2 replies to this topic

#1 ericbowles

ericbowles

Planet Guardian Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:20 AM

Nikon announced the development of a 500mm f/5.6 PF lens. The lens will contain the same type of PF element used on the 300 f/4 PF and be relatively small in size and weight. Pricing and availability will be announced later this year.

https://www.nikonusa...ormat-Lens.html

This looks like a great new lens. The 300 f/4 PF is wonderful and delivered in a small, light form factor. This promises to be similar.

I'd expect this lens to be sharper than the 200-500 and near the performance of the 500 f/4. It will probably work pretty well with the 1.4 teleconverter with good light. And more importantly, it will be very easy to handhold or use with minimal support, good for birds in flight and similar action, and much better for travel. As a travel lens, for travel to Africa, South America, or similar exotic locations, the lower weight and compact size make this lens a great choice.

Pricing is pure speculation right now. The 300 f/4 PF sells for $1996 US. My guess is a price in the $3000 range would make it a top seller and it's possible they could sell it a little lower. It's probably worth considering even at $4000, but then you have to consider the alternatives like a used 500 f/4 VR or just stick with the 200-500 or 300mm f/4 PF.

It's interesting that nobody is selling a 500 f/5.6 lens right now.  With better high ISO performance and better focus, it sounds like there is a good opportunity.  The much lower price and smaller size make this lens very attractive.  The 200-500 is excellent, but focus is not very fast and it's not prime lens quality.

Eric Bowles

Bowles Images

www.bowlesimages.com

Join my Workshops and Tours - Workshops and Private Instruction 

#2 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21214 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:43 AM

Well, that is an interesting bit of news.  Thanks for the link, Eric.

I am looking forward to seeing this new beast.  Especially if the price is reasonable.

f5.6 is not very impressive, but I guess they are thinking:

- cameras have hi ISO so, this might not be a factor

- price is everything

- weight

- cost to product

- utilize the new FP technology

I don't blame them, I will wait and see. Hopefully, it is tack sharp.  I have not read any reviews on the 300mm FP lens, I have not been in the market so I have had little interest.  I will have to take a look.

A good price point on this will make it a hit, I am sure.  Most likely, that is what they are looking for.  Good for them.  Good news, I think.

Signature_Line_V4

#3 Ron W

Ron W

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7019 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 09:09 AM

Great news, this will be a big hit with BIF enthusiasts, looking forward to it.

www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users