7 replies to this topic

#1 zapfrog

zapfrog

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:57 AM

Probably been asked a thousand times but I'm at a loss. Coming from the video business thats a whole different ball game. So is it per image, per hour, both, what? I did some local product shots and now I'm getting asked to do more from different businesses and possibly a wedding. Eeek!! I don't want to charge to low but at the same time I'm still learning so I don't want to go to high either BUT I need more gear!!

#2 Donna

Donna

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2410 posts
  • Interests:Photography, gardening, reading, knitting, cooking/baking, exploration with my family..

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:03 AM

Interested to hear what other people have to say as well.
I'm shooting with the D7100 and D60 as my back up.

AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G
AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
AF-S Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED
Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6
Tiffen UV Protector
Tiffen Circular Polarizer

#3 photojazz

photojazz

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19343 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:45 AM

Hmmm, interesting topic.

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

Member of the following organizations:

American Society of Media Professionals

Fairmount Photo Club

NYI PhotoWorld Magazine

Photographic Society of Philadelphia

Philadelphia Photo League (PPL)

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

And I have some lenses.

C&C Is Always Welcome!!
New website coming soon!

#4 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19563 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:49 AM

Wish I could help, I do everything free in keeping with my "amateur" status. <_< * But I am curious too! * meaning.... NO ONE WILL PAY ME ANYTHING! :lol:

Edited by Art, 11 October 2012 - 11:50 AM.

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#5 Herman

Herman

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9836 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, flight simulation, nature, photography and travel

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:19 PM

I can imagine that someone like Jon could share some light on this subject?

Posted Image

:)

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#6 Navcom

Navcom

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Landscape Photographer
    Commercial Pilot
    Business Owner

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:19 PM

Probably been asked a thousand times but I'm at a loss. Coming from the video business thats a whole different ball game. So is it per image, per hour, both, what? I did some local product shots and now I'm getting asked to do more from different businesses and possibly a wedding. Eeek!!

I don't want to charge to low but at the same time I'm still learning so I don't want to go to high either BUT I need more gear!!

I'm coming from a landscape genre background but I've done portraiture and weddings so I can throw in my two cents for what it's worth.

Since it appears from your post that you are looking at doing this for profit (business), you need to approach the question as a business. How much will it cost you to provide the product and what compensation do you need in return for your time and energy. Each product (product shots, weddings, etc.) will be different.

For product shots, you will most likely want to charge a "setup" fee that includes your time to set up for the shoot as well as any travel or other standard expenses you may incur. If it's at your facility, that fee may be different. You might then charge a "package deal" price that includes a number of hours along with a number of final images. This would include your time shooting as well as post processing, etc. Depending on whether the product images need to be electronic or prints would determine how you approach distributing the final product. So many possibilities...so many options for you to decide. :-)

As for weddings. All I can say is that if you've never shot one, consider not doing it. Practice first. Hook up with a local photographer and act as an assistant to learn the ropes. You don't know how many horror stories I've heard of wedding train wrecks. You only get ONE chance and it needs to be spot on. That being said, if the wedding party are family or friends, you can get away with doing it if you are honest up front with your abilities and they are aware you may not get it right. If they know the possibilities going in, it helps easy the inevitable pain. Photographing weddings is a little different than video requiring a bit different skill set. Timing is even more critical.

No matter how you decide to set up your pay structure, consider putting together a business plan first. Doing this will force you to think about many things up front...the local market, what others are doing, what product am I really offering and what market will it cover, how much are others charging, how much do I REALLY need to charge to actually make a profit (much more than you think when you start including all your incidentals in just running a business). From there you can decide what packages to offer and what to charge as it will fit with both you and the local market.

Hope that helps!

Jeff
"Anybody can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple."
Charlie Mingus

Nikon D600, Pentax K5, K20D, K10D
Eagle Vista Photography
Flickr

#7 zapfrog

zapfrog

Planet Basic Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:12 PM

I've come with over twenty years of video and film experience and yes quite a few years doing video for weddings. So I know the drill there but figured I'd ask for the photo side of things.

#8 Jon H.

Jon H.

Deep Space Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4447 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:03 PM

I generally quote on a "project" basis. A per image cost is typically not cost-effective for the client, and I really don't like to quote an hourly rate as I think that diminishes to the perception of the work I do. I figure out what I need to make (pretty much what Navcom said above), and then what I'd LIKE to make, and what I think the client / market will bear. I have no hesitation asking the client up front what their budget is for the project, with the caveat that I'm not interested in maxing their budget, but just want to be sure I'm in their ballpark before we spend much time putting together a quote. J
Jon Haverstick
Southern CA, USA
Portraiture, Wedding, Product, Stage, Real Estate, Corporate, Annual Report, Sports, Event, Special Projects
Photoshop, Lightroom, and Photography Instruction

Website / Blog / Portfolio: www.jonhaverstickstudio.com
Email: jon@jonhaverstickstudio.com

Founding Photographer: Smiles Across The Miles - "Focusing on the Those Who Serve" Pro bono professional portraiture for military personnel and their families.

Publisher: Senior Portraits, Headshots, Two Hearts:One Love, and With this Ring Magazines: http://magcloud.com/.../jchphotography

Professional Memberships:
  • NAPP (National Association of Photoshop Professionals)
  • WPPI (Wedding and Portrait Photographers International)
  • SPS (Student Photographic Society): Educator
  • Nikon Professional Services

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users