• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 photojazz

photojazz

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19626 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 30 September 2008 - 08:22 AM

Okay, I am sitting here working and relaxing after a 1 hour physical fitness trip and my photo store owner bud calls me and sneakinly suggests that he has a brand new Fuji S5 with 3yr warranty that he wants to sell for around 600 euro but for me he would let it go for 400 euro. :rolleyes: Most of you know that I have been lusting after one of these wonderful DR and IQ cameras for the past year. But I recently added a D200 and after the photo sessions this past weekend and last nite, I am in love with Da 200 and I don't know what I should do. :blink: Until I hear from my PN family, gonna do some web surfing to do some research on this camera thingie.:unsure: Okay let me have it.....be a lil brutal if u must..... :D

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#2 Virgil

Virgil

Galactic Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2042 posts
  • Interests:my family, photography, everything thatīs fast, my Triumph bike

Posted 30 September 2008 - 08:56 AM

I donīt see the benefit of a Fuji in general as the dynamic range extention (compared to older sensors like the D200) happens in the highlights where it is of not to much use in my opinion. Appart from that iīm pretty sure that with some post you can achive similar results with the D200. Compared to the most recent Nikon bodies there is definately no reason to even consider a Fuji or only in the case youīd like to have something exotic not often seen in the real world. just my 2-cents
Cheers

Virgil

#3 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19626 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 30 September 2008 - 09:08 AM

Virgil, thanks your comments are greatly appreciated. Awhile back I tested the S5 and was really impressed with the results. I still have and use my Fuji S7000 from time to time. and I love the images it produces. I am probably just dreaming again but next week, I will have a couple of days to play with it. We will see... :huh:

PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#4 justshootit

justshootit

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4253 posts
  • Interests:Event photography, candids, getting photos of people at their best.

Posted 30 September 2008 - 05:59 PM

Jazz, I've heard that the S5 is not a fast camera -- its card-write speed is pretty slow. You might want to give it a little more of a workout before you buy. Don
Don
==========================================================
Digital: D610 backed up by a D1x.  Quoted from an unknown source by a fellow planeteer, "Never get rid of a working D1x." I've got to agree.

Film: N90s, F3, F100, F4s, C330s. A few lenses.

Why film photography? I like shooting with the equipment. 6x6 Velvia slides from a C330 have an appeal all their own.

Why automated 35mm/Digital cameras? Event photography is about capturing moments. It often requires quick response. Well done automaton can be your friend or your enemy. It all depends on knowing what it can and can't do. "A man's got to know his (camera's) limitations." paraphrasing Dirty Harry...

#5 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19626 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 02:49 AM

Thanks Don. I have also read about the slow access speeds. I will have the S5 for two weeks and plan to do some heavy testing on it. :unsure:

PlanetNikon Member 141

Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#6 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19626 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 02:42 AM

After very much research, I have decided not to pursue purchasing the Fuji S5. A really nice camera but my next year's purchase will be the D700. Thanks all for infomation on the S5. ;)

PlanetNikon Member 141

Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users