33 replies to this topic

#31 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5149 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 03:20 AM

Okay, so let's take a step back. What does mirrorless give you that a DSLR doesn't? Higher frame rate and the ability to use the viewfinder when shooting in situations where, with a DSLR, you'd need to lock the mirror up, like shooting video, correct?? Oh and eliminates mirror slap for long exposure stability.

What else??

It makes the camera slimmer which is nice if you like lightweight, compact systems, particularly when you're using smaller lenses.

You can preview your exposure/exposure compensation, chosen film simulation, DoF, histogram, MF Focus Peaking etc etc all live before and during taking a shot. I can't emphasise this one enough. I have used the exp/comp dial more nice getting a mirrorless system than in the previous 40 years of using a camera, it is now so intuitive I tweak the histogram on more shots than I don't.

You're not to limited to one brand of lens fitting - you can buy £15 adapters to fit just about anything you can possibly imagine on the front and still retain both infinity focus and full metering.

On sensor AF isn't limited to a narrow area like most phase detect systems so you can place your chosen point anywhere in the frame - like live view on a DSLR but without the handicaps that come with it.

Apparently with this new Sony - NO - viewfinder blackout which if that is the case is a major leap forward....if we carefully step around viewfinder systems and TLR's of course  ;)

Never trust a hug. It's just a way to hide your face.

Instagram

#32 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5371 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 22 April 2017 - 01:13 PM

You're not to limited to one brand of lens fitting - you can buy £15 adapters to fit just about anything you can possibly imagine on the front and still retain both infinity focus and full metering.

Thanks for confirming this, BP.  

These adaptors are why I won't freak out about the rise of mirrorless cameras.  Right now, I'm very happy with the D810.  However, if my future requirements change; or if a mirrorless camera comes along that is just too good to ignore, it's really nice to know that I won't have to sell my current glass at garage sale prices, then re-mortgage our home, to buy compatible glass. 

Warning to Nikon:  these adapters are why it would be a serious mistake for you to assume that folks like me have too much invested in glass to ever make a change.  B)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#33 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5149 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:11 AM

It is quite the opposite and quite depressing to be honest.

Back in the day we bought and sold cheap Carl Zeiss Jena lenses, those from basic Praktica systems, the 'junk' as you'd refer to it at the time from Helios and Pentacon etc for a few pounds. Literally the trade in value of a Helios 58/2 would be £2 and we'd sell it on for £4 or so - or just give it away on a body and write the cost off.

Today those lenses - because of mirrorless systems being able to use them and because people (like myself) want to experiment with weird bokeh and unusual looks - are selling for anywhere between £20 and £100. Some of the rarer (you could argue better ones) can sell for hundreds and hundreds of pounds. Its enough to make a grown man weep at the though of all the ones we had in boxes and hated that they took up space on our shelves in the rear of the store. Same goes for old Pentax fit lenses. Some of the old stuff that again traded for a few pounds are going for astronomical prices as pretty much all Pentax DSLR's will take and use them. 

Nikon are mental to be honest - if they made more of their bodies compatible with MF lenses (don't get me started on the D7500 again) then the value of the stuff we all have lying about would rocket and the interest around the brand would leap.

Edited by Black Pearl, Yesterday, 03:13 AM.

Never trust a hug. It's just a way to hide your face.

Instagram

#34 justshootit

justshootit

Galactic Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3865 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, travelogues, aircraft photography.

Posted Yesterday, 06:52 PM

Hmmm.  I thought BP had a post up here where he talked about getting the histogram right before he took the shot, and a few other advantages I hadn't thought of.  Not sure where that is, but it had some great stuff in it.

Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users