#1 Sailjunkie

Sailjunkie

Eon Timewave Hero Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8224 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Sailing, Listening to Jazz, Reading

Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:57 PM

Nikon Rumours posted this.  Looks like he got it from the Nikon USA site. 

https://nikonrumors....px/#more-146602

I wasn't surprised by the contents.  Confirms what folks like Thom Hogan have been saying for awhile.  :)

Mark

D810
Various lenses

Member, Canadian Association for Photographic Art

http://markshawphotography.ca

#2 james23p

james23p

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24214 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid film user and digital user. I enjoy both formats and firmly believe they can live side by side.

Right Jazz! :D

Posted 28 May 2020 - 03:08 PM

Interesting read.

God bless all those in harms way and Go Navy!

Nikon P900 Nikon P330

F100 w MB-15, N80, FM3a, FE2(Black and Silver) and EM.

Nikkor 24-85G ED AF-S VR, 70-300G ED AF-S VR, 28-105 3.5-4.5 AF-D, 50 1.8 AF-D

Nikon Series E lens, 28mm, 100mm, 135mm, 75-150mm, 70-210 f4.

MF Nikkor's 50 f2 Ai, 500 f4 ED Ai-P.

MF Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ED AE UMC(Ai-P)

MF Rokinon 85mm f1.4 ASP AE UMC(Ai-P)

Pro Manfrotto 055XV with Markins M10 ,Sirui P-326 6-Section Carbon Fiber Monopod with Markins Q3 Emille, Manfrotto Compact MKC3-H01M with Combo Head, 3Pod PTT1H Table Top Tripod with Giottos MH1304 Ballhead.

#3 Art

Art

Eon Timewave Master Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22370 posts
  • Interests:I have way too many interests and they include: Photography, My 2014 Mustang, Military History, Strategy Games, Computer Devices, Science Fiction, Movie Buff, Bad Science Fiction Movies of all types, Military Strategy Game Collector, Nikon Film Camera Collector, WWI 1/144 scale Plane collector, Wings of Glory and more... :). Nikon NPS Member. Professional Photographer.

Posted 28 May 2020 - 04:29 PM

Thanks for the link, Mark.

I don't like the one slide with the comment, "Strengthen China Business." I am the complete other end of the spectrum here.  We recently purchased a Toaster Oven ... took it home, "Made in China"..... RETURNED TO STORE.

I am making a serious, serious effort to stop buy goods made in Communist China.  If this is where Nikon is making their investment.... well, I will be purchasing less product.  I don't care if I pay more.  I do NOT want my money going to Communist China.

This is how I feel right now. I am surprised at Nikon a little bit.

There is going to be a huge economic fall out in the coming months and a lot of people want China to PAY! I am one of them.

OK, off my hate Commies rant....

The photography industry from my small perspective is in big trouble. I am hearing people are postponing weddings!! So, this is #1 photographer money maker.

There is no sports to speak of.

No one is thinking portraits.

So, what is left? Product Photography?

- with 10,000 hungry photographers who will be offering to pay, to get the work?

How is a high end, premium brand that charges top dollar going to sustain itself in a market place that has no disposable cash? Locally, I am seeing big chains selling off Easter Product that arrived by the boatload for an Easter than never happened for $1.  The lines ups outside the stores were huge.  The losses inside the store...equally huge.  But what are you going to do with the product?

My daughters company.... you may have heard of it.... Hudson's Bay, has been giving things away to staff! Chocolates and other items that will be stale date and have no hope in selling.  This is all profit out the window. I am sure the camera companies are sitting on full warehouses as well.  Nikon just started a spring sale, but the discounts are nothing spectacular, which tells me the Captain hasn't gone below deck yet to look at the damage and water coming in!

So, it will speed up the Z line.  That's nice.  And.... sell it to whom? I wonder if Nikon realizes their trajectory is a downward one? Their sales and revenue contract every year, it is managed, they are financially in good shape, but their curve is not an upward curve! A controlled Shrinkage in all aspects of your business, from Market Share to Bottom line is not sustainable model of business  in the long run.

I am not dumping on Nikon (I have been thinking about the industry for the last month or so), but I suspect Canon is having the same meeting, SONY, Olympus and Fuji, just to name a few.  Everyone has the same plan selling to a market that primarily has gone to sleep for the foreseeable future. The companies that will still be floating will be the ones with other businesses to sustain them, namely, the fittest will be the ones who are the most diversified and can at the very least, break even with their bottom line and ride out the storm.

Lucky for Nikon, they are entering the storm with a PROFIT from operations last year.  So, they are heading into the storm in a good position. That is the bright light in all this.

However, saying they are going to do all these great things to right the ship is a whole different story than fixing the gapping hole caused by the iceberg that is running from Stem to Stern.  Unfortunately, I see a very dim future for the photography we have enjoyed the last 10 years or so.

I hope I am wrong.

Signature_Line_V4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users