• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21425 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 11 September 2015 - 03:56 PM

PART I (see post #2 below for PART II)

My grip on the F100 came loose on the left hand side.  I have documented, for possible future use, what is involved in the repair.  It is a piece of cake to do.

WARNING:  Nikon has STOPPED doing support and repairs, pretty much, on the F100.  If they have parts, and while they last, you can buy them.  Otherwise, you are OUT OF LUCK!

I will most likely purchase the Shutter button side grip, if they still have it and replace the original as well.

F100 BEFORE image

Attached File  F100_1.jpg   271.27KB   0 downloads

Peeled off the damaged grip.  It was coming UNGLUED.

Attached File  F100_2.jpg   318.42KB   0 downloads

Cleaned off the two sided tape goop with some 99 proof rubbing alcohol and Q-Tip

Attached File  F100_3.jpg   377.25KB   0 downloads

Prepared the new part by REMOVING the TAPE GUARD

Attached File  F100_4.jpg   419.95KB   0 downloads

Attached File  F100_5.jpg   422.52KB   0 downloads

and INSTALLED.  Just placed it in the spot it belongs, taking card to put it in place accurately. Very easy to accomplish.  Pressed down and....

GOOD AS NEW!!

Attached File  F100_6.jpg   380.3KB   0 downloads

If I acquire the shutter button side Grip, I will replace it and document it here as well....

Signature_Line_V4

#2 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21425 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 11 September 2015 - 03:58 PM

The image BELOW is the OLD Shutter Side Grip that I HOPE to also replace in about 2-3 weeks.  Takes about that long to get the part.

Attached File  F100_7.jpg   379.29KB   0 downloads

----------------------------------------

PART II ( This is the replacement of the SHUTTER BUTTON GRIP)

After doing the repair I described above, the camera looked weird, one half brand new, the other worn... so I opted to purchase the grip on the shutter button.

Here is the step by step of what I did....

Camera BEFORE and the "tools" needed....

Note, I am now using ZIPPO Lighter Fluid as Peter suggested.  Worked like a charm removing old two sided tape gunk.  See below.

Attached File  GripRepair_1.jpg   353.31KB   0 downloads

First step, the FILM BACK has to be removed before you do anything.  BE VERY CAREFUL as you now have the shutter mechanism exposed and you could easily damage it absentmindedly!!  CAUTION HERE until you put it back on.

The next step requires a little care with the SCREWS.  You have to remove a holding plate to get the grip off and to then secure the new grip after you put it back on.  BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THE TINY SCREWS!! I dropped one and couldn't find it for a minute and almost had a heart attack! Good luck getting another one!  Handle these with EXTREME CARE!

Attached File  GripRepair_2.jpg   264.78KB   0 downloads

This is what it looks like when you peel the old grip off. All the two sided tape remains stuck on the camera body and has to be removed.  I used Q-TIPS and ZIPPO Lighter Fluid to remove it.

Attached File  GripRepair_3.jpg   269.51KB   0 downloads

With the ZIPPO Lighter Fluid, the glue and goop comes off very easy and looks brand new when you are done!

Attached File  GripRepair_4.jpg   319.17KB   0 downloads

Peel the TAPE off the back of the new grip and start with the edge that goes under the bar you removed.  Be careful to line up the grip so it fits properly at this end, and it will simply roll into place with a little bending as you come around the shutter button grip.

Attached File  GripRepair_5.jpg   274.47KB   0 downloads

Press it in securely, especially around the edges and you are done.  My brand new looking Nikon F100.  Cost.... $30 total.

Attached File  GripRepair_6.jpg   355.52KB   0 downloads

---------------------------------------

SPECIAL THANKS to PN member Peter L!  Your patience having me over at your house to watch you change the seals on a Nikon camera and your guidance here was a huge help.  This job went smooth as silk.  Greatly appreciated.

Signature_Line_V4

#3 Peter

Peter

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 04:22 PM

Cleaned off the two sided tape goop with some 99 proof rubbing alcohol and Q-Tip

Art,

Nice tutorial. Just one caveat; read the label on your alcohol to make sure there is no acetone in it. If so, avoid using it and switch to lighter fluid.

Peter

• Art likes this

#4 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21425 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 04:27 PM

Art,

Nice tutorial. Just one caveat; read the label on your alcohol to make sure there is no acetone in it. If so, avoid using it and switch to lighter fluid.

Peter

OH BOY.

Maybe, ignorance is bliss here.... AFTER THE FACT.

Thanks for the heads up, Peter.  Lighter fluid.... roger that.  I remember, that is what you used when you showed me how to replace seals.

Any special brand or restrictions??

Signature_Line_V4

#5 Peter

Peter

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:05 PM

OH BOY.

Maybe, ignorance is bliss here.... AFTER THE FACT.

Thanks for the heads up, Peter.  Lighter fluid.... roger that.  I remember, that is what you used when you showed me how to replace seals.

Any special brand or restrictions??

It looks like you did fine with the alcohol. Assuming there may be some acetone in the alcohol if you use small quantities on a Q-tip and keep it away from any plastic it should work okay. But to be completely safe I would switch to lighter fluid. Ronsonol or Zippo work equally well.

Peter

Edited by Peter, 11 September 2015 - 07:08 PM.

