• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 JasonTO

JasonTO

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Interests:Photography Interests: Birds, mammals, reptiles, amphibians, fish, insects, mushrooms, landscapes, murals, sculptures, graffiti, architecture, monuments, etc.

Other interests: Archaeology, anthropology, paleoanthropology, archaeoastronomy, history, ancient history, mythology, folklore, geography, etc.

Posted 02 July 2017 - 04:02 AM

I went down to the Toronto Harbourfront to see the blow-up doll, I mean "rubber" ducky . The duck was docked at HTO Park East. I went to HTO Park West first to get some unique angles. Anyways, as I was taking shots, a beaver swam by me towards the area of the duck. By the time I got to HTO Park East (a five minute walk) the beaver was nowhere to be seen.

It was kind of ironic to see something truly Canadian and iconic amidst all the controversy surrounding the duck (copyright dispute between artists, nothing Canadian or historical about it, could've got it free from original artist but paid $120,000 to the plagiarizer, etc.). Also, it's not often one gets to see a beaver in Lake Ontario. 

Attached Files

Edited by JasonTO, 02 July 2017 - 04:04 AM.

#2 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19349 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 02 July 2017 - 12:59 PM

Only in Canada, eh!

:lol:

Might try to get down there tomorrow morning, early.

Any suggestions?

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#3 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6075 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:11 PM

Nice comparison, Jason.

I'll take the Beaver any time, even if the City of Coquitlam considers them to be a bit of a nuisance.  As for the Blow-up Doll, did you happen to bring a large pin with you?  :lol:

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#4 JasonTO

JasonTO

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Interests:Photography Interests: Birds, mammals, reptiles, amphibians, fish, insects, mushrooms, landscapes, murals, sculptures, graffiti, architecture, monuments, etc.

Other interests: Archaeology, anthropology, paleoanthropology, archaeoastronomy, history, ancient history, mythology, folklore, geography, etc.

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:51 PM

Only in Canada, eh!

Might try to get down there tomorrow morning, early.

Any suggestions?

I went early because it was overcast. However, if it's not overcast the sun will be beaming brightly on it from behind so you'll be shooting into the sun if you try to get a shot from the front. 

If you don't want to mingle with the crowds, you can get a perfect shot from HTO Park West on the other side. I stood right on the edge and it was a direct line down (the shot I attached is from that angle with my 200). No people can get in the way either since HTO Park East is flooded and a large portion is barricaded and no one can approach the duck. HTO East was full of people at 9 am and it was the usual Torontonian courtesy of people walking in front of your shot or walking into you as you're trying to take a shot...

For best lighting, I'd probably say late afternoon. I also saw some half decent night shots (it looks better lit up at night than during the day).

Attached Files

Edited by JasonTO, 02 July 2017 - 01:56 PM.

#5 JasonTO

JasonTO

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:54 PM

Nice comparison, Jason.

I'll take the Beaver any time, even if the City of Coquitlam considers them to be a bit of a nuisance.  As for the Blow-up Doll, did you happen to bring a large pin with you?  :lol:

Thanks, Mark.

In the 50's or 60's (before I was born), one of the ideas circulating in City Council to cure the "beaver problem" was to cut down all the trees along the waterfront lol...we've come a long way.

When I saw the beaver swimming towards the duck, I thought to myself, "It'd be so funny if it started biting away at it and the thing popped." But, alas, no such luck... :D

#6 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6075 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 11:49 AM

Thanks, Mark.

In the 50's or 60's (before I was born), one of the ideas circulating in City Council to cure the "beaver problem" was to cut down all the trees along the waterfront lol...we've come a long way.

When I saw the beaver swimming towards the duck, I thought to myself, "It'd be so funny if it started biting away at it and the thing popped." But, alas, no such luck... :D

Most cities in Metro Vancouver just put wire mesh around the base of the trees.  It seems to work, even if it doesn't look too good.

As for the beaver biting at ducky, he probably took one look at it, and couldn't stop laughing.  :lol:

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#7 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 22441 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 03 July 2017 - 12:22 PM

Wow what a strange story. Nice series Jason and thanks for the info.

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

D700 w/MB-D10, D605 w/MB-D14, D200 w/MB-D200, D50, Coolpix P330.

Nikon 1 stuff: Nikon V1, Nikkor 10mm f2.8 pancake w/HN-N101 & HC-N101, Nikkor 10-30mm f3.5-5.6 w/HB-N101 Aspherical VR,, Nikkor 18.5mm f1.8 w/HB-N104, Nikon 1 FT-1, SB-N5 w/Polaroid Diffuser .

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D, Nikkor 18-35 f3.5-4.5 AF-D ED.

