• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 JasonTO

JasonTO

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Interests:Photography Interests: Birds, mammals, reptiles, amphibians, fish, insects, mushrooms, landscapes, murals, sculptures, graffiti, architecture, monuments, etc.

Other interests: Archaeology, anthropology, paleoanthropology, archaeoastronomy, history, ancient history, mythology, folklore, geography, etc.

Posted 23 May 2017 - 02:51 PM

I made a light box last week and Art helped me choose some lighting. I finally had some time today to play around with it using some items lying around the house. This is the first time I've used a light box. 

My infinity wall is white but it's coming out gray in the pictures.

1. Various honey products I got over the weekend.

2. A gecko eggshell (it might be another reptile).

3. Fish jaws.

4. Drinking horn.

Attached Files

#2 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19718 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:23 PM

Jason,

Try longer shutter speed

Excellent first attempt, you are close. You need to throw more light....hence longer shutter

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#3 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19718 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:25 PM

Another option would be to use a diffuser that lets in more light...like onion paper or something similar.

#4 JasonTO

JasonTO

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Interests:Photography Interests: Birds, mammals, reptiles, amphibians, fish, insects, mushrooms, landscapes, murals, sculptures, graffiti, architecture, monuments, etc.

Other interests: Archaeology, anthropology, paleoanthropology, archaeoastronomy, history, ancient history, mythology, folklore, geography, etc.

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:46 PM

Thanks, Art. I'll try that next round.

#5 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 22680 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:06 PM

I'm at work and the monitor stinks but that aside it looks like an excellent first attempt better than most of mine. 

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

D700 w/MB-D10, D605 w/MB-D14, D200 w/MB-D200, D50, Coolpix P330.

Nikon 1 stuff: Nikon V1, Nikkor 10mm f2.8 pancake w/HN-N101 & HC-N101, Nikkor 10-30mm f3.5-5.6 w/HB-N101 Aspherical VR,, Nikkor 18.5mm f1.8 w/HB-N104, Nikon 1 FT-1, SB-N5 w/Polaroid Diffuser .

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D, Nikkor 18-35 f3.5-4.5 AF-D ED.

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG HSM, Tamron's SP 70-200 f2.8 LD Di IF/Macro BIM, Kenko Pro 300 1.4 TC DGX, Tokina 100 f2.8D Macro At-X.

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#6 JasonTO

JasonTO

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:10 PM

Thanks, Jim.

#7 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6570 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:19 AM

Looking good Jason.

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#8 JasonTO

JasonTO

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:55 AM

Thanks, Peter.

#9 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 14454 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:47 AM

Nice for your first attempt. Handheld or tripod?

They are all a tad soft. Not sure where the issue maybe coming from.

It will depend on the subject concerning light, as Art suggested, they all need a bit of light. The last is easy, if needs a light source from the front. Not very strong, it should make a thin highlight in the dark area in front.

The egg and the jaw looks to be flat, not enough contrast perhaps, or under exposed.

For the honey, my first attempt to change it would be to put a light in front, like the last.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group

Nikon D4, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#10 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6266 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:21 PM

Good first attempt, Jason.  Excellent composition.

Both Art and Dennis make good points.  Art suggested using onion paper.  I would suggest using cooking parchment paper, but Art and I might be talking about the same thing.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#11 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19718 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:38 PM

Good first attempt, Jason.  Excellent composition.

Both Art and Dennis make good points.  Art suggested using onion paper.  I would suggest using cooking parchment paper, but Art and I might be talking about the same thing.  :)

Yes!

I call it onion paper!

Had another thought .... BUBBLE WRAP!

Arlon did an excellent example of what it can do somewhere on PN .... Macro?

Check it out.

#12 JasonTO

JasonTO

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:39 PM

Thanks, Dennis and Mark.

I was using a monopod (I don't have a tripod...yet).

The honey and horn were done with my 18-55mm and I used a 70-200mm for the eggshell and teeth.

i didn't use a light at the front for any of the shots but I'll try that out. I have a nice verulux natural sunlight lamp that might work nice (as well as other bulbs).

Art, the bubble wrap sounds like an interesting trick, I'll have to try it. 

#13 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19718 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:52 PM

Remember, you can borrow my tripod, you are going to need it.

You can generate more light on the image with a slower shutter speed and wash out the background as well.

And ....  Randy is here now!  :D He just posted.

#14 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6266 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 09 June 2017 - 12:30 PM

Jason, sorry for being late with this, but better late than never.  

Art is absolutely correct about the need for a tripod.  My additional advice:  invest in a good one.  You'll never be sorry.  After years of using aluminum tripods, I finally bought a carbon fibre tripod over the Xmas holidays.  The giggle is that I've been using it mainly for still life photography.  Just started using outdoors now that the weather is getting nicer.  Love it.

If you're going to do more still life work, a light meter is another piece of gear to consider.  Last fall, I bought a Sekonic L308S.  Not very sophisticated, but appropriate for my skill level.  After last week's fun with child portraits, I decided to buy a flash sync cord, to get better readings.  Not available in Vancouver, but my LCS suggested trying Henry's.  Yes!  Art gave them a thumbs up when I ordered a soft box last fall, and I feel that their service is outstanding.  I'll bet they could help you get set up.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#15 JasonTO

JasonTO

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 03:39 PM

Thanks, Mark! I definitely need to use a tripod. I have a monopod but my hand isn't steady enough for slow shutter speeds.

I'll be investing in a tripod in the future; I'm still looking at makes and designs; rust-proof and weight will be an important factor as I do a lot of trekking in ravines, hilly areas, etc. Rust is also another factor as I do a lot of trekking in the winter, and in spring/summer in a lot of wet areas.

I've never used a light meter before and don't know much about them. I plan on doing more still life, I'm enjoying it a lot.

Henry's is a great store; I've always found their staff to be quite helpful and informative. I've never had a staff member try to direct me to a more expensive product just for a sale. Rather, they try to guide you towards exactly the product you need. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: light box, indoor photography, nikon d3100, toronto

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users