• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24090 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 14 October 2017 - 07:22 PM

I bought Macphun Luminar and I bought a 1 year prepaid Adobe CC subscription to let me learn Macphun and all its excellent features yet still have access to LR and Photoshop. This gives Macphun a year to add lens correction, distortion control and a organizer. They list these features as coming so if they come and it works well then when LR CC comes up for renewal I can let it go. But right now I really like Macphun it is just messing a few things I really like and need . 

Now why didn't just buy LR6 well its been out a long time so I wanted to wait to see if LR7(or what ever they call it) comes out over the next year so I can buy the newest version without having to upgrade, and yet I do not have that trickle of money coming out of my account that drives me nuts. At least I feel like I own it for at least a year now, I know no difference but in my mind it seems better.

Yes I kicked the can down the road sort of. :P

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#2 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7535 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 11:02 PM

Yep I am waiting to see if LR gets an update for D850.... or I'm off to Luminar.... :rolleyes: :P

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#3 Art

Art

• Moderators
  • 22013 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:36 AM

As I have stated many times, I can't stand Adobe due to my business dealings with them for a decade and for the buggy garbage they have sold me over the years.

Only, when they are the last option on the planet, will I consider them.

I use NIK
and MacPhun
And still use NX2

Works for me until further notice.

Sucking money out of my wallet every month is not for me!
Signature_Line_V4

#4 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15787 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 15 October 2017 - 08:49 AM

Luminar is more like the nic plug-ins where. Why Im still on adobe is for is because of the organizer. Also at the moment, I use PS for the texturizing that Im doing.

The cloud I also use. I can show clients online their proofs. My iPad is synced with my windows LR. And I have a second website using the cloud. Luminar will be office sometime soon on Windows. And now, onOne has a product that can do a lot of the cloud linking using google drive or drop box as the sync mechanism. But, that will be an extra cost monthly.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#5 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 24090 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Posted 15 October 2017 - 08:51 AM

"Sucking money out of my wallet every month is not for me!"

That is what was bothering me it just didn't sit well watching month after month of seeing Adobe show up on my bank statement. Yes it was only $11 but it still annoyed me now I won't see that for a year if LR6 is updated then I might go that route but if Macphun improves on an already good start I might go that route either way I have a year to figure it out now. I truly understand that I just paid the same for a year of CC but now I don't have to look at Adobe on my bank statement for a year.

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#6 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 7989 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 15 October 2017 - 12:18 PM

Sucking money out of my wallet every month is not for me!

You are not alone in how you feel about Adobe, Art.  However, while PS is not the most intuitive product out there, I haven't had any bad experiences.  Hitting a snag or two has taught me a lot about photography in general and PS in particular.  Vive la difference!

Before I chose Adobe CC, I worked out the cost of a stand-alone versus the annual cost of subscription.  The results were pretty close.  The deciding factor was that the subscription gave me updates.  It's worked pretty well until the D850 came along.

I haven't tried MacPhun yet because Nik is still available to me.  Sadly, I suspect that Nik will die as soon as I upgrade to High Sierra (BP has already upgraded, so perhaps he can pass along a status report?).  When this happens, I will give MacPhun a serious trial.

While MacPhun doesn't have Nik's control points, I like what I see.  I also like that it works as either a stand-alone or as a plug-in for PS and LR.  I would already be trying it if we didn't have an accelerated bathroom reno, plus helping our son buy his first place.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#7 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5342 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:57 AM

I bought Macphun Luminar and I bought a 1 year prepaid Adobe CC subscription to let me learn Macphun and all its excellent features yet still have access to LR and Photoshop. This gives Macphun a year to add lens correction, distortion control and a organizer. They list these features as coming so if they come and it works well then when LR CC comes up for renewal I can let it go. But right now I really like Macphun it is just messing a few things I really like and need . 

Now why didn't just buy LR6 well its been out a long time so I wanted to wait to see if LR7(or what ever they call it) comes out over the next year so I can buy the newest version without having to upgrade, and yet I do not have that trickle of money coming out of my account that drives me nuts. At least I feel like I own it for at least a year now, I know no difference but in my mind it seems better.

Yes I kicked the can down the road sort of. :P

Jim

Lightroom and ACR have lens modules built in already - with your Fuji RAF files they are applied directly from the original Fuji data embedded in the EXIF as the file is initially rendered meaning you can just forget all about lens corrections and edit your images knowing they look the way Fuji intended them to.

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him.

#8 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5342 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 02:11 AM

I don't get the issue with Adobe CC being subscription based.

We pay monthly for our phones, TV, internet, mobile data etc etc and if we stop paying we stop receiving the service - an extra £10 per month for computer based software, cloud data and (incredible) mobile software seems entirely reasonable.

