• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Competitive Target Shooting, Field Target - Rifle, PFT - Pistol Field Target, Indoor Silhouette, Cooking, Adult AirGuns, Computers, Martial Arts.

Posted 29 October 2014 - 10:41 AM

Do any of you have a Gitzo GT2532S tripod? If so would you mind posting a size comparison. I like to guage how hefty the legs are. They say it can support over 55lbs, so I'm assuming the legs are pretty beefy.

Thanks
Greg
SOME OF WHAT'S In MY GEAR BAGS

(1) Nikon D4 body fitted with leather grip (2) D3s bodies fitted with leather grips
Mamiya 645 with Lenses| Bellows | glass filters
Cambo Legend 4"x5" kit (Lenses | bag bellows | loupe | Sheet film holders..etc.)
Sony HVR-Z7U HDV Camcorder & DCR-DVD D650 HandyCam (just in case)

Nikon Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 f2.8 AF-S G ED VR Nikon Nikkor AF-S G IF-ED VR 300 mm F/2.8G VR IF G ED| AF Fisheye Nikkor 10.5mm f2.8 G ED | Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm|Nikon calls this the AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED | Fotodiox Pro Nikon Large Format 4x5 Adapter Minolta Flash Meter IV and Flash Meter III with various diffusers and a 5 degree spot meter attachment | Bogen 3051 tripod with 3047 HD 3-way head | Manfrotto 679B Monopod | BEIKE BK-45 Gimbal Head Neewer 110CM 43" 5-in-1 Collapsible Multi-Disc Reflectors (2) | Opteka RH-42 Reflector Holders (2) | Paul C Buff 22" Silver Beauty Dish & Diffuser | Photoflex medium and large Multi-Domes | Fotodiox 12"x 80" Strip Boxes with Egg Crates (2) | Shoot & DSLR Kit Wireless Flash Triggers | Zeikos White Balance Card Trio (white, black and 18%) | Calumet 32" and 44" Umbrellas (2 sets) | 5 White Lighting (P.Buff) Ultras with grids | barn doors | light stands | background stand | various seamless papers | Bogen 3085 Boom arms (2) | OCF: Nikon SB800 | Electronic and Manual Cable Releases | Tamarac MXS536801 & MXS536901 Memory/battery management wallets | 8-10 SanDisk CF Cards | Background Projector Box with patterns | HP Laptop (carried to location in camera case) | Calumet Pro Series RC1188 Rolling Camera Case | Cleaning kit | Muslin clamps | Color Gels | USB Cables | Lots of other stuff to keep this list shorter

#2 photojazz

photojazz

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19639 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:08 PM

I don't have one but looked at several images and the legs look beefy and can hold big cameras. I have a Manfratto 055xProb that I use with my Mamiya RB67 and the legs look similar.

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#3 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Competitive Target Shooting, Field Target - Rifle, PFT - Pistol Field Target, Indoor Silhouette, Cooking, Adult AirGuns, Computers, Martial Arts.

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:19 PM

I don't have one but looked at several images and the legs look beefy and can hold big cameras. I have a Manfratto 055xProb that I use with my Mamiya RB67 and the legs look similar.

Hey Jazz

Thanks for the input. I am not really sure because sometimes they just all look alike to me...lol!!

Thanks much!!

(1) Nikon D4 body fitted with leather grip (2) D3s bodies fitted with leather grips
Cambo Legend 4"x5" kit (Lenses | bag bellows | loupe | Sheet film holders..etc.)

Nikon Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 f2.8 AF-S G ED VR Nikon Nikkor AF-S G IF-ED VR 300 mm F/2.8G VR IF G ED| AF Fisheye Nikkor 10.5mm f2.8 G ED | Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm|Nikon calls this the AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED | Fotodiox Pro Nikon Large Format 4x5 Adapter Minolta Flash Meter IV and Flash Meter III with various diffusers and a 5 degree spot meter attachment | Bogen 3051 tripod with 3047 HD 3-way head | Manfrotto 679B Monopod | BEIKE BK-45 Gimbal Head Neewer 110CM 43" 5-in-1 Collapsible Multi-Disc Reflectors (2) | Opteka RH-42 Reflector Holders (2) | Paul C Buff 22" Silver Beauty Dish & Diffuser | Photoflex medium and large Multi-Domes | Fotodiox 12"x 80" Strip Boxes with Egg Crates (2) | Shoot & DSLR Kit Wireless Flash Triggers | Zeikos White Balance Card Trio (white, black and 18%) | Calumet 32" and 44" Umbrellas (2 sets) | 5 White Lighting (P.Buff) Ultras with grids | barn doors | light stands | background stand | various seamless papers | Bogen 3085 Boom arms (2) | OCF: Nikon SB800 | Electronic and Manual Cable Releases | Tamarac MXS536801 & MXS536901 Memory/battery management wallets | 8-10 SanDisk CF Cards | Background Projector Box with patterns | HP Laptop (carried to location in camera case) | Calumet Pro Series RC1188 Rolling Camera Case | Cleaning kit | Muslin clamps | Color Gels | USB Cables | Lots of other stuff to keep this list shorter