• Art likes this

#6 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21425 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:58 PM

I have ZIPPO in the house as I have a least a couple of their lighters.  So, next time.  I did not saturate the Q-Tip when I cleaned the plastic and there is no damage I can ascertain, so I think I am good.

Again, thanks for the heads up for next time.

I must say, I was a little disappointed to hear they are no longer servicing the F100.  I am glad to hear the F5 and the F6 are still being fully serviced.  Might be time to have them cleaned and checked.  Food for thought.

Signature_Line_V4

#7 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15406 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:09 PM

99% alcohol. Everclear, moonshine vodka?

Nice job.
  • Art likes this

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#8 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23694 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:19 PM

The F6 is still a current model and Nikon will service 10 years after the date of discontinuation. The F100 is now just at the 10 year window but here in the states there are several very good non Nikon repair shops that will service the F100 KEH being one of them and they have tons of older bodies and parts. Actually Nikon USA will work on the F100 I called just to check the F100 was DC'd in 2006 the F5 was in 2004.

I am surprised the F5 is still serviceable since it is now 10 years past its discontinuation date.

jim 

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#9 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21425 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:54 PM

Dennis, 99% is what I use!

Jim,

I think, since the F5 was the jewel in the Crown, in it's day, it may be serviced longer than usual.  I just love the camera.  It is a TANK to hold. Specs are amazing.  Who knows, it may still have a serious following.  There must be a reason, but I am glad it is still being service.

F100 was 2006?  So, it should still be serviced!  I guess declining parts inventory dictated the decision. 

Does anyone know how Nikon International is run?  Are the different countries all part of Nikon Japan or separate entities, like dealerships.  I am curious as I find it strange Nikon Canada operates so much differently than Nikon USA.

I asked today about the D800/800e Service promo they are running in the USA.  They didn't have a clue, but it is not being offered in Canada.  I was also surprised at how big Nikon Canada is, huge building.  I had to drive around the back to find parking and they have quite the property here.

Signature_Line_V4

#10 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23694 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Posted 11 September 2015 - 11:27 PM

It sure does seem each regional Nikon distributor has different promos and rules. It seems Nikon Japan sets some general guidelines and the different Nikon regions go from there.

It might be due to the larger sales volumn in the U.S. Forcing Nikon USA to stock more spare parts.

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#11 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21425 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 11:51 PM

Jim, could very well be.  So these regions are all part of Nikon Corporation, they are not dealers, per say?

Answer my own question, I went here to have a look... quite the company!

http://nikon.com/abo...group/index.htm

Signature_Line_V4

#12 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23694 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 12:11 AM

Yes it's much larger than most think. We get a Nikon tech twice a year that calibrates all our Nikon Microscopes.

Plus Leica does our Cryostat Machines. Very pricey equipment. :P

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#13 Peter

Peter

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 08:01 AM

Dennis, 99% is what I use!

Careful guys... proof and percent are two very different beasts!!!

Peter

#14 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21425 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 03:49 PM

Thanks, Peter... wording error.  It is 99%.

Please see POST #2 again, I have added PART TWO... I changed the SHUTTER BUTTON SIDE GRIP as well.  More images and play by play in the original post.  Updated the name of the Topic to reflect it as well....

Signature_Line_V4

#15 Peter

Peter

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 05:50 PM

Thanks, Peter... wording error.  It is 99%.

WOW! 99% alcohol, where are you getting that? Not many retailers carry it at that concentration.

Peter

#16 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21425 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 06:11 PM

WOW! 99% alcohol, where are you getting that? Not many retailers carry it at that concentration.

Peter

COSTCO... 4 pak.

No kidding, can't find it anywhere!!  I have been using this as deodorant for years.  Put it in a spray bottle and spray!  No other percentage works. Luckily, Costco carries it.  They stopped for a while, then brought it back again.

Signature_Line_V4

#17 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23694 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 07:43 PM

Its not to hard they sell it here at Costco too and most of our pharmacies sell it. We use it in the medical field when doing slides we dip them to prep the slide in 100% or Absolute Alcohol(no not the drinking kind trust me)! 

Art do not light a match near your F100 for a few days!  :blink:  :lol:

Jim

• Art likes this

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#18 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21425 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 09:56 PM

Jim,

THANKS!! Probably shouldn't turn it on either!!! :lol:

I have attached a pic of what I buy!

Attached File  99%.jpg   462.13KB   0 downloads

You can't buy this everywhere in Toronto, because the homeless buy this bottle and ..... yes .... DRINK IT!!!!!!! :o

So, pharmacies and stores STOPPED carrying it because of this.

Costco also stopped carrying it for the same reason and then brought it back after enough people complained.  Homeless people are NOT Costco members!!

Signature_Line_V4

#19 Peter

Peter

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 07:01 AM

Art,

Good to know I can get it at Costco when my current 4L bottle of technical grade IPA I "borrowed" from my previous employer runs out.

Peter

P.S. They are supposedly building a Costco in Brantford, but like a lot of things in Brantford, it will probaly be one of the small stores with a limited product portfolio, so will therefore not carry this.

#20 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 21425 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 08:40 AM

Peter,

If we meet up at the RBG, I will gladly pick some up for you, just ask.  We are at Costco all the time, it would be no inconvenience should you wish to stock up.  I think the 4 pak is about $12.

Let me know.

Signature_Line_V4

#21 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19639 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 16 September 2015 - 01:23 PM

Thanks Art. 

• Art likes this

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users