Almost ready to develop my first roll.

17 replies to this topic

#1 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2497 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy photography(of course)and I'm a gadget freak, especially if it can be used in photography.

Posted 24 April 2015 - 08:42 PM

Everything is here from B&H. 2 layers of poster board paper keeps light from shining through the bathroom window. I put 2 hooks in the shower but the rope kept sliding off so screws fixed that. The color neg film is to practice loading it on the reel in the dark and to test out my weight while hanging.The F2AS is loaded with FP4. Sunday I'm going on a photowalk and shoot some pinhole images since it's worldwide pinhole photography day. I have a Nikon pinhole body cap I made. Gonna shoot pics of Crystal and I, our cars, her apartment, my house,(and the pinhole images)for the first roll I develop myself. Tonight I practiced with water only getting the liquids to 68 degrees F. Sunday evening I'm gonna develop it.

Attached Images

• DSC_5487.jpg
  • DSC_5495.jpg
  • DSC_5496.jpg
  • DSC_5478.jpg
  • DSC_5480.jpg
  • DSC_5482.jpg
  • DSC_5485.jpg

Bill

Still shooting DX digital and don't plan on going full frame.

D7100, red D5300, IR converted D300,  D40, D70s, Olympus C-5060 P&S from 2003, and a few 35mm film bodies

"I support capital punishment. Everyone in the capital should be punished".---Fred Sanford(Redd Foxx)

#2 480sparky

480sparky

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1392 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:04 PM

There just ain't nothing like hanging the film up after pulling it out of the final wash.

Don't mind me..... I'm just out roaming around between Zone II and Zone IX.
Imagination Images of Iowa

#3 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2497 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy photography(of course)and I'm a gadget freak, especially if it can be used in photography.

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:18 PM

There just ain't nothing like hanging the film up after pulling it out of the final wash.

I can imagine Sparky. In a couple of days I'll know. Been wanting to develop B&W ofr 4 years since I got "back" into film but thought it would be too much work. About a month ago I starting watching videos on Youtube and realized it's not that hard.

Bill

D7100, red D5300, IR converted D300,  D40, D70s, Olympus C-5060 P&S from 2003, and a few 35mm film bodies

"I support capital punishment. Everyone in the capital should be punished".---Fred Sanford(Redd Foxx)

#4 480sparky

480sparky

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1392 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:57 PM

The biggest trick is to get it on the spool without error.  Not wanting to scare you, but sometimes when you're doing 'the real deal', you end up losing a few frames because the film is touching the layer under it.  It's not that common on the nylon spools you have, but more prevalent on stainless steel reels, which is my preference.

The best advice I can give is to let everyone in the household know, which I'm sure you have, that you're going to do this.  Minimize distractions:  Turn the cell phone off or (if you're like me, using a timer app) at least to airplane mode.  Turn off the TV.  Don't try to do this when something else might happen, like when a friend or neighbor stops by on a regular basis. 

Lay everything out in an order that makes sense to you.  Mentally run through the process in your mind and make sure you have everything you need.  Lay out the tank and reels and look at them. Know which direction the spools are facing so when you pick the up in the dark you'll know where the film starts in.  I always lay my spools out so the 'start' of them is facing directly at me, whether it's the nylon or stainless steel.  Lay your scissors out in a logical spot so you'll know where they are and how to pick them up.  Put the fill tube and lid in a position that will be easy to find in the dark. Don't hurry, and don't force anything.  If something goes wrong while rolling up in the spools, stop and take a breather.  Getting mad isn't going to help.  Stay calm and collected, and if need be start all over.  Once the film is on the spool, it's easy to assemble the spools on the fill tube and get everything into the tank.  Once the lid is on, THE hardest part is over.

When it's time to start cooking with soup, it's the same process..... set everything out in an order that makes sense to you.    Be 100% sure you know which is the developer, stop bath and fixer.  Nothing sucks more than pouring in the fixer first.  I lay out chemicals (developer, stop bath & fixer) left to right, both for processing film and prints in the darkroom.   That's MY method. If it works for you that's fine, but if another layout works better, by all means go with it instead. 

Get everything laid out, make sure you've got everything you'll need, and check the temperatures one last time.  Then.......... start the clock!  Pour in your developer and proceed with the instructions.  Have a few rags around to wipe up spills (do NOT use your regular kitchen towels for this!) and before you know it, you'll be pulling the reel out during the wash stage with all the excitement of a 3-year-old on Christmas morning.

The first time can be nerve-wracking (but only if you let it!!!!) and requires a lot of attention. But just remember that this isn't a surgical operation, and no one will die if a mistake is made.  This is 'just' film photography, and the bride & groom aren't going to want their money back either.  But once you get past that first roll and you're admiring your negatives hanging in the bathroom, it's all downhill from there!

BTW, I noticed you don't have a film squeegee in your shot of 'gear'.  Do you have any wetting agent for the final rinse (like Photo-Fo or similar)?

#5 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2497 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:19 PM

I have LFN wetting agent and I'm going to use distilled water with the wetting agent for the final rinse since our water is very hard. I'm gonna pick up a new sponge a the grocery store tomorrow and use it until I get a real film squeegee. I forgot to put the squegee in my B&H orders.