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG HSM, Tamron's SP 70-200 f2.8 LD Di IF/Macro BIM, Kenko Pro 300 1.4 TC DGX, Tokina 100 f2.8D Macro At-X.

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#8 JasonTO

JasonTO

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 12:24 PM

Thanks, Jim :)

#9 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 22441 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Posted 03 July 2017 - 12:25 PM

Surprised they don't have one of these signs posted. :lol:

Jim

Attached Files

Nikon 1 stuff: Nikon V1, Nikkor 10mm f2.8 pancake w/HN-N101 & HC-N101, Nikkor 10-30mm f3.5-5.6 w/HB-N101 Aspherical VR,, Nikkor 18.5mm f1.8 w/HB-N104, Nikon 1 FT-1, SB-N5 w/Polaroid Diffuser .

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D, Nikkor 18-35 f3.5-4.5 AF-D ED.

Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG HSM, Tamron's SP 70-200 f2.8 LD Di IF/Macro BIM, Kenko Pro 300 1.4 TC DGX, Tokina 100 f2.8D Macro At-X.

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#10 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 22441 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 12:26 PM

Jason what is the rock/stone formation is it supposed to be a Stonehedge replica it? 

Jim

#11 Herman

Herman

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9756 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, flight simulation, nature, photography and travel

Posted 03 July 2017 - 03:23 PM

Nice series, Jason.

I believe it was originally created / designed in The Netherlands by a Dutch Public Artist. Nice to see it floating in Toronto... quack, quack, quack!

:D  PS. I would have considered a Canada Goose more appropriate for the occasion!   :lol: 

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#12 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19349 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 03 July 2017 - 09:54 PM

Thanks, Jason.

I went down, early in the morning.  Maggie dropped me off then picked me up.

Whoop-Dee-Do.  Much to do about nothing.

I took about 20 pictures for people who stopped and asked me to take their portrait!   :lol: "ask the guy with the BIG CAMERA"!  Heard that a few times.  I guess they figured I wouldn't run off with their cell phone!!!

#13 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19349 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 09:57 PM

Nice series, Jason.

I believe it was originally created / designed in The Netherlands by a Dutch Public Artist. Nice to see it floating in Toronto... quack, quack, quack!

:D  PS. I would have considered a Canada Goose more appropriate for the occasion!   :lol: 

Seriously... you would think, wouldn't you!  OR A BEAVER!  Our National Animal.

Nope... rubber duck.

#14 JasonTO

JasonTO

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 01:28 AM

Jason what is the rock/stone formation is it supposed to be a Stonehedge replica it? 

Jim

Jim, this is the one structure in Toronto that I can't find information about. There is no plaque nor is it in any of the Toronto sculpture books that I have. It looks like an imitation of Stonehenge.

We do have a phenomenon called Torontohenge which is when the setting sun aligns perfectly with Toronto's east and west streets. It happens twice a year which is funny because our city is slanted (i.e. true north is off several degrees of  Yonge St which is our "north/south marker").

#15 JasonTO

JasonTO

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 01:40 AM

Nice series, Jason.

Thanks, Herman :)

There has been an ongoing copyright dispute between the original artist and the maker of this one for a few years, now.

Our coins should've been an easy clue for those who chose the duck since a variety of iconic Canadian animals are depicted (beaver, loon, polar bear, caribou)

The Draken Harald Hårfagre that they brought to HTO Park last Canada Day would've been more iconic than the duck since some Vikings settled in Newfoundland briefly around 1000 AD.

When it comes to decision making in our Parliament, Voltaire's quote comes to mind, "Common sense is not so common." :D

Attached Files

Edited by JasonTO, 04 July 2017 - 01:51 AM.

#16 JasonTO

JasonTO

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 01:45 AM

Thanks, Jason.

I went down, early in the morning.  Maggie dropped me off then picked me up.

Whoop-Dee-Do.  Much to do about nothing.

I took about 20 pictures for people who stopped and asked me to take their portrait!   :lol: "ask the guy with the BIG CAMERA"!  Heard that a few times.  I guess they figured I wouldn't run off with their cell phone!!!

We came, we saw, we left :D

I get that all the time, too, minus the "big camera" comment lol

#17 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19349 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:23 PM

We came, we saw, we left :D

I get that all the time, too, minus the "big camera" comment lol

That pretty much sums it up.

No Cool-Aid to drink....

#18 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6075 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:16 PM

Believe it or not, there is a sequel to this.

https://www.thestar....-after-all.html

Who knew?  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#19 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 19349 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:39 PM

S P I N

All spin.

Waste of Taxpayer money.  I wonder how many people were coming to Toronto and the Festival, duck or no duck?

There is the $120,000 question.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beaver, duck, toronto, nikon d3100, lake ontario, hto park

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users