For me its all about workflow, convenience and feature rich editing. Importing into Lightroom automatically saves my files into a database where I can find them easily, it automatically creates a second copy should something go wrong with my main drive, it automatically applies Fuji film simulations to my raw data, it automatically corrects all my Fuji lenses based on Fuji's embedded computations and it even automatically ejects the card so I can pull it out without the Mac moaning that I haven't right clicked it. Lightroom offers me 80% of the tools I need to create images the way I like - however it handles plug-ins smoothly creating copies so I'm not affecting original edits - that makes up a few more percentages and it is fully integrated into Photoshop meaning a key-press fires it across, a key-press creates separate edit files as I go along and a key-press gets it back into my library for future use. 

It is seamless, fast, intuitive, immensely powerful and costs the same as a decent bottle of wine.

I fully understand that there are a myriad of other options for creating our images but I can't think of any that are complete workflows - for me that is king.

#9 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 5342 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 02:17 AM

Sadly, I suspect that Nik will die as soon as I upgrade to High Sierra (BP has already upgraded, so perhaps he can pass along a status report?).  

The update is working well and all my software continues to operate - to be fair HS is more of a background tweak than a full blown new OS.

#10 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 06:12 AM

I originally hesitated on the Adobe CC plan, but I've been very happy with it over time.  Lightroom Classic (the new name) is working well for me.  It does a very good job with D850 images.

Lightroom CC - the new program - is geared to a completely new mobile workflow.  It is very different in that images are housed on the Adobe Cloud rather than on your own hardware.  Don't install this version unless you are sure it is what you want.  You certainly don't want to have it try to upload your entire catalog to the cloud.  

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

https://bowlesimages.com/

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

#11 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 7989 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:38 PM

I'll be sticking with LR Classic CC.  

While I have nothing against cloud-based subscriptions (actually, don't mind them at all), Adobe's invitation to "install" the new Lightroom CC is a sneaky way to pry more money out of subscribers.

I would seriously consider MacPhun if Adobe ever gets rid of LR Classic CC.  I might even have to do it sooner when the Nik Collection finally dies (thankfully, appears to work in High Sierra).   :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#12 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 24090 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:47 PM

While I have nothing against cloud-based subscriptions (actually, don't mind them at all), Adobe's invitation to "install" the new Lightroom CC is a sneaky way to pry more money out of subscribers.

I would seriously consider MacPhun if Adobe ever gets rid of LR Classic CC.  I might even have to do it sooner when the Nik Collection finally dies (thankfully, appears to work in High Sierra).   :)

That's where I stand, if I hadn't been on this site I am not sure I would have caught the difference initially LR CC Classic vs the new version.

To answer BP I try to have as few things coming out of my account as possible automatically as possible. We truthfully only have our phone that comes out automatically we do the rest online manually. 

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#13 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15787 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:56 PM

If one was considering going to some other software. I would think, you would need to get the other software soon. Not because I bleive adobe is going to pull the plug. But because I would have to learn the new one, and having a TB or more, will take a while to switch over. Unless all the other softwares will have a conversation process, you would have to reapply all the edits.

If adobe is truly planning of dropping desktop for cloud only, that will be s total mess. Up until this point, I was ok with the subscription. And even though I dont have LR6, its rather concerning that adobe dropped stand alone when they said they will maintain it, means I cant really trust their word when they say they will keep the desktop alive.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

Nikon Z7 (My wifes, but I'm allowed to use it once a quarter), Z6, D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#14 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 7535 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 05:41 PM

LR Classic CC IS a monthly/annual subscription thing Mark... the so called upgrade for LR6 is a "replacement" of LR6 with the new pay as you go LR Classic CC.

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#15 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 24090 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:06 PM

So the stand alone is dead?

Thats why every LR edit I exported a full res JPEG on another external drive.

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#16 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15787 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:22 PM

Yes, LR6 will get its last updated Oct 26

Thanks, Dennis.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#17 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 24090 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:48 PM

Thats not good. So their only stand alone is the new Elements.

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#18 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15787 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 08:03 PM

Yeah

Thanks, Dennis.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#19 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 24090 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 08:20 PM

I havent been on Lightroom in a few days I prepaid my photography subscription for a year when I log on will it be obvious that Im on the LR Classic?

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#20 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 24090 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 08:21 PM

Glad I also bought Macphun this gives me a year to learn and decide.

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#21 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15787 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 08:25 PM

Depends. If you downloaded it before yesterday, you have the desktop version. It will let you know to update to classic. Its pretty easy. Just look for the classic in the name.

