The assignment was to shoot 4 pairs of sunglasses, to a very specific layout. It sounded easy - until we learned about the layout. To show that these were sunglasses, the light source had to show somewhere in each pair. Next, we had to make sure that the camera's reflection didn't show in the lens. Finally, we had to use some imagination.
Finding cheap sunglasses was easy, thanks to our neighbourhood Dollar Store. Finding sand was even easier, thanks to nearby Barnet Marine Park. Thanks to Angela's collection, the sea shells were the easiest of all.
This was far easier said than done. We had to meet all of those requirements while shooting to that very specific layout. To capture the reflection of the light source somewhere on the lens (thankfully, it didn't have to be in both lenses - whew!), each pair of sunglasses had to be arranged in very specific ways. If it was wrong, no reflection.
Shooting that layout without showing the camera reflection required positioning the camera very carefully. Simply putting it on a tripod would likely place the camera too far back, resulting in converging pairs of sunglasses. Same story if it is positioned too low. While my tripod lets me tilt the centre column, if the camera is placed too far forward, we will see it's reflection in the lenses. I pulled back just far enough to avoid the reflection without causing too much convergence.
I haven't even mentioned EXIF data or lighting, have I?
To light this, I used:
- 1 GODOX SK-300 strobe, mounted on a boom.
- A 5-in-1 diffuser directly below the strobe, held in place by 2 super clamps on light stands.
That's it. I originally tried reflector cards, but their reflections showed in the lenses, and they weren't providing additional light.
- 24-70/f2.8 @ 62mm
- 1/125 sec.
In Photoshop, I used the Radial Blur filter, to blur the reflection and make it more like the sun. I used LR for everything else, including contrast; clarity; texture; selective saturation adjustments; sharpening and a vignette.
My instructor really liked the shot, especially the reflections. His only suggestion was to warm it up a bit with a very slight white balance adjustment. That took about 30 seconds.
This assignment took a lot of work, but it was fun. Thanks for looking everyone.