• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1268 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 16 October 2017 - 06:18 PM

They both seem like decent starter cameras in the mirrorless dept and I'm strongly leaning towards the X-A3. Any good reasons to go with the X-T10 instead?

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#2 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23583 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 16 October 2017 - 07:58 PM

They both seem like decent starter cameras in the mirrorless dept and I'm strongly leaning towards the X-A3. Any good reasons to go with the X-T10 instead?

The X-T10 uses the Xtrans sensor that is fabulous the XA3 uses a standard bayer filter sensor. Plus the X-T10 has an excellent EVF viewfinder and better auto focus system. Now I have the rangefinder version of the X-T10 the XE-2 and I can tell you that the EVF is great and really helps I also have a XM-1 that is essentially the same as the XA3 except it has the Xtrans sensor and it is a very nice camera but the XE2 is better. If you can get them for the same price or close I would go with the X-T10.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#3 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1268 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Musician-bass, guitar, piano, lap steel, percussion. Audio Engineer-software & hardware platforms.

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:39 PM

Thanks for the info I wasn't aware of the sensor difference.

Nikon D-3300 18-55 VRII, 1971 Nikkor 135mm Q-Auto, Tamron 70-300 AF. Not much! But I'm working on mastering what I do have.

#4 nwcs

nwcs

Planet Citizen Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:11 AM

My brother got the X-A3 on my recommendation and I had a year with the X-T2 which is the big brother of the X-T20 and a year with the X-T1, the big brother of the X-T10. If you are not planning on doing raw processing then either one is fine for jpegs but you will get 24mp with the XA3 vs the T10. The XA3 is newer overall. The focus performance between the two isn’t all that different. The XA3 doesn’t have any PDAF points but the T10 does but I would say the T10 isn’t much better in focus than the A3.

Does the viewfinder matter? It depends on what you’re used to. If you are someone who always holds the camera to the eye then there’s no comparison - T10 would rock but the EVF is relatively small and in dimmer light it will stutter. If you’re looking for casual then the X-A3 is perfectly good and with a stabilized lens like the 16-50 or 18-55 you’ll be fine.

Do advanced features matter? The T10 has more customization than the A3.

Are you doing raw development? Then the A3 has the advantage. While x-trans has some theoretical benefits it also has some downsides when it comes to development. People have spent a LOT of money experimenting with other tools to find one that works well with x-trans. Each tool has been declared the winner by someone only to be dethroned by another. If you’re using mainstream stuff like Lightroom you’ll be happier with the A3 with the Bayer sensor. Is there a difference in image quality? No, I really don’t think so. Most of what people like about the “Fuji Colors” is the in-camera jpeg processing anyway.

Does a touch screen matter? Then it’s all A3.

Do firmware updates matter? The T10 is very unlikely to see another update and the A3 will probably only see a bug fix update if it gets one.

#5 Leaviathan

Leaviathan

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1268 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 03:59 PM

Thanks, lots to think about!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users