4 replies to this topic

#1 Danilow

Danilow

Planet Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 03:26 PM

It seems like a simple concept. You plug in an HDMI cable from your Nikon (I have a D610) to a high-res monitor and you are seeing your shots bigger so that you might adjust and review your shot a little better. I looked around on Ebay and though I found computer monitors or high end TVs, I also found a brand of camera preview monitor called Lilliput. They claimed that it was high-res and had various color adjustments. I purchased one - a 7" monitor for $269.00. It looked good coming out of the box but...in the end the resolution was not even close to the cameras viewing window and had a series of anomalies that might have been fine for video - not for detailed table top shooting. I sent it back.

THE GOAL: Find a screen that shows a clear, high-res image that doesn't have a long latency wait and is color adjustable to match the cameras color. I don't want to buy a lap top. I don't want to use an Ipad that call for all kinds of "Jailbreaking" etc. I just want a simple tether screen. Surely someone has had the same need? (I know, "don't call me Shirley")

Please suggest a good monitor or screen that will serve as a reliable studio tether.

Many thanks.

#2 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23857 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 28 April 2015 - 05:10 AM

Nikon makes a WiFi adapter(WU-1b) for the D610(I have the D600 with it) and with the apple or android app you can view the images on your D610 in full detail. You can also take images and transfer them to your iPad or Smart Phone for posting on the web etc. The one thing you can not do is change any settings in the App just live view and shoot and view.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#3 Danilow

Danilow

Planet Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 12:40 PM

I started out this post asking some questions about the best tethering suggestions. Now I find that, after further research, I am answering my own question to some degree and hope that it may help others who are interested. If you search the internet or ebay you will find a series of monitors offering improved viewing of your DSLR. I tried a 7" Lilliput monitor but the image quality was poor, there was an inherent halation on the edges of shots and some of the controls were ineffective.  I returned it. (I have a Nikon D610) I explored regular computer monitors and TVs but I don't want a huge screen and the resolution was suspect. Now I have found a new source and suggest you check it out. This product made by a company called SmallHD is a 5" camera-shoe mount monitor with resolutions of 1920 x 1080. It is pricey. The Lilliput was $229.00 this item is $1119.00. But it appears promising. Of course buying it and offering a review would be the next step but my bankbook isn't big enough right now. Check it out at:

https://www.smallhd.com/lp/502/

Danilow

#4 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5342 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 04:18 PM

Lets look at this from a different perspective.

Why do you need a larger monitor that the camera has?

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him.

#5 Gary Worrall

Gary Worrall

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6688 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 07:57 PM

Lets look at this from a different perspective.

Why do you need a larger monitor that the camera has?

I'm thinking video?

- I have a photographic memory but never got it developed -

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users