Bill

#6 Dennis

Dennis

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15340 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 24 April 2015 - 11:01 PM

I wouldn't use a sponge,  the emulsion will be soft. What I used to do when the squeegee went missing, was to use my fingers. Place the film between your first and second finger and lightly slide down the film.

Practice is a good idea. If I remember, the nylon reels can be feed slide on, and you don't need to curve the film in. what I used to do was cut the cornners off the end of the film, not a lot. this made it easier to slide it on.

Good luck, have fun. Sparky has good info there.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#7 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2497 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 07:39 PM

I did it! 2 rolls are hanging in the shower to dry and the negs look good so far. I made a huge mistake with one roll. I loaded it into a camera body(N90s)that has power rewind. I assumed I could just pop the back open at the right time and it would stop winding. It kept on and sucked the leader in. I tried to get it out with a film leader retriever for 30 minutes and no luck. I don't know how to pop the cartridges apart so in total darkness I had to destroy the cartridge with a screwdriver. It damaged the film in a few spots but It looks like most are gonna be OK. I did not have that problem with the F2-stopped winding when I heard it come off the take up spool. So at least for now I won't load film I'm gonna dev myself in a body with power rewind.

Bill

#8 Dennis

Dennis

• Moderators
  • 15340 posts
  • Interests:Photography, music, hiking (part of photography).

Posted 26 April 2015 - 07:49 PM

To open the canister, pop bottle opener, the flat type, not the one with the point. I always rewound the film all the way. Never used the extractor. We used the bottle opener in the lab. Quickest way to open and load a 100 rolls into the film processor.

Thanks, Dennis.

Photography: 100 percent art, 100 percent technical. It takes a photographer to blend them into an image.

​Film: That tangible image that you can see and hold.

My Web Site.
My 500px page.

My Instagram.
Member; Colorado Springs Creative Photography Group, NPS member.

Nikon D4, D850, D200, Fm2, FM, Mamiya RB67.

#9 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2497 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 08:16 PM

Yes Dennis I need to get a bottle opener for those times. But I prefer to leave the leader out so I can pull about 3 inches of film and start it on the reel in the light-makes it easier.

Bill

#10 480sparky

480sparky

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1392 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 08:33 PM

I've seen some people open 'em with their thumbs.  I'd get a few thousand blisters doing that.

Don't worry about ruining the cannister.  Each roll of film comes with a new one.

I second the can opener.   I don't use one much since I bulk load, though.

Anyway..... welcome the The Analog Club!

Edited by 480sparky, 26 April 2015 - 08:33 PM.

#11 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2497 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 09:22 PM

Don't worry about ruining the cannister.  Each roll of film comes with a new one.

Anyway..... welcome the The Analog Club!

I'm more worried about damaging the film trying to get the canister apart.

Bill

#12 480sparky

480sparky

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1392 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 09:27 PM

I'm more worried about damaging the film trying to get the canister apart.

You really gotta work hard to do that.  Really hard.  It's just like popping the cap off a soda bottle.  Then just pull the spool out and let the film come out with it.

#13 LightMeter

LightMeter

Galactic Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2497 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 11:17 PM

Here they are.

Attached Images

• DSC_0860.jpg
  • DSC_0863.jpg

Bill

#14 james23p

james23p

• Admin
  • 23648 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 27 April 2015 - 12:21 AM

Looking good Bill! :)

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#15 Herman

Herman

• Moderators
  • 10348 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, computers, nature, photography & travel

Posted 27 April 2015 - 03:04 AM

They look similar to those thingies which hung from the ceiling that we caught flies with.

Have fun, Bill!

😃

Equipment: D810 | D300 | D50 | B700 | P5000 and some lenses.

Software: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 + NIK Software Suite

My motto: To learn more today, than I knew yesterday!

#16 photojazz

photojazz

• Moderators
  • 19639 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Photography, , More Photography, More Photography and now the Philadelphia Eagles.

Posted 27 April 2015 - 04:23 PM

Kool Beans x 7. Looking good.

PhotoJazz - Just Capturing Life
PlanetNikon Member 141

I photo-shoot with film, digital and medium format cameras, which includes the following:
Nikon D605, D200, F4E, F5, FE2 (Black & Silver), EM
Mamiya C330 Professional, M645 1000s, RB67
Bronica ETRSI

iPhone 8+
And I have some lenses.

Additional: Video editing with Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro X 10.4 and LumaFusion

C&C Is Always Welcome!!

#17 480sparky

480sparky

Planet Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1392 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 04:31 PM

OK, now get to work!  We wanna see some scans! :D

#18 Keith M

Keith M

Planet Hero Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:49 AM

Nice job Bill. and welcome to the dark side.

I agree with every one else, get an old fashioned bottle opener, it will pop the top off the film canisters quickly.

Always works even in a dark bag and you won't stab yourself with a screw driver.

"First we have to make you pretty"

Pixels are like beans, it doesn't matter how many you put in the pot, it's how well you can cook that counts.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users