm afraid someone would smash my camera because they didn't give me permission (even though it's not needed)

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#9 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5340 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 03:56 PM

I really like the first two images, BP.

I must admit that when I looked at #1, my first thought was:  "How did you capture that image without him noticing you?"   :)

He did - I was squatting against the wall with my camera to my eye and my mate was standing behind me with his Nikon DF.

He actually apologised for getting in the way so I just said "It's all right mate" and waited for the next person. 

#10 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21074 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 29 September 2016 - 10:14 AM

Thanks guys

Its usually like that here to be honest which is why I was surprised there were so few people with their heads down when I took this.

I figured as much.

The idiots who run our province have decided that starting in January, motor vehicles have to WAIT until pedestrians have CLEARED THE CROSSWALK COMPLETELY before they can proceed through the intersection.  Why?  Too many IDIOTS being hit by cars.  So, as is with the thinking of this moronic government of ours, blame the cars, punish the drivers... and let the CELL PHONE WATCHING IDIOTS continue to cross the street with their nose in their cell phone.

Welcome to TORONTO.  Sorry... this is a real sore point with me, currently.  I plan to abide by the law on this one.... I will SIT AND WAIT ALL DAY, if I have to, to make a legal turn in a busy intersection.  I hope the City grinds to a halt.

Signature_Line_V4

#11 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1245 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 29 September 2016 - 11:42 AM

I figured as much.

The idiots who run our province have decided that starting in January, motor vehicles have to WAIT until pedestrians have CLEARED THE CROSSWALK COMPLETELY before they can proceed through the intersection.  Why?  Too many IDIOTS being hit by cars.  So, as is with the thinking of this moronic government of ours, blame the cars, punish the drivers... and let the CELL PHONE WATCHING IDIOTS continue to cross the street with their nose in their cell phone.

Welcome to TORONTO.  Sorry... this is a real sore point with me, currently.  I plan to abide by the law on this one.... I will SIT AND WAIT ALL DAY, if I have to, to make a legal turn in a busy intersection.  I hope the City grinds to a halt.

Your crosswalks don't have lights?

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#12 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5340 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 11:48 AM

Out Highway Code is essentially the same:

Allow pedestrians plenty of time to cross and do not harass them by revving your engine or edging forward.

Pelican crossings. These are signal-controlled crossings where flashing amber follows the red ‘Stop’ light. You MUST stop when the red light shows. When the amber light is flashing, you MUST give way to any pedestrians on the crossing. If the amber light is flashing and there are no pedestrians on the crossing, you may proceed with caution.

Pelican crossings which go straight across the road are one crossing, even when there is a central island. You MUST wait for pedestrians who are crossing from the other side of the island.

Give way to anyone still crossing after the signal for vehicles has changed to green. This advice applies to all crossings.

#13 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 7140 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 29 September 2016 - 12:40 PM

In BC we have nice big Walk and Don't Walk signs.  Lots of pedestrians still cross on the Don't Walk, even if it forces vehicles to turn on a red light.  I used to ask them:  "What part of Don't Walk do you not understand?".  Finally gave up.

Also, BC Motor Vehicle Act says that pedestrians have the right of way at all times.  It gets so bad that 70% of respondents agreed when a local radio statin asked if pedestrians get away with too much.

The Act says nothing about Pelicans.  :lol:

Rant complete.  :D

Edited by Sailjunkie, 29 September 2016 - 12:40 PM.

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#14 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1245 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 02:04 PM

In BC we have nice big Walk and Don't Walk signs.  Lots of pedestrians still cross on the Don't Walk, even if it forces vehicles to turn on a red light.  I used to ask them:  "What part of Don't Walk do you not understand?".  Finally gave up.

Also, BC Motor Vehicle Act says that pedestrians have the right of way at all times.  It gets so bad that 70% of respondents agreed when a local radio statin asked if pedestrians get away with too much.

The Act says nothing about Pelicans.  :lol:

Rant complete.  :D

They need to visit Boston, you step off the curb when the vehicles have the green light, you'll learn how to fly pretty dang quick :)

#15 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21074 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 12:34 PM

Yes.

Here is how it will work.

If you make a LEFT TURN....

You may NOT proceed through the cross walk as soon as someone steps on the road. 

You may NOT proceed through the cross walk until said individual EXITS the Crosswalk.

So, in this example, 1 or 2 cars will eventually get through the intersection when the light changes to RED.

Now.... RIGHT TURN!

You come to the intersection and pedestrian steps into the Crosswalk going WITH THE GREEN LIGHT.  You want to go RIGHT.

You STOP DEAD. You may NOT proceed until said pedestrian has EXITED the cross walk at the other end.

Pedestrians also jump the lights. So, picture wall to wall people, like downtown Toronto.  Light turns yellow, a Pedestrian steps on the crosswalk and you wait.

Light turns red before he exits.... the GREEN LIGHT OPPOSITE YOU sends more pedestrians in the crosswalk running in front and across you......

YOU SIT

REPEAT.

Get the idea!

I have bene to Boston a number of times.

Worst place I have EVER driven.  

I love the Parkway that circles the city! Unbelievable experience driving there. <_<

Signature_Line_V4

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users