4 replies to this topic

#1 Black Pearl

Black Pearl

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5313 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 01:23 PM

Its that time of year in the UK where we have endless dull days with flat light, grey skies and drizzle. A British stiff upper lip is most definitely needed if you want to take your camera out and it helps to work with the weather not fight it.

*** THIS IS NOT SELECTIVE COLOUR ***

Just thought I would get that in first to make sure you all understand that my utter, complete and deep set hatred for selective colour (colour popping) images is still strong. I despise them with a fevered, intense, sweaty-palmed passion, always have, always will - however - I don't mind images with a muted palette or where you can make the most of a feature. This being understood I shall continue.

Monday morning I had a couple of hours spare before work, a dog that needed a walk and an itchy trigger finger. I knew the light was terrible so packed my Samyang 12mm with its 10 stopper with the intention of maximising the grey by blaring away detail in the sky and water. I had this shot in mind as I set out and it worked better than I had hoped. This is not selective colour, it is simply a one minute exposure where there was little to no colour in the landscape and a dirty great big red lighthouse stuck slap bang in the middle of the frame. I have boosted the reds by 15% as the light was very flat and the clarity in the clouds has been tweaked but otherwise its pretty much as the camera spat it out.

5a12f3eaa28cf_GroyneWeb.jpg.867be751e84c

A bit further up the beach are the remains of a WW1 flying boat jetty that has slowly been worn away having been taken down decades ago. At low tide these posts can still be seen and offer a nice bit of foreground interest. Again this is a long exposure but this time I've softened the tones to emphasise the softness of the day. If any of you have camera that can accept the Samyang (Rokinor) 12mm f2 then I would highly recommend getting hold of one. It is inexpensive, sharp, small, lightweight and really good fun to shoot with.

5a12f3ebccdba_PostWeb.jpg.afa54edfa149d3

One last shot from the same location. I had intended to shoot from behind this with the clouds blurring a little like they are in the first shot. When I walked up to the sculpture though I spotted a puddle so plonked the camera on the ground right at its edge and left it to run an exposure for about a minute. The original file was very flat so this has had a bit of work on it to voice things up.

5a12f5d5a2e5d_EyeEyeWeb.jpg.0112a621a462

Roll on Spring and the chance of a blue sky or two  ;)

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him.

#2 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Deep Space Master Member

• Members
  • 6275 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 26 November 2017 - 02:17 PM

Robin, I saw the first image on your FB page.  Liked it then and still like it now.  Great series.

I don't have strong feelings about colour popping.  I just feel that if I'm converting an image to monochrome, just go all the way and make something nice of it.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#3 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19732 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Video Games (Call of Duty: Black Ops and World at War), Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :)

Posted 26 November 2017 - 07:44 PM

Very nice series, Robin.

I too don't mind color popping, it can be very creative. If you can create an image without software, like your lighthouse, all the power to you!

...................... 🎥 Just another Photography buff! 🎥 .....................

|_____________________________________________________|

#4 Wheatsack

Wheatsack

Deep Space Master Member

• Moderators
  • 6575 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 11:01 PM

Nice work BP.

Peter................................................ f8....and be there....

#5 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22688 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 27 November 2017 - 12:27 AM

Nice BP!

Jim

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

D700 w/MB-D10, D605 w/MB-D14, D200 w/MB-D200, D50, Coolpix P330.

Nikon 1 stuff: Nikon V1, Nikkor 10mm f2.8 pancake w/HN-N101 & HC-N101, Nikkor 10-30mm f3.5-5.6 w/HB-N101 Aspherical VR,, Nikkor 18.5mm f1.8 w/HB-N104, Nikon 1 FT-1, SB-N5 w/Polaroid Diffuser .

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D, Nikkor 18-35 f3.5-4.5 AF-D ED.

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG HSM, Tamron's SP 70-200 f2.8 LD Di IF/Macro BIM, Kenko Pro 300 1.4 TC DGX, Tokina 100 f2.8D Macro At-X.

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users