Thanks, Dennis.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#22 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 24090 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 08:27 PM

I did Dennis thank you. Been working long hours so havent done any photo stuff the last few days.

Jim

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#23 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 24090 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 12:16 AM

Well it seemed to load and find all my photos without any issues it did update my catalog so at least that was painless.

Jim 

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

#24 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19639 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 21 October 2017 - 01:39 AM

Okay..more confused..here I go..Been using LR since the first Beta in 2006, right OD. I think we started the same time. I don't mind paying $10 a month for LR and PS as I use both for my monthly photo/video work which pays the Adobe bill. But now I am confused as on my MacBook, I have LR Classic and CC or vice versa. Here I go again, asking my family..will  be charged twice? I have the iPhone 8+ and iPad Pro and wanting to do work with both. Cloud storage I am familar with and use.

Asking my family what is going on?

Da Jazzer Wants To Know???????

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#25 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 7989 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 01:06 PM

LR Classic CC IS a monthly/annual subscription thing Mark... the so called upgrade for LR6 is a "replacement" of LR6 with the new pay as you go LR Classic CC.

Until I actually do the upgrade, I guess I'm still using Lightroom CC.  I've had no problems with the subscription, but I haven't used the cloud part of it. 

I have 4 big issues with this roll out:

1. Huge confusion over product names.  From what I have read, my version of Lightroom CC will become Lightroom Classic CC.  Meanwhile, the new product becomes Lightroom CC.  I think it's deliberate.  Go ahead, Mark.  Click that Install button and we have you!  An extra $10 USD per month.  That is just plain underhanded. 
  2. Adobe has placed the above Install button in between the Update links for PS, LR Classic CC and ACR.  If users aren't paying attention, they may mistake it for an Update button and click it.  Then they either pay $10 USD per month or Adobe uninstalls EVERYTHING.
  3. Cloud Storage is a lesser irritant.  Dropbox already gives me more cloud storage than I presently need.  An added benefit is that it lets me store photos and import them directly into Lightroom.  As long as I can continue to import from Dropbox into whatever version of LR that I happen to be using, that's OK.  However, if I have to choose between LR and Dropbox, it might be goodbye, LR.  I have US clients, and Dropbox allows me to quickly share documents and reports.   I don't think that Adobe's Cloud will let me store and share documents; and I don't think that it will give me 1TB of storage space at the same low price.
  4. I never used Lr as a stand-alone, but the decision to abandon LR as a stand-alone raises a question of trust.  If Adobe can break a promise like that, how can they be trusted on anything going forward?  I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

For me, Adobe is on Probation.  We'll see where this goes over the next few years.  <_<

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#26 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15787 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 01:09 PM

No, the $10 a month includes the two new versions.

On your desktop run the classic, and remove the LRCC. And run LRCC on the mobiles. Share (sync) the collections you need to access from the desktop.

Right now you can share(sync) up to 20gigs.

Note, although adobe and some others say you can do the same on LRCC as you can with classic, thats not ture.

Thanks, Dennis.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#27 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 7989 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 01:10 PM

Okay..more confused..here I go..Been using LR since the first Beta in 2006, right OD. I think we started the same time. I don't mind paying $10 a month for LR and PS as I use both for my monthly photo/video work which pays the Adobe bill. But now I am confused as on my MacBook, I have LR Classic and CC or vice versa. Here I go again, asking my family..will  be charged twice? I have the iPhone 8+ and iPad Pro and wanting to do work with both. Cloud storage I am familar with and use.

Asking my family what is going on?

Da Jazzer Wants To Know???????

PJ, from what I've read, yes, you would be charged for both Lightroom CC (new product) and Lightroom Classic CC (old product).  I think the confusion is deliberate by Adobe; and down right underhanded.  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#28 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • 7989 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 01:12 PM

No, the $10 a month includes the two new versions.

Dennis, are you sure?  Seriously?

Is this for a trial period; or some introductory offer for existing subscribers?

Mark

D810
Various lenses

#29 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15787 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 01:20 PM

Yes, Im sure. I only pay the same $10/m. Before all this, I have done what they have been saying now. The only difference was the mobile apps were not on the desktop.

Now LRCC is part of the photographer package, and you have a fix cloud of 20gigs. LR classic still syncs, and I still see them on my iPhone/iPad. If I make edits on them, it showed up on classic.

If you decide to go cloud based, the the price will go up. But, DSLR users should not go that route.

Thanks, Dennis.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

#30 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15787 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 01:23 PM

One more, LRCC, across the board doubt support plugins.

It doesnt have all the things you can do with LR classic. No matter what Adobe says.

Thanks, Dennis.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users