4 replies to this topic

#1 Rick Paul

Rick Paul

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 12:21 AM

I started this thread for Photographers who are just starting in Stock, to share our trials, tribulations, successes, and failures. I am starting to have some success. I am now listed with 3 of the agencies (Fotolia, Dreamstime, and istockphoto), and my photo's are starting to sell. So far, my most popular image is of an Irish Setter from a dog show recently. I have sold at least one image on each of the 3 sites, which isn't bad consider I only have about 24 unique images up at the moment (not all have accepted all 24). I am averaging about a 50% acceptance rate. Like everyone, it is frustrating to have an image accepted by one site, and rejected by others. Especially on an image I worked hard to produce specifically for stock purposes. But this is a subjective business, not a a science! In general, I like istock's rejections the best. So far, they are giving me the most explicit reasons why, and that helps. What is most curious is I have 1 picture in particular that is generating lots of "hits". People are looking at it, but just not buying it! I am not uploading any at the moment because I'm trying to perfect some lighting techniques for some still life shots, and I'll be working on some landscape shots here in the desert over my Christmas vacation. Two of my Saugaro Cactus pictures have sold, and have been attracting attention on all three sites. So I'll give them more cactus! (lots of that in Tucson, Arizona!). Anyway, I'd like to hear from other new Stock Photographers, and hear what's been working and not working for you. Here's my number #1 stock photo at the moment:

Attached Files

Visit me on Facebook and Twitter!

#2 photojazz

photojazz

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19342 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 21 December 2006 - 06:08 AM

Congrats on your success!! I have not ventured into this area yet, but "She Who Must Be Obeyed" wants to know when will she start reaping the benefits from all mthat camera stuff in our basement!!! :unsure:

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

Member of the following organizations:

American Society of Media Professionals

Fairmount Photo Club

NYI PhotoWorld Magazine

Photographic Society of Philadelphia

Philadelphia Photo League (PPL)

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!
New website coming soon!

#3 Rick Paul

Rick Paul

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 21 December 2006 - 09:36 AM

Jump in, the water is fine! Suggest reading Darrell's articles and other threads on stock submission. Also, look at the most popular files on the sites to see what's selling. For starting out, Fotolia is definitely the easiest and most forgiving. As an update, my dog image above is selling "like hotcakes!". I sold another copy this morning. I've sold 3 copies in 24 hours! Somebody likes Irish Setters! I think I need to visit more dog shows...!

#4 DigitalDarrell

DigitalDarrell

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3512 posts

Posted 25 December 2006 - 03:59 PM

That's really nice shot, Rick! I've found that animal shots of any type seem to sell well. Another of our members TimZ does a lot of bird imaging and seems to do well on Shutterstock. Tim, how well do you do on the other sites?
Best regards,
Darrell Young (Digital Darrell)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Better too many words than not enough understanding." - Darrell Young
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bodies
: Nikon D810, D800, D750, D600, D2X, COOLPIX A, D100, F80, FM, EM, Olympus OM-D E-M1, Olympus OM-D E-M10
Lenses
: AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G, AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition (for Df), AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G VR (x2), AF-S Nikkor DX 16-85mm f/3.5-4.5G VR, AF Nikkor 80-400 f/4.5-5.6D ED VR, AF Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8, AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, AF-S Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D, AI Nikkor 35mm f/2, AI Nikkor 50mm 5/1.8, AI Nikkor 50mm 5/1.8 Series E, AI Nikkor 105mm f/2.5, AI Nikkor 200mm f/4, Non-AI Nikkor-S 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 10-20mm EX f/3.5-5.6, M.Zuiko 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 lens, M.Zuiko PRO 12-40mm f/2.8 ED
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Accessories:
Nikon SB-910 Speedlight, Nikon SB-900 Speedlight, Nikon GP-1 GPS, Nikon ME-1 Microphone, Eye-Fi Wireless Cards, Atomos Ninja Blade External HDMI Video Recorder, Atomos Ninja-2 External HDMI Video Recorder, Atomos Samurai Blade External Video Recorder, Manfrotto Tripods, Markins M-10 Ballhead, Lots of camera bags, Metz 24 AF-1 Flash, Olympus FL-600R Flash, Olympus HLD-7 Battery Grip
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member of:

Nikon Professional Services (NPS), Professional Photographers of America (PPA), North American Nature Photography Association (NANPA), Founding Member of Nikonians Writers' Guild (www.Nikonians.org), Charter Member (year 2000) of Nikonians.org

#5 Rick Paul

Rick Paul

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 01:37 PM

That's really nice shot, Rick!

I've found that animal shots of any type seem to sell well. Another of our members TimZ does a lot of bird imaging and seems to do well on Shutterstock. Tim, how well do you do on the other sites?

Birds are plentiful in Tucson, especially birds of prey. We have owls, Golden Eagles, Red Tailed Hawks, Falcons, Harris Hawks, and others. Also have smaller pretty birds like Cardinals.

I do have some nice bird shots, but they are on film and I don't have a scanner.

Bad news is good bird shots in Tucson takes a LONG lens to get good shots. No 400mm in my arsenal...yet!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users