6 replies to this topic

#1 jonvn

jonvn

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 02:56 AM

I just recently made this panorama from a hill on the SF Bay near my home.  It's really really huge.  About 63mb!  There's also a smaller version that's only about 14mb.  These images are 106x10 inches or so.  

It covers about 180 degrees of the bay from mid Peninsula to about San Leandro on the East Bay.  

You can zoom in very close.  Lots of really cool details.  You can even see the very top of the Golden Gate Bridge, about 30 miles away.

I did this with a nikon 80-200 f2.8D lens at 200mm and my d800.  I stitched together about 20 images (I think that many) with Photoshop.

I want to see if I can get more detail out by maybe using a longer lens.  That has been problematic.

Warning:  While this works great on my Mac  it's killed my system when viewing it with Windows.

Since these are so big, I'm providing links to dropbox.  Just click on the link and download and you should be able to get them.  If you're curious about the location, there is GPS info in the image metadata.

63mb jpg:

https://www.dropbox....SFPano.jpg?dl=0

14mb jpg:

https://www.dropbox...._small.jpg?dl=0

#2 jonvn

jonvn

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:56 AM

Still needs lots of work...

#3 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23253 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 03 November 2014 - 06:31 PM

Still not bad better than most of my panos! :)

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#4 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6835 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 07:35 PM

Wow that is wide...what do you plan to do with it...have you got a wall long enough :)

Peter

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#5 jonvn

jonvn

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 02:20 AM

Ha.  No wall big enough for this. I suppose i could print this out somehow and turn it into a wallpaper trim type of thing, but otherwise I don't see much practical use for it. The only thing I can do with it is figure out how to make it better.  I want to have it as a 360 pano and have it a little taller.  The issue with it being taller has to do with my technique using the tripod and getting it level.  Because it's not exactly level I end up trimming a lot of the top and bottom off this.

Another problem is that these files are so huge it takes time to mess with them.  To make newer ones,  I've figured a few tricks for photoshop.  Since it's not being print, I convert the images to jpeg from raw and 72 DPI instead of 300.   I also make it 8 bits per channel instead of 16 or 32.  It really makes a massive difference.  The image goes from multiple gigabytes to being under 100mb in size.  

This particular one, though, is 300dpi and 16 bits per channel.  I think this is about as big as photoshop can handle for a jpg.  I have a bigger one now, and it's a TIFF file with LZW compression.  It is what Photoshop could handle.  I am sure there are software packages out there that will handle larger JPGs, but I have not yet bothered to look for any.

Edited by jonvn, 04 November 2014 - 08:19 AM.

#6 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20669 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:59 PM

Links don't work for me....

Signature_Line_V4

#7 jonvn

jonvn

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 03:16 PM

They don't?   That's odd.  You might get a "preview failed" message when you click on them.  You have to download the actual file and view it locally in a photo viewer.  It won't work via a web browser.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users