#4 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 02:08 PM

The Gitzo tripods use standard CF tubes in all tripods.  

Series 3

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

https://bowlesimages.com/

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

#5 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 02:08 PM

Starting with the largest tube, they are:

Series 5 - 41mm

Series 4 - 37mm

Series 3 - 32mm

Series 2 - 28mm

Series 1 - 24mm

Series 0 - 20mm

Smallest - 16mm

If you have a 4 section 3 series tripod, your leg sections are 32, 28, 24, and 20mm.

If you have a 4 section series 2, your sections are 28, 24, 20, and 16mm.

While the ballhead may support 50 pounds with its clamping power, I can't imagine putting more than 12 pounds of gear on a Series 3.  I have used a D800 body and a 600 f/4 lens on a series 3 - and it is barely adequate.  It really tops out with a 200-400 or similar weight at about 10 pounds.

I think someone simply made a mistake on the Gitzo table.  The Series 2, 3, and 4 Systematics have the same weight capacity of 55.12 pounds.  That might be technically true of the hub, but functionally is not reasonable.

It makes some difference on the height of the tripod.  For example, a Series 3 XLS has sections near the length of a 3 section tripod - but an extra section.  In practice, you would rarely extend the last section - and certainly not fully.  The longer sections are less stable, but the larger tubes are more stable and the effect is essentially offsetting.

Edited by ericbowles, 04 November 2014 - 02:22 PM.

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

https://bowlesimages.com/

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

#6 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 03:41 AM

Series 3

Thanks much

#7 gregc

gregc

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 03:47 AM

Starting with the largest tube, they are:

Series 5 - 41mm

Series 4 - 37mm

Series 3 - 32mm

Series 2 - 28mm

Series 1 - 24mm

Series 0 - 20mm

Smallest - 16mm

If you have a 4 section 3 series tripod, your leg sections are 32, 28, 24, and 20mm.

If you have a 4 section series 2, your sections are 28, 24, 20, and 16mm.

While the ballhead may support 50 pounds with its clamping power, I can't imagine putting more than 12 pounds of gear on a Series 3.  I have used a D800 body and a 600 f/4 lens on a series 3 - and it is barely adequate.  It really tops out with a 200-400 or similar weight at about 10 pounds.

I think someone simply made a mistake on the Gitzo table.  The Series 2, 3, and 4 Systematics have the same weight capacity of 55.12 pounds.  That might be technically true of the hub, but functionally is not reasonable.

It makes some difference on the height of the tripod.  For example, a Series 3 XLS has sections near the length of a 3 section tripod - but an extra section.  In practice, you would rarely extend the last section - and certainly not fully.  The longer sections are less stable, but the larger tubes are more stable and the effect is essentially offsetting.

I just pick up a S2 2532S, and the 55lbs thing had me buy a tripod that I know have to get rid of in the end. I looked at the max weight as opposed to them recommending out to 300mm and thought the 300 max was the error. But thenh when I see birder photo setups they seem to be using similar tripods in some cases. Maybe Gitzo need to clarify what works at what limits again?

Thanks for all the help!

#8 Ron W

Ron W

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7514 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:40 PM

Greg, I used to use a Gitzo 1325 with various Nikon cameras and a Nikkor 600 f/4 and it was adequate. Trying to figure Gitzo's sizing tables and nomenclature numbers generally would put me to sleep. For the last 3 or 4 years, I've been using a Really Right Stuff tripod and ball head. It is much more substantial and nicer cosmetically.

www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users